Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What version of Firefox is everyone running?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What version of Firefox is everyone running?

None. I don't like bloatware.

Comment

I have Firefox 8 but I don't know what the big deal is about because the layout on screen remains the same with each version.

Some time ago I made a backup of the profile before I reinstalled the operating system, started the new version of Firefox with ugly layout, closed it and I copied the backup over the profile generated by the new version.

When I restarted the new version, it just read the screen layout from the old profile and now I have everything showing as the old versions.
      The only thing I was missing was the status bar, and I installed Status-4-Evar or whatever it's called and it got fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by yyonline View Post
        You can make Firefox 8 look pretty much like 3.6 with less than 5 minutes of tweaking.

First, right click an empty spot on the tab bar, and check the option for Menu Bar, and uncheck the option for Tabs on Top. (Image 1)

Second, right click an empty spot on the tab bar again, and choose Customize this time. Drag the stop, reload, and home buttons from the right side of the toolbar to the appropriate locations. (Image 2)

Third, type about:config in the URL bar. Agree to the warning. Search for the preference browser.urlbar.trimURLs and change it to False.

Finally, download the extension Status-4-Evar from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...status-4-evar/. This adds the status bar back to Firefox.

Now Firefox 8 looks mostly like 3.6. The buttons are styled a bit differently, but all the functional bits are now in the familiar spots. (Image 3)

You can add a preference in about:config called extensions.checkCompatibility.8.0 and set it to False to enable the loading of extensions that aren't tested with Firefox 8. I have a few extensions I use regularly that haven't been updated in a long time. For the most part, they all work fine with the newer Firefox versions.
        Way ahead of you. I had the button layout almost identical to 3.6. The fubar'd status bar was the reason for the upgrade back to 3.6, just couldn't get used to their icky new one. Ridiculous you have to install add-on's to bring back something that should have never been removed.... I may try it again later on...
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Ah yes the bastardized menu bar. Why scatter the icons all across the screen? It was so much easier to find things in the old 3.6.? versions.

Still running 3.6.?? seems so Old School, that I decided to finally upgrade and see if I could make the REAL 8.0 release work for me. (no betas here)

Well, I opened up the "Customize" window and drug all the icons from the menu bar down into the window, then I took them one by one and did a drag n drop back up to the left side of the menu bar, so they are all there together. It makes grabbing an icon much easier when they are all in one place.

Other than that, all my PC's are running FF 8.0 very nicely. Any PC that can't run FF 8.0 has got to be a real dog! Eh? Maybe still running Win-98?

I see FF 9.0 is out, in Beta. But Beta versions are for evaluation purposes only and not for Prime Time use. So I won't even bother with them.
          It's bad enough that I'm running Windows 8 DP, on a test PC.
          Since I'm not expecting too much from it, I'm not P'd off when I try something and it crashes on me.

Experience is truly the best teacher.
          Backup! Backup! Backup! Ghost Rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by ThePCDoctor View Post
            Ah yes the bastardized menu bar. Why scatter the icons all across the screen? It was so much easier to find things in the old 3.6.? versions.

Still running 3.6.?? seems so Old School, that I decided to finally upgrade and see if I could make the REAL 8.0 release work for me. (no betas here)

Well, I opened up the "Customize" window and drug all the icons from the menu bar down into the window, then I took them one by one and did a drag n drop back up to the left side of the menu bar, so they are all there together. It makes grabbing an icon much easier when they are all in one place.

Other than that, all my PC's are running FF 8.0 very nicely. Any PC that can't run FF 8.0 has got to be a real dog! Eh? Maybe still running Win-98?

I see FF 9.0 is out, in Beta. But Beta versions are for evaluation purposes only and not for Prime Time use. So I won't even bother with them.
            It's bad enough that I'm running Windows 8 DP, on a test PC.
            Since I'm not expecting too much from it, I'm not P'd off when I try something and it crashes on me.

Ha I run Windows 8 Developer Preview too

Comment

Most are 3.6.x
              I think one is still 3.0.11.

I keep IE6 functional but it only gets used for problem web pages coded by IE happy coders.

I actually liked Opera back in the 90's but haven't used it since then.
              I tried one of the newer versions a while ago and it didn't do it for me.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Shovenose,

Are you running 8DP al' natural, or have you turned off the Metro UI?

As a tech, one of these days, some of my customers will start buying new PC's with Win-8 on them and asking "what the heck is this?" when they see the Metro UI.
                I'm already starting my own "Windows 8 Stuff" folder on my Utilities disk.
                The registry script to shut off the Metro UI was the first entry.
                There is also a batch file to do that, but it caused some problems with the classic desktop.
                I'm finding that all my tweaks for Win-7 also work for Win-8.
                Like, Disable UAC, Take Ownership, Disable Hibernate, Show Hidden Files, etc.

And even most of the performance tweaks I've been using since XP still work.
                Like, my Quick Shutdown shortcut, and the "Extended Disk Cleanup".

Upgrading from Win-7 to Win-8 won't be bad at all. Nothing like the upgrade from XP to Vista.

Happy Holidays Everyone!
                Last edited by ThePCDoctor; 11-26-2011, 11:29 AM.
                Experience is truly the best teacher.
                Backup! Backup! Backup! Ghost Rocks!

Comment

I am also running Firefox 3.6.24 on all my computers. It just works the best for me and I don't really want to upgrade it...

Comment

Originally posted by ThePCDoctor View Post
                    Shovenose,

Are you running 8DP al' natural, or have you turned off the Metro UI?

As a tech, one of these days, some of my customers will start buying new PC's with Win-8 on them and asking "what the heck is this?" when they see the Metro UI.
                    I'm already starting my own "Windows 8 Stuff" folder on my Utilities disk.
                    The registry script to shut off the Metro UI was the first entry.
                    There is also a batch file to do that, but it caused some problems with the classic desktop.
                    I'm finding that all my tweaks for Win-7 also work for Win-8.
                    Like, Disable UAC, Take Ownership, Disable Hibernate, Show Hidden Files, etc.

And even most of the performance tweaks I've been using since XP still work.
                    Like, my Quick Shutdown shortcut, and the "Extended Disk Cleanup".

Upgrading from Win-7 to Win-8 won't be bad at all. Nothing like the upgrade from XP to Vista.

Happy Holidays Everyone!
                    I have Metro enabled - since it's the most interesting reason to run Windows 8

Comment

Im running FF8... dont know why it got updated but I cant use the bork bork bork plugin anymore.

Couple FF with adblock plus plugin = browsing bliss! Hell it even allows you to skip advertising in streaming video!

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Lurker View Post
                        Im running FF8... dont know why it got updated but I cant use the bork bork bork plugin anymore.

Couple FF with adblock plus plugin = browsing bliss! Hell it even allows you to skip advertising in streaming video!
                        Whoa, how do you skip those?

Comment

Running 8. Nothing wrong with it IMO. The different interface that started in 4 took a little getting used to, but I moved a couple things around the toolbar and am happy now.

They changed the interface a bit from 1 > 2, and from 2 > 3, so changing again when going to 4 didn't surprise or bother me that much.

Oh, and adblock is amazing. I didn't even know that ads had started appearing in Youtube videos because apparently adblock stops them from showing. Sweet

I purposely don't block most of the ads on forums and such that I frequent a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                            Whoa, how do you skip those?
                            AdBlock Plus just prevents the ad server from being accessed. Some videos will not play if the ad server is down or being blocked and others will just skip the ad and start playing the video.

Comment

That's what I thought. But I occasionally (rarely) get a YouTube or Pandora ad. Maybe those use ad servers that hadn't been listed...

Comment

Firefox 8 here. I hate not having a menu bar in Chrome, and IE is too slow.
                                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I never upgraded my version even tho Mozilla occasionally threatens me about end-of-life and that I should upgrade. Frankly I'm happy with 3.6.24.

The fact they are on "9" with no improvements over the last version, that had no improvements over it's predecessor either, kind of points out that the original developing team is no more. I don't think Firefox can taunt that it's more secure then Internet Explorer if they are milling out a release every three months with bugs and possible vulnerabilities.

I had the pleasure to use ver. 4, 6, and 8 and I didn't like any of them, or how it looks.

3.6 is clean, fast and simple with no bullshit.

Comment

8 on all.
                                    "Its all about the boom....."

Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drinking.

"Fear accompanies the possibility of death.....calm shepherds its certainty"

Originally posted by Topcat
                                    AWD is just training wheels for RWD.

Comment

FF is changing major versions too often which breaks addons. I got FF 6.01 all fixed up and I erased both app.update.certs.*.commonName so it claims to be up to date and won't bug me about updates.
                                      sig files are for morons

Comment

All I did was install Add-on Compatibility Reporter when I was on Firefox 5. That way, addons are already enabled, despite the incompatible message on an addon being present.

Still using the old Screengrab addon!
                                        Recovering a BEFSR41 v1 and v2 router from solid red DIAG Light
                                        I have two v2s and one v1.

I am still looking at these boards nearly every day.

What I'm doing: Planning an upgrade of my mining setup from Block Erupters to Red Furys. Though, if the Block Erupters don't sell, I will keep using them for a while.

Comment

Actually, not all of my computers use 3.6.23.... my download computer has 3.0.19. I'm starting to like that version even better than 3.6. Right now, I have 25 tabs open (all of which are Badcaps.net threads) and my RAM usage is less than 280 MB - that's even more efficient than IE6 on my other computer! If I'm installing FF again on any of my computers, I think I'll stick to this version instead. The only problem it has is there is no new tab button, but that's okay.

Comment

Working...
                                          X