e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Now we are getting out side my "limited experience"... as the set I had definitely had a bad driver. Yours appears to be OK. In terms of manual, this site has references to where you can find some BUT don't expect to find much on the power supply as most manuals don't present any info on it... hence the guidance about measuring to what is labeled on the board.

From my reads on the forum, those readings look OK. I guess the question is can you see any picture using the "flash light" technique. My guess is that perhaps it is there but you have no backlight.

Comment

The LED backlight is definitely on.

I'm thinking maybe I just tested the T CON board wrong. My hands shake really bad and I was having difficulty withe the really small pins on the transistor. I'm still waiting on UPS for the replacement so I guess we'll see what happens when that shows up.

Comment

OK... no problem... BUT with the tcon board, you only need to test it with power off / unplugged so there is little to worry about.

Comment

Received the replacement board. It tested similarly to the old one with the multimeter. Got the same exact results... no picture at all with left or right side unplugged, LED backlight works. I didn't test for audio (it worked before) because I was trying to unplug quickly when the Vizio V didn't appear.

Not sure where to go from here and I'm not sure I want to sink any money throwing parts at it.

Comment

I agree with no spending any more money on it at this time... but spending more time testing.

Further, I would stick to your old card for the time being (potentially you may be able to return the other card depending on where it came from).

Back to your original description, I think you indicated that the set "slowly" went black.... what does that mean? picture was there but brightness slowly decreased?

Have you tracked down any service manual for the set?

Have you tried any of the "reset procedures"?

Hopefully someone with more in depth trouble shooting experience will pick up.

Comment

The screen frame froze, got really dark and reddish, and then slowly faded out starting around the outsides and moved in to the center until the picture was completely gone. Screen still had a faint glow from the backlight and I could see from the back that the LED was on and I also still hear audio perfectly. I could change channels/volume from the set buttons as well as the remote, I could change inputs, etc.

The only reset procedure I've found came from Vizio tech support. They had me unplug the set and then hold the power button for 60 seconds to drain any residual energy.

I put the original board back in and reassembled the TV for now. I'm going to contact Amazon about returning the replacement.

I have family coming to visit for the weekend but after they've left I may start my own post here to see if anyone has any ideas, unless someone chimes in before then.

Thanks again for all your help!

Comment

Hey all. for those that are looking for the video here it is.
                The wife and I've been on vacation for the last month.

https://youtu.be/A9UaWnsF2Mg
                Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Hi Gang, my eyes are watering from reading all the posts on this problem child. I recieved my Chinese version of a replacement board, disconnected the R side ribbon, and guess what? absolutly the same as with the original T-con. My vision wont allow me to repair these anymore. I have requested a replacement from the vendor, but from what you have said here It seems like i'm spinning the wheels...any help would be much appreciated...
                  Thank You

Comment

Recieved a "replacement" board from Encompass today, unplugged the R ribbon and nothing!!! Blue backlit screen only, anyone up to replacing the cpoa transistor on the original board for an old Southern Bell guy??
                    Thanx again Bob

Comment

I'm in the same boat....anyone want to do another COXA replacement ? Paid parts and labor, of course......My eyes and hands just can't do this small stuff anymore......really want this 70 back on the wall.....Thanx in advance !

Comment

Hello this is my first time posting. I read the forum on this topic. I'm not sure it'll let me post pictures since I am new on here. I went ahead and removed the plastic bezel from the tv and removed both aluminum covers that cover the side drivers. If you're looking at the tv I disconnected the bottom cable of the right side. Powered it up and had a dvd playing it now works but I have my right side dark and my left side looks clear. Does this mean that I have to pull the drivers on the right side? I just want to make sure because I know you guys mentioned that it's irreversible. Also quick note before I did this my back light would come on I just had no picture. Let me know. An kudos on this thread 😎👍💪

Comment

Any ideas???? Let me know thanks

Comment

post a picture that will help (read up on "attachments"). Since your tcon doesn't appear to be "gone" (usual problem with the fail), odds are high that you have guessed right. Depending on your skill and luck, you could try do the "reverse" with the other side.... but NOTE, during this "test", it is possible that because now you would be running with only the "potentially bad" side connected, it could take out your tcon which then you would have to fix as outlined in this thread by others. Not a real problem as others have readily repaired their tcon and moved forward again.

Comment

Ok this is what I got. Btw thanks for getting back to me I appreciate it. Also a side note I do have sound.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I'm not sure how to post multiple pics I'm sorry
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Lynk783; 04-12-2016, 05:58 PM.

Comment

This is the last pic I took
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Should I plug the right side back and unplug the left now to see what result I get? Or should I just go ahead and remove the right side drivers all together?

Comment

hmmm.... not sure. The second picture is confusing and the third appears to have some horizontal lines which I would have expected to come from the "bad side".

Can you find a "known color bar" source (ie. dvd test pattern or equivalent).... that way, you will posting something that is a known pattern that will provide a better view of any "details" of the failure.

Comment

What do you mean by known color bar source or a test pattern? Do you mean like a different dvd?

Comment

Any idea bud?

Comment

Working...
                                          X