Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Acer AL2416 AL2416W 24" 1920x1280 LCD Monitor

Originally posted by sle118 View Post
    The problems started with fume coming from the upper left corner of the monitor, and shortly after the left side was completely dim.

Measurements on the board revealed a shorted Q6, a blown F2 fuse and bulged C36, C38 caps.

I replaced all capacitors as well as
    Fuse F2 (replaced with marking J)
    Q4 P2804BDG
    Q6 faulty P5504EDG
    Q3 P2804BDG
    Q5 P5504EDG

And a quick test shows the monitor is back to life. I will now have it turned on for a little while to see if it will hold well.

Otherwise, I saw some inverter board on eBay for $29 shipping included so I might just order one.
    After a couple of weeks of service, the monitor died once again and now the boards on eBay are in the range of $50.

Not sure if it is worth attempting the repair again... Perhaps I had the wrong type of caps for the replacement?

Comment

What brand/series caps did you use? Also, check the fuse and mosfets you replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
        What brand/series caps did you use? Also, check the fuse and mosfets you replaced.
        I used whatever caps were available from a local supplier... Would they be THAT weak and blow up after only 2 weeks of use?

Comment

They could do! are you sure they were in the right way round?
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
            They could do! are you sure they were in the right way round?
            Polarity was respected for all of them.

I'll see if the fuse held well, but juging by the buzzing sound coming from the inverter board, I suspect something is shorted again...

Comment

This is my first post, and I have a general LCD monitor related question, so I am starting here and would receive instruction as to a better place to post. I am replacing the CCFL lamps in a Sceptre X22wg-1080p, and I may have changed the film layers by mistake. The bottommost layer is a reflective white sheet, then comes the Glass light guide with an etched grid on one side- and I need to know which way that etched surface goes, towards the bottom or the top, then I need the order of the two Prism Sheets (V and H), if there is a top or bottom orientation, if it makes a difference. Finally the same with the protector sheet on top of the others and below the lcd panel.

Comment

So I have this same monitor it displays the ACER logo when you turn it on then goes black, and the LED stays green when there is an input, amber when there isn't. I was checking out the inverter board and looks like I need to replace the 10 usual caps, but it also looks like I need to replace one of the plastic blue ones and I have no idea what to replace it with. Here are a couple of pics of my inverter board
                Attached Files

Comment

That blue component is an inductor, you did not damage it that bad, just melted the plastic case, that's all.
                  Never stop learning
                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by Zeigren View Post
                    So I have this same monitor it displays the ACER logo when you turn it on then goes black, and the LED stays green when there is an input, amber when there isn't. I was checking out the inverter board and looks like I need to replace the 10 usual caps, but it also looks like I need to replace one of the plastic blue ones and I have no idea what to replace it with. Here are a couple of pics of my inverter board
                    I take it the first picture is the right side and the second picture is the left side? This is what happens when the guy ahead of you does a half baked repair. He should have replaced all of the caps in this case, to prevent future problems.
                    You'll also want to check the (2) NIKOS P2804BDG mosfets and the (2) NIKOS P5504EDG mosfets. And the (3) little white fuses marked with an "M".
                    When the repair is done properly, it will last. If it turns out you have a shorted mosfet, just send me a PM. I think I have a couple extra's somewhere.
                    And like budm says. Don't worry about the blue plastic inductor. I did that once too when I wasn't paying attention. Wondered where that burning plastic smell was coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumberjack777 View Post
                      I take it the first picture is the right side and the second picture is the left side? This is what happens when the guy ahead of you does a half baked repair. He should have replaced all of the caps in this case, to prevent future problems.
                      You'll also want to check the (2) NIKOS P2804BDG mosfets and the (2) NIKOS P5504EDG mosfets. And the (3) little white fuses marked with an "M".
                      When the repair is done properly, it will last. If it turns out you have a shorted mosfet, just send me a PM. I think I have a couple extra's somewhere.
                      And like budm says. Don't worry about the blue plastic inductor. I did that once too when I wasn't paying attention. Wondered where that burning plastic smell was coming from.
                      Yeah my friend bought it from Goodwill, so who knows who had it before and the inductor was like that so I wasn't sure about what happened but yeah looks like whoever tried to fix it got a bit too close Thanks! I'll check those out ASAP which might be awhile since I'm flying down to Cali.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeigren View Post
                        There are a few threads about this monitor in this forum, did you already read them? Search for '2416', '2416BW' or simply for 'Acer'. I posted my efforts in repairing my 2 2416's in a number of threads, one of them is https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17052 They may prove helpful in your repairs.

I'd start with replacing all the caps on the inverter board. The original ones are relatively small, so you have to make sure the replacements will physically fit. And do watch out for the correct polarity when soldering them in!

Looking at your photo's the coil does not appear to be internally damaged. It can't hurt to measure both coils for continuity, as you now have the monitor cracked open anyway. But I highly doubt there's anything wrong with it.

The FET's are difficult to get hold of, but judging by your description I don't think they're kaput (yet). If either they or the microfuses were shot, you would not even get a visible image for just a few seconds.

If replacing the caps doesn't result in a stable picture, it's probably the HV circuitry or wiring to the lamps that's defective, maybe the lamps themselves. Bear in mind that replacement lamps are expensive and very delicate. They break before you even know it (speaking from experience ).

re-atari

Comment

To the brains of this forum.

I bought a replacement inverter board, and replaced my old one (which worked for about 2 weeks after repair).

The problem I have now is that there is no picture when I turn the monitor on. Then, when turning off the monitor, I see a perfect picture flashing just before the power light turns amber.

Anyone has a clue on where this could be coming from ? At this point, having spent $60 on this monitor, I would love to see it work again...

Comment

To the brains of this forum.

I bought a replacement inverter board, and replaced my old one (which worked for about 2 weeks after repair).

The problem I have now is that there is no picture when I turn the monitor on. Then, when turning off the monitor, I see a perfect picture flashing just before the power light turns amber.

Anyone has a clue on where this could be coming from ? At this point, having spent $60 on this monitor, I would love to see it work again...
                            Bump?

The problem might best be described as:

Turn on monitor: no picture, no logo
                            Turn off monitor: Perfect picture for a second, then power light is amber and no picture

Comment

Bump?

The problem might best be described as:

Turn on monitor: no picture, no logo
                              Turn off monitor: Perfect picture for a second, then power light is amber and no picture
                              That's some weired behavior. I can't really imagine what might be causing it, but it looks, sounds and talks like the PSU board malfunctioning. Does the power led stay green continuously when the monitor is switched on?

The PSU caps might need replacing, but they may already have killed some other components on the PSU board. As you already spent a fair amount of money on fixing the monitor, it might be worth spending another $ 15 or so to replace the PSU caps with low ESR types of a reputable brand.

Too bad you don't have another 2416 present, as swapping boards is by far the easiest way to determine which board(s) contain faulty components.

re-atari

Comment

Originally posted by re-atari View Post
                                Too bad you don't have another 2416 present, as swapping boards is by far the easiest way to determine which board(s) contain faulty components.

re-atari
                                The strange thing is that with the old inverter board, with fried components, the picture shows up with the left side of the picture dim. This seems to point to the inverter board not being recognized by the main board or something along these lines. I have requested refund from the eBay seller, but it's going to be an uphill battle.

Comment

The strange thing is that with the old inverter board, with fried components, the picture shows up with the left side of the picture dim.
                                  On first sight that suggests the PSU is working, although it still might have a problem under the hood. It could just be the PSU can't deliver enough power to light the entire screen, but does have enough juice for lighting only part of the screen without the protection circuit kicking in.

BTW: the behavior you describe with the original inverter is what happened on one of my 2416's. It had only half of its screen lit (can't remember if it was the left or right half), gradually going dim to the other side. It turned out the inverter board has 2 identical circuits for firing the backlight lamps, each one going to one side of the lamps. On this 2416 the FETs and microfuse on one side of the inverter board were shot, on the other side they were OK.
                                  The behavior with the replacement inverter is a bit strange, who knows what triggers it. Especially since you wrote the monitor did work for about 2 weeks...

It's a long shot, but you might consider trying to fix the original inverter board. That is, if you feel your skills are up for it. FETs are delicate and can be damaged by static electrity, and desoldering the defective ones was a bit of a struggle. But with due care it can be done. You could try finding a local electronics shop, maybe one of its employees is willing to do the repair for you?
                                  I got both my 2416's on their feet by replacing all caps on the inverters with low ESR types (important!) and using equivalents for the (hard to find) FETs. The electronics shop where I got the materials did not carry microfuses, so I used resistor shaped fuses instead.

This seems to point to the inverter board not being recognized by the main board or something along these lines. I have requested refund from the eBay seller, but it's going to be an uphill battle.
                                  In this setting it's hard to determine if this inverter board is defective, or was already defective when it was shipped to you. I hope you manage to sort it out with the seller, though.

re-atari
                                  Last edited by re-atari; 05-09-2013, 02:34 AM.

Comment

It could just be the PSU can't deliver enough power to light the entire screen, but does have enough juice for lighting only part of the screen without the protection circuit kicking in.
                                    I thought about this and tried connecting only one half of the circuit with no luck. I already attempted a repair on the original board, and it lasted about 2 weeks at 8~10 hours/day until it failed again. I didn't investigate the root cause this time; the fuse is blown up again (I actually verified that) but i am unsure about the FETs or the capacitors. I thought it would be easier to just go ahead and get a replacement board altogether, but it looks like even this is a risky business.

In this setting it's hard to determine if this inverter board is defective, or was already defective when it was shipped to you. I hope you manage to sort it out with the seller, though.
                                    I have to recommend yjlcdbusiness on ebay, which sold me the replacement inverter board. This seller kept a good communication channel all the time and eventually agreed to refund the faulty board. All I have to pay now is for the duty taxes.

I'll think about what to do next... Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and purchase a new monitor; this one served me well for many years and it lacks a display port connector/controler.

Thanks for the reply

Comment

" then power light is amber and no picture" even if the inverter board is bad, the LED should not turn amber, when it turns amber, the inverter is turned off, same for the T-CON board. If you look for INV ON (or bl_on) signal, more likely it iwll not be present when LED is amber.
                                      Never stop learning
                                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Allright,

I gave one last shot at my original board. Since I was sure the fuse was blown, I replaced it and voila! The monitor is back to life.

So the inverter board from eBay was likely faulty. So the question now is what the right value for the fuse? I saw people saying it was 'W', others were saying 'M'. I got a 'J' surface mount fuse, rated at 1.25A. Not sure how long the new fuse will hold. Crossing fingers.

Comment

I thought about this and tried connecting only one half of the circuit with no luck.
                                          As a test you could try running the monitor fully assembled, but with all connectors to the backlight lamps disconnected. Check if you can faintly see an image on the entire screen with a flashlight. If that's the case, the fault lies with the replacement inverter. If it's not, I'm more or less clueless. Any further investigation will require testing voltages with a multimeter for starters.
                                          My instinct tells me it's the PSU, but that's way to small a basis to go out and buy a replacement PSU... I'll check the photo's I made of my PSU and videoboard again for possible suspect caps. I'm not too keen on opening up my 2416's again.

I already attempted a repair on the original board, and it lasted about 2 weeks at 8~10 hours/day until it failed again. I didn't investigate the root cause this time; the fuse is blown up again (I actually verified that) but i am unsure about the FETs or the capacitors. I thought it would be easier to just go ahead and get a replacement board altogether, but it looks like even this is a risky business.
                                          Yes, I misread your earlier posts, thought you wrote the replacement board worked for 2 weeks. I only later on realised you actually said it was the repair that failed
                                          If the fuse has gone again, one or more of the FETs on its side of the inverter will be shot as well. Test both FETs for shorts wih your multimeter. Did you after your repair by any chance check if they ran hot?
                                          The 10 caps on the board do really need to be low ESR (105 degrees), standard types (85 degrees) will either not work at all or fail quickly with possibly expensive collateral damage. Chances are that's what happened with your repair...

I'll think about what to do next... Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and purchase a new monitor; this one served me well for many years and it lacks a display port connector/controler.
                                          I know what you mean, both my 2416's only have a VGA port, not even DVI although the traces are present on the PCB. I already figured how to retrofit a DVI port and even acquired the necessary components, but in the end did not go through with this project. The SMD's were just too small to handle, let alone solder them in correctly.
                                          So I just left it at that and donated the monitors to each of the kids, to see the smiles on their faces was priceless

re-atari

Comment

Working...
                                          X