My OTA HD Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My OTA HD Setup

I thought I'd write up how I get my TV, for anyone who's interested in trying something similar for themselves or such.

You must be logged in to see the pictures.

I'm not the biggest fan of television, but there ARE a few shows I enjoy (House, The Office, Family Guy, Two and a Half Men, etc. etc.) However I'm always at work or outside the house for one reason or another and I sure as hell ain't gonna adjust my life around the tv shows I want to watch. The only solution was a DVR. However, I'm broke! Here for your consideration is my solution.

PART I: The DVR

I own a modest computer. Core 2 Duo e7500, 6GB DDR2, 640GB HDD, Radeon 4850 Graphics. Not a crazy powerful rig, but that C2D and Radeon 4850 will still kick some ass. After a little browsing and searching, I found the solution at Fry's on sale for $29.99:

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16815306006

A Diamond HD Wonder ATSC tuner card, with the ATI theater chip which does hardware MPEG-2 decoding and interfaces with my Radeon 4850's GPU to ensure my CPU doesn't do a damn thing in terms of video decoding.

My computer was already running Windows 7 Ultimate, which features the excellent Windows 7 Media Center.

PART II: The Media Source

It's a long story, but I wasn't able to run our basic cable to the tuner. Guess our only option is to go with... Over The Air (OTA) reception! OTA is completely free and keeps with our theme of low cost.

The Lumenlab forum has a sticky with diagrams for a basic DIY antenna that can be built for less than $10 (free registration required to view thread):

http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9613

If you look out the window of my room, there is a supply shed that belongs to our neighbor that extends out a few feet. I decided I would mount my antenna there and run some weatherproof shielded RG-6 inside my room.

I built the antenna using a 2x4, two sets of dollar store cooling racks, bent coat hangers, and sloppily-applied silicone caulking for weatherizing. Additionally, I brushed a thin coat of motor oil over the entire thing to further protect it. Folks, it ain't pretty - but it works. Here are the pics:

Here is the homebuilt antenna itself.

Zoomed out a little bit so you can see what it's sitting on. This is what you would see if you were to look directly out my bedroom window. My neighbor has a satellite dish and a pair of anchored RG-6 wires, so I just piggybacked MY RG-6 and the antenna onto her wire with zip-ties.

Picture of my window and the outside view. I had to run the RG-6 in through a hole in my screen (you can see it in the pic). The weather is starting to warm up, so I can leave the window cracked 24/7 but I need to get something figured out before the end of summer.

The antenna has been serving me for almost two months now. I have gotten steady reception on all the major OTA networks (Fox, NBC, another local station, PBS). I have ZERO dropouts, even momentary ones. Really clean, steady signal.

Here's some screenshots of recordings I've made:

Cuddy (House):

The Office:

Two and a Half Men:

ATSC OTA is really amazing, as long as you have a decent signal you will get steady HD with no dropouts. Using an antenna to watch TV today is nothing like how it was years ago when we had NTSC.

Thoughts? Comments? Has anybody else built their own antenna?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by weirdlookinguy; 03-30-2010, 02:48 PM.

Re: My OTA HD Setup

Update: I just realized the wood I used isn't 2x4, it's something else. Not really important, but thought I'd mention it.

Also forgot to mention that I have my machine turn itself on every day at noon (a few hours before I get home) and shut itself off at midnight. That way I won't miss any recordings, but I don't have to let the thing run 24/7 either.

Comment

Antenna??? I don't even know if we have any OTA broadcasts in the USA anymore but your "teena" looks good to me. I have a TV card or two and the cable runs right under my desk. I just might have to give it a try. There are a few upgrades that I need to do first. For my cards I need to be on Windows Media Center Xp. I do have this progie brand new but my video card needs to be upgraded to run it. If I could get my few favorite TV shows on this thing I would only need to leave this chair to crap and go fishing.....
      "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
      Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
      John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
      Rod Serling

Comment

http://www.mythtv.org/

Watch and record analog and/or digital TV, including HDTV.
        Pause, skip, and rewind live TV shows.
        Completely automatic commercial detection/skipping, with manual correction via an intuitive cutlist editor.
        Intelligently schedules recordings to avoid conflicts.
        Parental controls to keep your kids out of the good shows.
        Watch and archive DVDs.
        Listen to your digital music collection.
        Schedule and administer many functions remotely via a web browser.
        Flexible client/server architecture allows multiple frontend client machines to access content served by one or more backend servers (although the most common installation consists of a single computer running both the client and server together).
        Many more...

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy
          ATSC OTA is really amazing, as long as you have a decent signal you will get steady HD with no dropouts. Using an antenna to watch TV today is nothing like how it was years ago when we had NTSC.

Thoughts? Comments? Has anybody else built their own antenna?
          Haven't built my own antenna, but have been exploring trying to get OTA signals. When I put together the HTPC, I used an AVerTVHD Duet, which has dual tuners (ATSC/ClearQAM) using a single input. It's quite nice at a good price point. Right now we're about 40 miles from the nearest transmitter cluster, and I haven't tried any antennas yet because we'll be moving in the next year or so (another 10 miles away!)... I wasn't able to pick up a single OTA broadcast (OK, we got 1 religious channel in Spanish) using a small indoor antenna that I borrowed from a friend. I guess we need one of the larger directional antennas to get anything at this distance.

One question I wanted to ask: How far away from the nearest transmitter cluster are you?

Comment

According to AntennaWeb.org, I'm 31.7 miles away from the nearest cluster (I'm in northern San Diego county), and my reception is fantastic with this home-built antenna jig I have going.

You should register at the Lumenlab forum and take a look around. I've seen several variations of the DIY antenna and there's plenty of people who are 40+ away from the towers. Lots of good info if you want to get some OTA going.
            Last edited by weirdlookinguy; 03-30-2010, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a nice setup! I am in the planning stages of a similar rig that will be a dedicated HTPC hooked up to a 720p projector and 5.1 surround sound. One of my main stumbling blocks is finding a decent tuner card which supports ClearQAM and ATSC, but on two separate physical connections (I want to be able to tune both on one card). I will also be using Win7's Media Center, it has really matured quite a bit since the initial release on XP. There is a lot of good info on MCE at thegreenbutton.com. People have made MCE plugins for Hulu and all sorts of other streaming content.

Anyways, nice work! Glad you're enjoying it

Comment

Originally posted by weirdlookinguy
                According to AntennaWeb.org, I'm 31.7 miles away from the nearest cluster (I'm in northern San Diego county), and my reception is fantastic with this home-built antenna jig I have going.

You should register at the Lumenlab forum and take a look around. I've seen several variations of the DIY antenna and there's plenty of people who are 40+ away from the towers. Lots of good info if you want to get some OTA going.
                Very nice! I might have to do some tinkering once we settle into our new place. I'll head over to Lumenlab and take a look, it sounds like a great place to learn. One other place that I recommend that's similar to AntennaWeb.org is tvfool.com. It has the same type of transmitter location information, but seems to be more detailed in some places.

Comment

hey! someone else is a fan of MCE!

agree with thegreenbutton.com suggestions.

i use OTA + QAM + DTA... pain in the butt configing hte DTA but its all good.

now i'm just waiting for hte cablecard tuner from ceton to come out.

Comment

Originally posted by toastygoodness
                    now i'm just waiting for hte cablecard tuner from ceton to come out.
                    Us too! Probably won't spring for the quad tuner though.. honestly there isn't that much TV that we watch for it to be worth it. Mainly kids programs (Nick Jr.) and maybe some of the encrypted food channels. The Ceton dual tuner will likely suffice for our needs, but we will have to wait for that one!

Comment

yeah quad tuner's wayyy overkill. dual's fine. just gonna get Tennis HD, Food HD, Nick HD, USA HD, and finally FX will work. it has a problem with the DTA so MCE freezes like crazy whenever i tune to it. it knocks out the whole tuner, i usually have to restart. :-(

in the end ijust avoid FX.... darn i wish comcast kept stuff on clearQAM. oh well.

Comment

I have a spare machine Im going to turn into a MPC. It has a P4 HT 3.2/2GB DDR2/250GB. Just has crappy onboard video right now though. Want to get a video card with native HDMI out and a good PCI-e HD tuner. Might get a bigger HD too. How much can I store on a 250?

My CableCo has ClearQAM, so thats nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Colt45ws
                          I have a spare machine Im going to turn into a MPC. It has a P4 HT 3.2/2GB DDR2/250GB. Just has crappy onboard video right now though. Want to get a video card with native HDMI out and a good PCI-e HD tuner. Might get a bigger HD too. How much can I store on a 250?

My CableCo has ClearQAM, so thats nice.
                          Lucky! We only get about 20-25 ClearQAM channels here with Brighthouse, and many of those are PBS. Newegg just had a special on a ATI 4550 that expired yesterday for $20 that was perfect for HTPCs (no fan/heatsink, native HDMI, low profile capable). Good to scan for deals now and then.

A 250GB wouldn't give you much recording space. IIRC, a 1 hour SD recording takes up around 2GB and 1 hour of HD recording takes up around 8GB using the compression built into Windows7. I use a neat (free) utility called MCEBuddy that automatically converts all of my WTV recordings into MP4 (H.264) during the night. That will help a lot with saving space, though you'll lose your closed captioning.

Comment

So, I should probably get a bigger HD then as well. Maybe a 640 or 750? Ill have to see what the price is when I get one.

Comment

Yeah a 250GB might be small for ClearQAM. I mean, it just depends on how much you want to keep.

Comment

Contrary to popular deliberate mis-information,,,,
                                You can use the same ole TV Antenna you always used.
                                The kind that goes back to the days of Black n White TV.

The frequencies are the same so the needed Antenna is the same.

The catch is HD is a weaker signal which you fix by:
                                - Being close to the transmitter (by luck). [Makes signal strength a non-issue.]
                                - Using more elements in the array. [Picks up more signal.]
                                - Using larger elements in the array. [Picks up more signal.]
                                - Using a standard TV Antenna amp. [Same Freqs as before HD so same amp needed as before HD.]

It doesn't turn into HD until AFTER the RF decoder.
                                At the RF stage it's the same ole shit it always was, just with a bit weaker signal.

I just moved [AGAIN!!!] last Feb and I ~was~ going to put up an outdoor antenna on the roof but I'm getting OTA HD just fine with an OLD set of Rabbit Ears [indoors] and an old 20dB Antenna Amp.
                                I got OTA HD just fine at the last house too with the same amp and a 30+ year old roof-top antenna that happened to be up there when I moved in.
                                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                -

Comment

That's decent, but I wonder how the Rage Theatre 650 compares to Phillips SAA713X tuners.
                                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Excuse the ignorant question, but I thought OTA reception was going away.
                                    I'm not up on the technology, but the endless screwing from DirectTV is making me consider alternatives...

Comment

The big networks -want- to push things that way but I don't see it actually happening. [At least in my lifetime.]
                                      If the big guys drop out of that market sector [and audience] then a butt-ton of small guys will move in and take advantage of the existing infrastructure.
                                      Lots of little guys have a way of 'merging' and getting bigger. [Competition.]
                                      The big guys know this and aren't much into sharing.

In a way:
                                      They want to push it that way - because they are greedy.
                                      But they are afraid to - because they are greedy.
                                      - Catch 22.
                                      Last edited by PCBONEZ; 04-03-2010, 03:18 PM.
                                      Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                      -

Comment

I use my houses original UHF/VHF antenna with my computers HD tuner (Hauppaage brand). For recording I use Beyond TV a PVR software that cost me around 100 bucks and I get stations without an amplifier. The thing has to have been up there since the 50s.

The only upgrades it's had is I hooked up a balun to it and changed out the twin lead for coax cable.

Had to use a chicken ladder to get up the 9/12 roof slope though . You have a flat roof that's no fun .

I'm lucky in the fact that I'm 8 miles away from NYC and the Empire State Building is the transmitter for many local OTA stations and from my roof I have a clear line of sight to it.
                                        Last edited by Krankshaft; 04-03-2010, 03:33 PM.
                                        Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Working...
                                        X