500 watt cutie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

500 watt cutie

Here is a 500 watt cutie. It arrived with stuck fan, output capacitor on all three rails were bulging, one of the diodes on the 5 volt output rectifier was shorted, and the FET linear regulator on the 3.3 volt rail was shorted. I replaced the S20C40 output rectifier in the 5 volt rail with a S20C45 from my junk box. I figured that an extra 5 volts wouldn't hurt. I replaced the CEP3120 FET in the 3.3 volt rail with a CEP603 from my junk box. It was only 5 amps less than the original, but probably wouldn't hurt. The output rectifers on the 12 volt rail are two single diodes soldered to a small frame. They measured OK. I had a fan of the exact same brand in my junk box, so replaced the fan rather than repairing the old one. This 500 watt cutie uses a pair of 13007 transistors for the switching circuit. Input main capacitors are RICON 330 uF/200 volts. The Y caps are ceramic capacitors, a money saving Chinese innovation. Diodes used for the input bridge rectifier are 1N4004. There is no line filter, just jumpers where the line filter transformer should go. I replaced the bulging RICON capacitors in the output circuits with capacitors of equal voltage rating and equal capacitance from parts in my junk box. The output circuits do not have pi filters, just a single capacitor.

This 500 watt cutie is now working. Just need to find a mother board that needs 500 watts so I can test the power supply under load!
    Attached Files
    Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Re: 500 watt cutie

Haha wow 200w maybe lol good job at fixing it though
    Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Everell, are you going through bin's or something?

those half assed things with a partial fan-frame & very thin cases are usually just thrown in a skip as soon as they are removed from the case they often come free with!!

Comment

Wow... I wouldn't trust that POS for 150W, nevermind 500!

Comment

errr why would u be calling this psu a cutie? it aint exactly a chick! even if it was, her body is cheap, her clothes (labels) are cheap, her insides and her head are all empty and her fans? well... she has none to speak of. i'd put a paper bag over her head anyday...

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
            errr why would u be calling this psu a cutie? it aint exactly a chick! even if it was, her body is cheap, her clothes (labels) are cheap, her insides and her head are all empty and her fans? well... she has none to speak of. i'd put a paper bag over her head anyday...
            Im pissing my self over that haha
            Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Originally posted by everell View Post
              This 500 watt cutie is now working. Just need to find a mother board that needs 500 watts so I can test the power supply under load!
              Please do, I'll bring the popcorn

Legendary man!
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                Please do, I'll bring the popcorn
                Unpopped kernels would be fine, there will be a heat source to pop them at the event.

Comment

^ Sounds about right. The original fan was stuck......really stuck bad. I replaced it with one that looked brand new, same brand label. There is no fan controller, the fan is wired directly to 12 volts. When I turn it on, sounds like a thrashing machine. So I don't think the fan will last long. Then the popcorn starts popping!
                  Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

great for practice work but the end result isnt worth the energy the soldering iron consumed.

Comment

+1

Here, it's easy to find psus for free that are much better than this and definitely worth repair / recapping.

Comment

The day has arrived.......this was intended to be an April Fool's Day joke. For those that "might" be wondering, this is an Okia 500ATX. Hopefully nobody seriously thinks I will be attaching this power supply to a real computer!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by everell View Post
                          The day has arrived.......this was intended to be an April Fool's Day joke.
                          Dang. You got us good with that one!

Made my day with this.

Originally posted by everell
                          The original fan was stuck......really stuck bad. I replaced it with one that looked brand new, same brand label.
                          Not going to fix the old one? I thought you revived everything broken . I guess I beat you on the epic fan revival. I had a stuck Mitachi Spacefan that was so stuck, that I actually needed to hammer out the shaft away from the sleeve bearing. Shaft broke from the fan blade assembly in the process, but I glued it back together after getting the shaft out and cleaning the bearing. Fan works now, though it is slightly off balance and a bit noisy.

But other than that fan, my other (previously stuck) fans work flawlessly after I rebuilt them.
                          Last edited by momaka; 04-04-2016, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                            RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                            Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                            - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                            - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                            - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                            - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Looks like they keep increasing the rating on these without actually doing anything to the actual components inside. I opened one of these up several years ago (identical inside) that claimed to be a "420W" (couldn't handle 150W for more than a few minutes in reality).
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=411

Comment

^----

40A on +5???

There's nothing that'll handle 40A in that thing, unless it's on fire.
                                Gotta give em a little credit- the +5VSB transistor is on the heatsink.

[song]
                                "Oh Deer, what can the matter be?"
                                [/song]

Last edited by kaboom; 05-01-2016, 09:15 PM.
                                "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                                Originally posted by shango066
                                All style and no substance.
                                Originally posted by smashstuff30
                                guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                                guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Working...
                                X