e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

I went ahead and removed those drivers on the right side. An now the tv works perfect. Thank you I appreciate all of the hard work and research everyone has done on this thread. Also I know if it blows again it will most likely be the chip that is on the tcon board as Bud mentioned. Thanks a million again

Comment

So, I also have this Vizio that is doing the exact same thing and have read through this entire thread. Before I bought anything I just opened it up and tried to omh the transistor in question on the T-Con board and it did not responde as suggested on the meter. So, most likely it was already bad.

With nothing else to loose I disconnected the right side (viewing from front) drivers and didn't notice a change after powering it on. Then I re-connected the right side drivers and disconnected the left side (viewing from front). I didn't notice any change on the screen but immediately saw a wisp of smoke come from the transistor in question on the T-con board. I powered it off. Figuring at this point the transistor was definitely toast I powered it on again and it smoked again and I even saw the transistor burn on the top. After that it didn't smoke anymore :-)

So, figuring that since the right side drivers are the ones that made the transistor burn up completely I figured they are probably the bad ones and I disconnected those and re-connected the left side drivers and ordered a new T-con board.

I got my new T-con board put in and with the right side drivers still disconnected I at least got something on the screen. So, I guess at this point I should attempt to remove the right side drivers from the LCD panel like described and hope I get a clear picture?

Attached is a picture of what it looks like right now with a DVD playing and I can hear the sound.
      Attached Files

Comment

with your pretty "thorough" testing (burned up fet).... and now you got something and no burning fet.... I think you are on ther right track... or should I say "right side"... :-)

The reason that you are not getting much of a picture is that the tab drivers that are bad are causing issues with the drivers on the other side and they are not able to overcome the problem. Once the bad tabs are all removed from the bad side, it is very likely that you will have a good picture again... and most likely a smile on your face... :-)

Comment

I have just picked up a Vizio M701d-A3 from Craigslist that has a bad panel. A little investigation shows that the panels and Tcon boards in the E' series and M's series are basically the same. I don't know if Sharp/Vizio did anything to improve their quality control and catch these later panels with bad drivers before they shipped, but obviously they didn't get all of them since we have bad panels now. It looks like maybe Vizio put in some software to protect the Tcon/panel in the newer M series units because my tv goes into a panel shutdown mode and does not blow up the tcon board. I have troubleshot the problem with my TV to the lower right side driver tab board and am planning to remove the tabs from the glass on that side. Hopefully this brings it to life!

Comment

Removed the right drivers but chipped the glass, still no picture. After throwing and it still didn't want to be cut. Free tv to good home lol
            Attached Files

Comment

:-)))))

Comment

My M701d-A3 tv is back to working great after the surgery to remove the right side drivers from the LCD! I am amazed that this actually fixed the problem and didn't mess up the picture. Many thanks to this forum!!!
                Does anybody have any data on how long the TV's have lasted after this fix was made?

Comment

Just want to double check RTR020N05 is the upgraded MOSFET correct? Where were they purchased in Texas? Also is there anyone that can install these reasonably? I'm not very good at soldering things this small.

Comment

Hi all!
                    New guy here, my E701i-A3 died this morning. Read ALL this and went..what the heck!!!!
                    Went to Walmart, got my receipt and then called Vizio.
                    Well, my TV was almost 3 weeks out of the extended warranty, but after I asked to speak with a supervisor (nicely as they were very nice to me) Vizio is sending me a new 70 in. It should arrive in 7-10 days.
                    It did help that I told her I read all over the net and a specific forum about the known issues with this model TV. After that she said "yup and I will be sending you a newer model with better contract and refresh rates to boot"
                    Thank you everyone for arming me with exactly what I needed to get Vizio to help me!!

Comment

You are lucky to get to the right person to help you at VIZIO.
                      Never stop learning
                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Does anybody have any data on how long these TV's have lasted after doing this repair modification?

Comment

I hope you aren't looking for some "manufacturer's specification" for this... :-)
                          Its pretty simple. This thread was started in september. There are NO posts in it with "secondary failures". There you have it... :-)

Comment

Huskerbob by chance do you know who you talked to at Vizio? I have an open file which hasn't been going anywhere a name may help me resolve.

Comment

Originally posted by rednutz View Post
                              Huskerbob by chance do you know who you talked to at Vizio? I have an open file which hasn't been going anywhere a name may help me resolve.
                              No I don't. It was an "Executive Resolution agent" in the South Dakota contact center

Comment

Well I may have some bad news. Remember awhile back in this post that talked about the Sony 70 inch i repaired with this hack? Well I'm going to check it out tomorrow. I gave it to a relative that didn't have a TV. She told me that she heard some noise and now the screen is full of color bars and vertical lines just like robfromNWFL. As a matter fact picture I saw in his picture look identical. I have a feeling it is a transistor burn on the t-con board due to the premature failure of the opposite side ribbon cables going bad. I don't know for sure but I'm going to know more in the next few days. If it's true this is the first case of the opposite side burning out.

The symptoms were and I quote as she was watching it, the picture froze up and then faded out to these color bars. I'm pretty sure this is indicative of panel failure
                                Last edited by freakaftr8; 05-16-2016, 09:34 PM.
                                Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Uh oh. Keep us posted.

I wonder if some active cooling is in order...

Comment

:-(

Guess I jinxed the system with the comment that no one had reported a "failed saved" set. My friend's sharp is still going strong. I guess maybe "saved" is only for "sinners".... :-)

Comment

have the same prob as the tv talked about in here , but i tryed everything u guys said and i get nuthing but a black screen , then it dims (black), if i touch say the vol ^ or down it will brighten back up , maybe its the t conn ? i checked all the ribbions and baords no dark spots or any signs of over heating , when i plug my tv in it will make a hissing noise from a transformer , but still will power on , when on i can here th speakers hissing too ,,, plz help

Comment

Thanks Huskerbob for the response. I have given up on Visio. Nice customer service! I am eager to find someone in the Windsor ON area that can repair as I don't have the ability to repair the Tcon board and don't want to fry a couple trying to identify which side of the display is bad.

Comment

Hey freak any chance I can get you to soder one of those chips onto a tcon board? I'll pay for your services. Although my tv is good for now because you guys are so helpful I just want a back up "just incase"

Comment

Working...
                                          X