Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Subject: 2 Dead Antec PSU's, worth fixing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subject: 2 Dead Antec PSU's, worth fixing?

I've read thru most of the Antec PSU related postings, and seek help. First off, I'm a former Electronic Repair Tech, but that was in the late 70's-mid 80's. I'm pretty rusty these days, but I can do basic troubleshooting. All I have for measurement gear is a basic Fluke LCD multimeter but w/ capacitance measurement. And a Coolmax PS-224 LCD Power Supply Tester

-PSU#1
    I've got an Antec Cube Case based PC I built back in 2005. It died after being in good service for 4+ years. I swapped out major components, and verified both the MB and PSU are dead. The Antec Aria Cube case uses a proprietary sized AR-300 PSU (L shaped from the side)

It has the following bulging caps, and all show leakage on top:
    (1) Fuhjyyu 4700uF 6.3V
    (2) Fuhjyyu 2200uF 10V

When measured w/ the coolmax, the LCD is blank, and the PSU squeals. The PSU fan does not turn.

-PSU #2
    Antec SP-500 Not-so-Smartpower 500 PSU. I purchased it new 3 years ago, used in a home data server running 24/7. Started failing 4 months later. Got RMA, but flaked and didn't send it in. Tried to get another RMA recently, but told out of warranty.

It has the following bulging caps, but no visable leakage:
    (2) Fuhjyyu 1000uF 10V

When measured w/ the coolmax, the LCD shows normal voltages, and the PSU squeals. One of the 2 PSU fans turns. This is when the 24pin PSU plug is connected, and 4 pin flat connector is wired. When I connect the 4pin CPU connector, the Coolmax shows 4.7-5.1V varying on “5VSB”

I don’t have schematics on either PSU, and wondering what the chances of fixing it by just replacing the visibly disfigured caps. I kinda wish there was an “Antec Cap Fix Kit” that would have enough replacement caps to cover virtually any Antec PSU, but I guess I’m dreaming.

What are your thoughts? I hate to toss them if it’s just a few caps gone bad. However, it would be a real PITA if I had to pull every cap just to test.

PS I can post some pix if that would help.

Re: Subject: 2 Dead Antec PSU's, worth fixing?

I say if you can afford to invest on some replacement low esr caps and also some of your free time, why not? By seeking out information on the possibility of fixing them, you have already taken the 1st step towards something very gratifying when you fixed them!

Oh, I fixed one Antec last year by only replacing one bulging cap. I draw the line at about spending 20% or so on the value of the capacitors versus a new P/S.
    Last edited by lucky13; 05-28-2009, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Welcome dno.

Antec psus built until 2005 employ Fuhjyyu caps which, as you noticed, are prone to bulge and leak electrolyte: they're worse than other bad caps whose brand were involved in the flawed electrolyte formula's affair because they always bulge, even when stored on the shelves .

If the psus can still turn on, you can restoring it by cleaning leaks on pcb with isopropyl alcohol and replacing all Fuhjyyu caps, even the apparently healty ones because they'll bulge or leak anyway, it's just matter of time. Replacements may be hard to find because most caps' diameter is 10 mm instead of the more available 12.5 mm: badcaps' member BigPope can supply Samxon caps in 10 mm variant at request or you can look for same sized Panasonic FC.
      If the psu can't turn on, maybe bad caps damaged some components: a shorted transformer, a burnt mosfet, a coil. Open the psu, look for burnt components and post a few photos of the pcb: experienced members such as PCBONEZ, KC8, Wizard and Toast can help with your diagnosis.

Zandrax
      Have an happy life.

Comment

I save used/known working capacitors (I have some teapos and micons) to initially and cheaply test whether a recap would fix a problematic psu. I do this before wasting good caps thus money on psus that arent worth fixing beyond problematic capacitors.

Comment

Hi Dno

I had one of those Antec Aria systems once.... That special PSU is the only one that will fit at all well. Repairing it is your only reasonable option to continue using the ARIA box. A recap may or may not bring it back to life. Look for burned stuff first.

An Antec recap means replacing all of those Fuhiyyu caps with something better. This presents a problem, as Fuhjyyu caps are often in non-standard sizes (usually can diameter is too small) and over-rated. For example, a member here has checked one of those 4700uf Fuhjyyu caps in an unused Antec PSU and it measured out at about 3100uf I believe.

So far as which caps to replace, all of the over-rated and undersized secondary caps should be replaced along with those two 1000uf/10v.
          It's usually OK to go a bit down in capacitance in order to get a suitable can size but never voltage except maybe on the 3.3v circuit. You also might be able to squeeze a 12.5mm cap in one or two locations.

Nichicon PW series low-ESR caps are well suited for use in a PSU. The Samxon low-ESR caps available at BadCaps will also work. On the 3.3v circuit (orange wires) it's fine to use 6.3v caps if 10v ones are there. On the 5v circuit (red wires) 10v caps are usually used, though some will say 6.3v can be used safely as well (I don't). On the 12v (yellow wires) 16v caps must be used. There will be one odd 16v cap with the + lead soldered to ground, it's not backwards, it's for the seldom used -12v circuit and is probably OK to leave if unbulged.

Once recapped, Antec PSUs usually work out very well. The basic design is OK, just a case of poor caps combined with poor cooling (due to that nice quiet and really slow fan). Replacing the fan with a higher-speed one may be smart. If I recall correctly a lot of dual fan SmartPower PSUs run on one fan until a certain temperature is reached and then the 2nd fan comes on. You might want to cause both fans to run continously.

By the way, the new Antecs are built by different vendors with far better caps than the old ones. The Earthwatts seem pretty durable nowdays but none will fit that ARIA case.

Have Fun!
          Good Luck with that ARIA,
          Keri
          Last edited by KeriJane; 05-29-2009, 09:40 PM.
          The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

Thanks for everyone for the great suggestions! I really appreciate it.

The one PSU I'm most interesting in fixing is the Aria PSU; it's proprietary and hard to find. And even if I found a replacement, it might have the same crappy Caps in it anyways.

I counted ~14 caps in that PSU, and only one I can positively ID as non-Fuhjyyu; It's a large 400V TEAPO cap.

I also noticed an area of the PCB where it might have overheated; it's right under a Diode next to 2 small caps; one cap is 100uF/50V and the other is 1/2 the diameter, quite small. Both of these are next to a smaller Transformer and 4 pin IC (a regulator?).

Is there anyone willing to attempt a re-cap with quality caps in trade for another PSU? As in my original post, I have a dead Antec SP-500 as well; that looks far easier to fix, as it outputs all voltages still. That one has only 2 bulgy caps, no leakage and PCB with no burn. And it's modular, and I have full set of pluggable cables. let me know if interested.

Update: I just found a replacement for $55, the AR350

Would it be safe to assume The AR350 doesn't use crappy Fuhjyyu caps? I think it's the newer design having 350W. Or given all the info, is my money better spent trying to fix the dead one? And what would it ~cost to buy 13 new caps?

I'm suspecting a DIY re-cap of 13 caps will cost nearly the same as a new one, with at best a 50-50 chance of something else wrong.

Ugh, I hate it when there's no clear answer. Murphy's law says if I buy the AR350, it'll have the same crappy caps and will fail within a year.

What would Jesus do?

Comment

i just did 3 of these today.
              all 3 were fine after recap and solder joints.
              i would just recap the one you have.
              if it is too far gone get the new one,inspect for fuhkyyu caps and recap if they are found.
              i would have posted pics but this was an "oh shit!" job where this company had a power failure and none of these came back on.they are dvr boxes for a security system and never turned off.power off,crapcaps cool off,esr rises and no go.

Comment

$15 less: http://www.ebunlimited.com/servlet/t...-PS-FOR/Detail

Replace it. You'll get a warranty of 2-3 years from Antec.

>>And what would it ~cost to buy 13 new caps?<<
                ~$20

>>Would it be safe to assume The AR350 doesn't use crappy Fuhjyyu caps?<<
                Yes

Good Luck!
                Toast
                veritas odium parit

Comment

Yes and historically Antec honors their warranty OH so WELL.
                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

Do I detect as note of sarcasm there???

I've RMA'd 3 over the past 2 years with not so much as a hiccup... One I had opened to see what was wrong (broke their seal) and they never mentioned it.

I think they're fully aware of the problem(s) from the crap caps. I don't know why others have problems getting things RMA'd...

Toast
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

I've also got a dead AR300 here - fairly constant squeal on power up, gives the fan a little kick, and repeats every few seconds.

There don't appear to be burned out components, so I'm going to attempt a recap (I've done a dozen LCD monitors or so).

Thanks for the good advice in the thread. My only question is - Do I need to replace ALL ~14 capacitors? Some are quite small, I'm not accustomed to replacing the smaller ones - just the midsize and large (of which there are about 7, one having visible leakage).

Update - as others report, the board around ZD4 is a little discoloured, as if that diode got mighty hot, but doesn't appear destroyed. I suppose replacing ZD4 is on the cards as well.
                      Last edited by qu1j0t3; 04-01-2017, 03:08 PM.

Comment

At least some of the small caps are important (feedback, caps filtering drivers inpiut etc.), other not so much (cap for fan).

You need some of the high-capacity D10 caps, especially for 16 V? There is not really many sources beside me
                        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Here's the cap inventory in the DC section. Total 16.

Those marked with letters, I obviously can't read the silk screening for (A-I).

Comment

The bigger output ones will be 6.3V for +3.3, +5 and +5 V SB, 16V for +12 V/-12 V. I'd use my KZN 1500/6.3, KZH/KZM 1000/16, KYB 3300/6.3 and Samxons RS 3300/16.
                            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

I was able to get all needed caps from Digikey, both 10mm & 8mm Ø. Mostly Panasonic FR series. (Plus I had a couple of 470uF's in stock already.)

I've attached the part numbers I used—I only replaced 10.

A paperclip test with no load shows steady fan and good voltages. There is a distinct whine. However, under load, it does what it did before recapping—cycles on and off, about every 3 seconds.

Last edited by qu1j0t3; 04-29-2017, 06:33 PM.

Comment

That really sounds like one of the MOSFET's are triggering the crowbar circuit.
                                Never seen the circuit rset while still plugged in, however.
                                Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Turns out it was my own foolishness. I'd neglected to connect the ATX 12V line to the motherboard. PSU runs fine, albeit with a noticeable whine both in full power and sleep modes.

Comment

At least now you have a recapped PSU, can't hurt
                                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

My feelings exactly, Per!

And one of the caps had already leaked, so it definitely needed doing.

However, the whine is too much for my wife (whines in sleep and turned on; any time AC is connected, so that's a big clue, I guess?), so I may have to use the new AR350 I bought as a backup plan.

Any hints on the whine would be welcome :-)
                                      Last edited by qu1j0t3; 05-14-2017, 07:36 AM.

Comment

It could be the primary side capacitors failing.
                                        Or it could simply be a coil that is vibrating: hot glue solves that...

This might be well worth a read first:
                                        http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...pair,4258.html
                                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Working...
                                        X