Philips 32PF5521D/10 Stuck in Standby Sortof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philips 32PF5521D/10 Stuck in Standby Sortof

I've just saved this TV from a journey to a skip (or possibly just delayed it a bit?) .
    The fault in simple terms is - no picture, no sound except slight audible whistle from a switcher somewhere and the status led goes between Red (standby) and off - should be green for on i believe.

So far I've checked all the caps (except for some real tiny ones), all the diodes and all the transisters on the psu board - which is a PLCD 190 C1 type.
    I have the service manual for it (LC4.31E AB) though it's a bit lacking in info for the 32" version and some bit are innacurate like the block diagram - it's close but no cigar.

the outputs of the psu board seem OK. and 'some' of the other supplies generated on the SSB & IBO Zapper board again seem OK. ]#

Short of measuring everything i'm a bit stuck.
    Anyone had any dealings with this set?
    Last edited by QuantumCheese; 03-17-2012, 01:33 PM. Reason: got the service manual number wrong!

Re: Philips 32PF5521D/10 Stuck in Standby Sortof

I've dealt with a broken screen 32PF5522, and I have a spare PSU and main board. Do you have a picture of your PSU / main board?
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hi again Tom66
      Attached a couple of pics of the set.

I think i'll investigate the inverter board today. i had been hoping it wasn't them as as you will know their behind the metal chassis the rest of the boards are attached to.

"a broken screen"? i had noticed a lot of comments about sound but no picture relating to this set. i believe that was the reported fault. now it seems to do nothing at all though and suspiciously no visible signs of backlight
      Attached Files

Comment

Hey QuantumCheese
        sorry for the dumb question, what is the monster cable going into the inputs, never seen one like that

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumCheese View Post
          the outputs of the psu board seem OK.
          Is 5V standby steady and present on the power board and the other boards?

PS. Nice multimeter, I'm jealous.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by uberplasma View Post
            Hey QuantumCheese
            sorry for the dumb question, what is the monster cable going into the inputs, never seen one like that
            Do you mean the SCART cable?
            I know it's a bit old-skool but i was hoping it would auto switch from tv to that i/p and i could see if anything was working. as it is, the tv channels in my region are now all digital (no analogue) and it needs re-tuning......tricky thing to do without a picture

Comment

Originally posted by uberplasma View Post
              Hey QuantumCheese
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART

VERY common here. And usually supports device activity switching. i.e. if a device like a VCR connected to a TV via SCART starts playing, the TV automatically switches to that input. Pin 8 is responsible for that IIRC
              In theory a great design, but the flimsy connector is a big letdown (there's no way to lock it in place) and there aren't enough pins to use for HD content without loosing compatibility with older devices.
              The connector itself has been around since the early 80s and is pretty much standard stuff over here on almost any AV device. Slowly dying out nowadays though.. (HDMI etc.)
              Last edited by Scenic; 03-18-2012, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                Is 5V standby steady and present on the power board and the other boards?

PS. Nice multimeter, I'm jealous.
                Sort of.... According to the manual i have Vstby = 3.3?

anyway, i looked at with a scope, the following and they are all 'clean' and measured as follows-

Vp = 24V, Vstby = 3.3, 12V = 12V.
                I think 5v is generated on the SSB board (green one bottom middle in picture) and when the set is'on' it measures at 5V and looks clean.

And thanks, I couldn't resist a nice Fluke having been stuck with Maplin-esk rubbish for so long!

Comment

Darn, my PSU and main board are different. I wish I could help.
                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Update
                    I've prodded my way round the "IBO Zapper" board (to the right of picture) and all of the supplies generated on that board measure OK
                    I think i've found all the supplies generated on the "SSB" board and they look fine & dandy too.

Hmmmmm.
                    Last edited by QuantumCheese; 03-18-2012, 09:13 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                      Darn, my PSU and main board are different. I wish I could help.
                      hay ho, what was wrong with your set in the end?
                      Last edited by QuantumCheese; 03-18-2012, 09:17 AM.

Comment

status led goes between Red (standby) and off - should be green for on i believe.
                        Is there a "blink" code or time that it goes from red to off? For example, does the red led come on for 20 seconds and then go off? Or does it blink 8 times and then go off?
                        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

hay ho, what was wrong with your set in the end?
                          Screen was cracked. It got stripped for parts and scrapped.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                            Is there a "blink" code or time that it goes from red to off? For example, does the red led come on for 20 seconds and then go off? Or does it blink 8 times and then go off?
                            I don't think so, it's not a pattern that repeats.
                            1 blink would equate to "Mis-match of TV (Hercules) SW and Scaler SW", however that should also be available via the on-screen error readout so the screen not working would indicate otherwise?

Comment

update -

I think realistically i only delayed it's journey to the skip, I just can't find anything wrong! it think it must be a logic issue. apart from an a to d chip getting a little warm in one corner i'm completely out of ideas (and i can't find a source for the chip even if i was fancying replacing a really tight pitch 80 pin job)
                              before i skip it does anyone want to baggsy any bits?

Comment

If I were you, I'd keep the LCD panel.
                                Getting 32" LCDs with cracked screens is easy (and cheap)

edit: to see if it's cracked or not.. it shouldn't be too hard to hotwire the PS-ON line without the mainboard connected so the PSU/backlight turns on

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                                  If I were you, I'd keep the LCD panel.
                                  Getting 32" LCDs with cracked screens is easy (and cheap)

edit: to see if it's cracked or not.. it shouldn't be too hard to hotwire the PS-ON line without the mainboard connected so the PSU/backlight turns on
                                  After a fair bit of fuming, i can confirm the backlight works(some good news then).
                                  I tried to 'prod' it into service mode by shorting two jumpers on the main board. absolutely no effect. not even the led flash codes.

I've found someone selling the main (video driving) board for about 35quid, what do your think.....worth a punt?

Comment

Well now i'm annoyed!

I bought a replacement SSB. fitted it and the set sprang to life. Great.
                                    For various complex reasons i didn't have the correct remote, so bought a universal one.

Two days later, the set has been lying on it's back, un plugged, awaiting a remote.
                                    I stand it up, plug it in and what do you think happens?

The same damn fault as before. GRRRR.

I'm thinking i didn't need the SSB after all, and i still have a dry joint/flaky component somewhere but i'm tearing my hair out now trying to find it!

Any comments gratefully received, no matter how dumb you think they may sound - I'm Desperate now!

Comment

Have you tried the heating various parts of the boards with hairdryer trick.

Or gently prodding in different places with a wood or plastic probe.

Both designed to show up cold joints.

Locate and measure voltage on startup cap

Well you said you were desperate!
                                      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                                        Have you tried the heating various parts of the boards with hairdryer trick.

Or gently prodding in different places with a wood or plastic probe.

Both designed to show up cold joints.

Locate and measure voltage on startup cap

Well you said you were desperate!
                                        I Am!
                                        I haven't tried the tapping with a tooth brush technique yet but at this rate it's on the cards.
                                        I've never used a hairdryer But i have cooked a pcb in the oven (domestic) to resurrect it once, i guess that's just as desperate!

presumably in "startup cap" you are talking about the primary reservoir cap on the hot-side of the supply? I've had that out & measured it along with most of the secondary caps too. they all measure good annoyingly!

Cheers! Keep 'em coming - someone out there's going to suggest something I haven't thought of, that's what the interwebs for

Comment

Working...
                                        X