Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just accidentaly destroyed my Fortron Blue Storm II

Hello everyone!
    So I recently had problems with my Fortron Blue Storm II (JonnyGuru review: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...=Story&reid=84).

The problem was that when I would turn on my PC, my fans would start spinning and then stop after 1 second, PC wouldn't boot up at all. Classic PSU problem I thought, and went ahead to replace my Fortron with a PSU from my brothers PC and voila - my PC works!

So I went ahead and opened my Fortron to see if I can find out what's wrong with it. What I saw were multiple very dense clusters of dust on few capacitors and transistors. Components looked good, nothing seemed burned up. There was one capacitor that was a bit inflated and another one that seemed to release the chemical, but just a bit. I thought it's not such a big deal and went ahead and cleaned that dust clusters all up, plugged my PSU back and voila – it works!

Now this is the part where idiot me destroyed the PSU, thank God I didn't get electrocuted in the process:

PSU fan sounded weird (probably because the PSU was standing upside down and fan was facing down, not the position it was designed to stand in, but idiot me didn't realize it right away) so I went ahead and took the metal case cap of the PSU with the fan attached to it WHILE PSU WAS WORKING to do something with it. Thinking about it now, idk what would I do with a spinning fan, but yeah, idiot me went ahead and did it anyway.

While I was removing the metal case cap, I accidently touched PSU heatsink with one end of the metal case cap and the rest of the big metal case with the other part of the metal case cap.

When that happened, I saw and heard a spark, after that my PSU wasn't working anymore.
    Here is a picture to help you understand what happened.

So basically, I "repaired" the PSU by cleaning it from dust and then I destroyed it right away.

Here are the pictures of the capacitor that seemed a bit inflated and the one that seemed to release the chemical a bit. Important: my PSU was still working with these two in this condition before I destroyed the PSU.

More pictures of the PSU here.

Any ideas on what could have happened here and what needs replacing?

Thank you in advance!

p.s. I know, I am an idiot
    Last edited by isabis; 09-25-2015, 07:49 AM.

Re: I just accidentaly destroyed my Fortron Blue Storm II

Those caps are indeed bad. You probably killed whatever semiconductors are mounted on that heatsink that was shorted to gnd through the case cover, and possibly other components in that part of the circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
      Those caps are indeed bad. You probably killed whatever semiconductors are mounted on that heatsink that was shorted to gnd through the case cover, and possibly other components in that part of the circuit.
      You gave me some hope in repairing the PSU when you said that I probably killed the semiconductors and then you immediately crushed all the hope I had by saying "and possibly other components in that part of the circuit".

So, I should just buy a new one I guess.

With my limited knowledge, I would barely replace the semiconductors, but there is no way I could find and replace those other components that I probably destroyed.

Comment

dont panic, the heatsink is sometimes live - you will have blown a fuse and *maybe* damaged the main rectifier.
        nothing expensive or serious.

more importantly, about those caps.
        There was one capacitor that was a bit inflated and another one that seemed to release the chemical, but just a bit

there is no such thing as "just a bit", it's not like cutting yourself!
        both those caps are done - and could blow something.

Comment

I double up stj's comment above. It's a bummer, but fairly inexpensive and easily repairable.

Comment

ok, if it helps in any way, the fuse in my house burned when this happened as well, it was 500V 16A fuse, I had to replace it

Comment

well you need to check the fuse on the psu, and meter the pins on the rectifier to make sure it isnt shorted.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                dont panic, the heatsink is sometimes live - you will have blown a fuse and *maybe* damaged the main rectifier.
                nothing expensive or serious.
                +1

I have fixed this exact same problem for a classmate's PSU. In his case, he dropped the PSU without its top cover while it was connected to the wall. The metal case (which is grounded) touched the heatsink (which is live at -170V). Result: blown fuse. EASY FIX!

more importantly, about those caps.
                there is no such thing as "just a bit", it's not like cutting yourself!
                both those caps are done - and could blow something.
                +1 again.
                This is Why You NEVER Ignore Bad Capacitors!

Comment

Always replace bad caps and caps of the same brand and series ! Always Always Always if you want your device to work and be more reliable !
                  Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

you have 3 bad caps the other one is hidden under the output wires

Comment

well, inexperienced users shouldnt be doing reckless things like running a psu while it is opened up.

u could have ended up dead as a burnt smoking corpse from the short u caused. thank god for the earth wire. thats what saved u from being zapped.

as a former ambulance medic, i actually dont enjoy doing cpr and having to defibrillate people. (sorry u had to hear that from me)

i hope u have learnt your lesson and exercise better electrical safety in future!

Comment

@stj & momaka thank you for your help, but I really don't know where the fuse is, I decided I'll take the PSU to the repairshop and explain what happened to the repairmen
                        this repair, no matter how simple it may be, is too hard for me

@dragos2009 that is a nice find really! thank you, didn't even notice and you found it on the picture

@ChaosLegionnaire Lesson learned, I assure you. I'm never messing around with high voltage components anymore...
                        PSUs are always grounded like this to save idiots like me, right? If not, then fuck, I will get shivers every time I think about how close I was to being possibly dead that day.

Comment

the fuse is near where the power wires go on the board - show a foto

ok, the fuse is on the corner of the board in a black sleeve.
                          just desolder it and cut the black sleeve away to read the numbers on it.
                          Last edited by stj; 09-27-2015, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Start with checking the fuse and input rectifier, the heatsinks are grounded to rectified ground which may still be on different potential than the earth ground. Otherwise the silicon in FSP PSUs is for many years in fully insulated TO-220F packages so no other silicon should be affected.

The 100uF cap on the auxiliary rail from stand-by supply is gone too. If you want I have D8 caps just for these units as they are still quite common and known to go bad because of bad custom crapacitors so I can supply you.
                            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by isabis View Post
                              PSUs are always grounded like this to save idiots like me, right?
                              its for electrical safety in case sheet happens and the live wire somehow breaks loose and touches the metal casing. this will immediately cause a short to ground thru the earth wire blowing the fuse and cutting off the power thereby preventing anyone touching the metal casing from getting zapped.

Comment

Nowadays breaker rather than fuse, fuses are replaced by breakers here at for at least 50 years.
                                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by isabis View Post
                                  PSUs are always grounded like this to save idiots like me, right?
                                  Yes, they are... but the question is, does your house have proper grounding? Because if not, then the case can become live without tripping anything. Modern electric codes in most countries now require a safety ground on each outlet. However, there are still plenty of old houses in many parts of the world that don't have grounded outlets, including here in the US. As a matter of fact, I lived in one like that while in college. The thing is, I had hardwood floors everywhere and the house was sitting a few feet from the ground, so I could touch live wires all day and not get shocked . Just keep away from sinks, pipes, faucets, coaxial cables, and other (possibly) grounded objects.

Comment

lol - try that with 240v.
                                    you will be on your back, trust me - i know!

Comment

keke lying on your back with 240v...

electrotherapy massage anyone? full payment upfront for the massage. no refunds if it kills you!

Comment

lol - try that with 240v.
                                        you will be on your back, trust me - i know!
                                        You can try it even with a 1000 V. It won't hurt one bit if you are well-isolated from ground. On a dry hardwood floor in a wooden house, you just won't get shocked. Now don't try that on a concrete or ceramic tile floor! (or even brick, for that matter.) Also, wearing good (dry!) shoes helps too .

Comment

Working...
                                        X