Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

circled color green on mad_prof's image overlapping ground to positive, as you can see there is copper trace underneath the led ball. possible shorting it out.

Comment

I have been getting good results with a 936A clone and the tip shown.
      This is an Intel 945 chipset mainboard, notice the small surface mount resistors that are needed to be careful with.
      Also, the speaker surrounds are often deteriorated causing tinny sound and nasty rattling. I have been using liquid silicone to repair them with varying results. The speakers in this A200 worked out very well, no rattles and good bass.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by rievax_60; 02-18-2014, 05:09 PM.

Comment

I actually use the same tip. Also good for cleaning the solder off for reballing.
        Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 02-18-2014, 05:28 PM.
        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Cleaning up the board and removing solder. This was all I could manage. Even managed to break one of the caps. Good thing I had a spare.

That blob just wont go away!!!
          Attached Files

Comment

What is the brand and model of your iron? I f you can find someone to help, heating the area with a temperature controlled heat gun will help the iron melt the solder. If you dont have any flux, I find that candle wax sort of works ok.

Comment

Originally posted by dupetank View Post
              Cleaning up the board and removing solder. This was all I could manage. Even managed to break one of the caps. Good thing I had a spare.

That blob just wont go away!!!

Looks like some heat damage to those traces due to long contact times, It does appear you are not using flux which may be your problem, find a roll of solder that comes with a rosin core (which is a flux core,) don't use hard solder that is typically found in plumbing.

Like someone said what is the brand/model/wattage of your iron?
              Last edited by Mad_Professor; 02-22-2014, 04:13 AM.

Comment

i have same problem when i replace e907 not working anymore only power and the fan is working and the voltage across the e9o7 is 2v then goes to almost 4volts does anyone knows the problem

Comment

Originally posted by mrsuave001 View Post
                  i have same problem when i replace e907 not working anymore only power and the fan is working and the voltage across the e9o7 is 2v then goes to almost 4volts does anyone knows the problem
                  before you ask that someone help you post some pictures about that cap (zone)
                  macro so we can see what you did.
                  nobody can assume what its there
                  Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

ihave same problems but the voltage across e907 is 2v to 4v need help before it's working but when i replace it not working anymore

Comment

Pictures!!
                      Macro!
                      Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Man please, post some pictures of what you did so that people here can help you. And also put some captions or markings where the measurements are.

Replacing tokins are not that easy because a lot of things should be considered. you must know where the positive and the negative terminals and how you place the tantalums.

Comment

Does anybody had problems similar to me? I just replaced tokin cap from acer 4736z with 4 tantalum caps which I always do and now laptop shows no sign of life. I have already done this before but I guess this time something went wrong. I'm sure I have not shorted anything during the process I was quite careful all the time. I'm really confuse now

Comment

I strongly suspect that in some machines, the outer + strips are not connected in the PCB and relies on the connection through the old nec/tokin capacitor.
                            I have not been able to have anyone understand this.

Comment

Surprisingly, laptop now has power and the blue led light lit. All I did was cleaned the whole motherboard. Maybe metallic dust interfered with some power rails which also caused regulator ic (PU4) to become hot. I haven't tested if it displays. I already cleaned my space and kept the parts as I was ready to leave. I hope tomorrow will have a positive result.

Come to think of it, as I was soldering the caps, my chair broke and almost drop myself on the floor. maybe some lead dropped around the board.

Comment

Originally posted by lezsimply View Post
                                Surprisingly, laptop now has power and the blue led light lit. All I did was cleaned the whole motherboard. Maybe metallic dust interfered with some power rails which also caused regulator ic (PU4) to become hot. I haven't tested if it displays. I already cleaned my space and kept the parts as I was ready to leave. I hope tomorrow will have a positive result.

Come to think of it, as I was soldering the caps, my chair broke and almost drop myself on the floor. maybe some lead dropped around the board.
                                There was an Acer laptop, possibly that model, that would be damaged beyond repair if a few vias in the middle were destroyed or something like that - they were connected to the thermal sensor. Someone else may remember which one. The vias were under the tokin in that example. Maybe possible?
                                Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

The laptop is working perfectly now. cleaning the board might have fixed it. I think you were right I saw 2 points at the center. I scratched the center to create copper trace for the caps to fit and filled it with lead.

When board got no power. I removed caps and check if something got shorted. I managed to redo the trace and removed some excess solder then suddenly two points emerged. I decided to clean the board and resolder caps and it worked. I did not put any solder at those point leaving a space at the middle. Do you think that may have fixed it?

I cannot picture the caps anymore as it is with the client.

Comment

I'm uploading pics now. Its not the best but I put marks on it (dots).
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jeremykum View Post
                                      It's true, OE907 new value is about range at 1200uF. Measured with my Atlas ESR70. OE128 is well above 1500uF new.

Also I am aware that heat stress when fixing this chip above 225 degree celsius does affect the chip, I read somewhere on the datasheet of Altera test method and recommended heat profiling for IR Workstation.
                                      Hi Jeremykum,
                                      Recently I have ordered some of the ceramic capacitors from overseas to be replaced on my MSI-CR400 motherboard which has defective NEC Tokin on it. I have actually removed the tokin and yet the capacitors that i need still in the delivering process. In the meantime i think i need to clean up the defective area which happen to be the place where the NEC Tokin is mounted before, and ready to be mounted with capacitors again (bottom of the PCB). May I know what type of alcohol needed to clean up the area (+ or - pads)? Can I use 'Isoprophyl Alcohol' as mentioned from other sources? Do you mind if you can tell me what should i used to measured the new ceramic capacitors value?
                                      Attached Files
                                      "If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way."
                                      -Napoleon Hill

"The chip that functions abnormally will be desoldered, as they say."
                                      -Charles Stross

"Why is it you're always too small or too tall?"
                                      -The Mad Hatter

Comment

Hi again!
                                        I finally got a 2nd hand pcb today to replace the one I ruined by scraping too deeply and causing continuity, but unfortunately the laptop still has a problem.
                                        -It just shuts down after a few seconds (3-15secs) whether its on battery OR plugged in (with or without battery), even with dynamic proc set to low. I did notice that the shutdown comes sooner if I power it up again immediately.
                                        -but it never goes into a reboot cycle.
                                        (-it sometimes hangs without display for a long time (no POST?), but moving the screen about will wake it up (I guess the LCD cable isn't in good shape), only to go back to shutting down after a few seconds. )

Even if the symptoms were slightly different, I decided to change the 907 with 4x330 because that is probably why the PCB was on sale anyway, but there's still no difference.
                                        Is this not a nec tokin issue?

I've heard about checking vcore or other faulty caps.... I do have 2 PCBs to work with...
                                        I'd really like to check if the new PCB I got is faulty, or if my own processor or gpu is damaged.
                                        Last edited by stryed; 03-12-2014, 10:57 PM. Reason: details

Comment

try to add 2 more and see if it helps, I had success with 6 caps installed.

Comment

Working...
                                          X