Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba Satellite - Locks up when plugged in

I also solder and desolder the tantalum caps forgeting to remove the power adaptor..now the charging indicator wont light up even if the power adaptor is inserted.i also made damage on the positive terminal in the pcb.do you have schematic so i could check the voltages in the motherboard..I dont know where to check...

Comment

It should still power up/charge etc if it's in the same place as the Tokin on the Satellites. I made a complete mess of my first attempt and managed to make shorts across on both sides, and it still powered up (but obviously no POST)

So the damage must be elsewhere.
      Dell E7450 | i5-5300U | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Comment

the laptop is still powering up.when i press the power button.the power led and sleep led light up and sometime the wifi led light up..the lcd backlight also light up..but no image or even text in the lcd.only black screen with backlight light up..the nvidia graphic chip get a little warm, maybe it is working..but the cpu remains cold..what can i do to fix it?please help me.

Comment

the tokin chip is located at the back of the cpu

i want to know sir..what is best..high ESR or low ESR.. I have noticed that before i remove the nec tokin Cap.I place a unknown value capacitor on the edge of the tokin chip..which is low ESR..I confirmed it using multi tester. can you teach me sir where i should test/or put my voltmeter probe to check for vcore voltage..i only know basic electronics
          Last edited by wise_mykl98; 06-23-2013, 08:01 AM. Reason: add more details

Comment

Originally posted by spleenharvester View Post
            It should still power up/charge etc if it's in the same place as the Tokin on the Satellites. I made a complete mess of my first attempt and managed to make shorts across on both sides, and it still powered up (but obviously no POST)

So the damage must be elsewhere.

how did you fixed your laptop sir?

I think that is the problem i am facing now.it powers up but no display

Comment

That sounds exactly like what mine did with the CPU removed. You need caps ideally of ESR <10mOhms (0.01ohm), of same or greater voltage and similar capacitance.

Get a multimeter and check for a short between both sides of the caps. Have you got a picture of it at all? I'll get one up later to show you where to test for shorts etc.

Mine did the same and it was just a poor soldering job on the tantalums.

Cheers

Comment

Also, anyone know why the caps have to be 2.5v and not 2v when there only seems to be 1.2v across them?..

Comment

2v caps will work as well.
                  Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                  A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                    2v caps will work as well.
                    Oh damn I wish I knew that earlier lol. I have tons of those low ESR 2v caps from scrapped AMD boards!

Comment

Thanks all people i have soldered my Toshiba A200 with right caps,
                      two 470uF. I have ordered them from in.rsdelivers.com [India].
                      737-2832
                      Just using a small knife i removed top layers of TEC TOKIN 0E907 without using anything else. I can't remove last layer as it was soldered to the PCB , and i put SMD 470uF caps on the conductive layer using 40 W solder iron.
                      Any more Q can contact on tapasxplore@gmail.com . Will be pleased to Help you.

View my attached file.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I think i stuffed mine. I installed 4 360 caps across the stripe but i used regular cylindrical caps instead on a whim (already replaced with a cheap A105) and i got jack. Power but no backlight, but i did get fan but no heat off of cpu. Another thing i noticed whih doesnt sound right is i now have continuity across all terminals prior to cap install. I thought a while ago i tested them and found they were isolated? I used a large iron and solder wick to remove 99 of the old solder looking for a bridge but i didnt see any even under a scope. Any clues? Couldnt find smt tant caps anywhere locally and the ones i tried to farm off mobos broke before i could use them when i tried to remove them. I know the center pad is common to the inner stripes but the outers were isolated at one time, no other mods.....

Comment

If the CPU is still in the socket, its normal to measure a few ohms on the Vcore rail.
                          Not many types of capacitors are suitable. They have to be surface mount and very low ESR.
                          Although its long, try to read more of this thread.
                          The inner square is ground. The outer strips are connected together and is the Vcore + rail.
                          Last edited by rievax_60; 07-10-2013, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Cool, i read the entire 23 pages but didnt see anything about the continuity. Smt's will get tried next...anyone in usa got a few spares to sell me?

Comment

Originally posted by 68pishta View Post
                              I think i stuffed mine. I installed 4 360 caps across the stripe but i used regular cylindrical caps instead on a whim (already replaced with a cheap A105) and i got jack. Power but no backlight, but i did get fan but no heat off of cpu. Another thing i noticed whih doesnt sound right is i now have continuity across all terminals prior to cap install. I thought a while ago i tested them and found they were isolated? I used a large iron and solder wick to remove 99 of the old solder looking for a bridge but i didnt see any even under a scope. Any clues? Couldnt find smt tant caps anywhere locally and the ones i tried to farm off mobos broke before i could use them when i tried to remove them. I know the center pad is common to the inner stripes but the outers were isolated at one time, no other mods.....
                              That's what happened to mine when I bridged/shorted it on my first repair. Also showed as 0v across the caps.

All I had to do was remove it, clean it up, and resolder - that board has been working ever since.

Eitherway I will be repairing my fourth one soon (and this time will use 2.0v caps, to anyone interested in trying the same). If you want me to take any readings during repair I can - but I only have a simple DMM. To be honest though, if no continuity showed before, there's a chance something else in the power chain is damaged.

Cheers!

Comment

That would be great if you could test continuity between center neg and outer pos with and without the cpu installed. I read that you may see 5 ohm across if cpu is installed but isolated without. Looking forward to your findings.

Comment

I have come across a Toshiba Satellite P205D that exhibits the very same issues as described in this thread. It will boot up fine on battery. As soon as you plug in the charger, it either blue screens or goes to black screen and freezes. It will do it randomly without the battery installed, running on just the power brick. The power brick is good. Tested with a different charger and still the same problem. I will tear the unit down and look at the caps on the motherboard. If anyone else has already been through this with the same board, assistance would be highly appreciated.

Comment

Wow ,Great job,& I learn lots of things here.
                                    Thanks team....

Comment

Hi Guy's

I happen to have the same problem with a Toshiba A205. It has the 0E128 NEC on it. Ive been looking for some capacitors that would work. I haven't found any for the life of me. If someone could send me a link to what I need it would be much appriciated.

Thanks,
                                      HairyManBack

Comment

You can scavenge some off other boards. 4x 330uF 2.5v or 2v tantalum generally do the trick. Anyway... What parts supplier do you prefer? I'll try to locate some if you want to buy new.
                                        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I usually use Mouser, but DigiKey will work also.

Comment

Working...
                                          X