Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power-One solar Inverter driving me NUTS!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes you are probably correct. I will try and test all components in that area to the best of my ability. So far I did not see anything that was shorted. That silicone type coating all over the board makes it difficult.

Comment

the lamp circuit will be fine i guess . what i am trying to see is what turns it on and then see what tells it to come on . there must be something that measures the resistance to earth ground from panel outputs and i suspect something there is amiss . datasheet for the mcu might help a bit .

Comment

Not sure which one is the MCU for this circuit. I do know the alarm relay is on this corner of the board. Do you think this might be the MCU? Sorry for the upside down pic. it’s the only way I can get it under my microscope.

edit: looks like that one is a USB to serial
        Last edited by mitsu2k; 11-23-2023, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• CapLeaker
          CapLeaker commented
          Editing a comment
          You are on the wrong board.

TUSB34101 USB
        to Serial Port Controller

Comment

The strange part is that the GFI LED comes on instantly before the unit has time to go through its checks. I have seen videos online where the LED did not come on until after the checks.

Comment

from what i can make out its behaving correctly its only the "A" models that dont halt at this fault . unless yours is an "A" model

Comment

Not sure what the “A” model is but here is the labels
              Attached Files

Comment

OK now I’m thinking there is really a ground fault. When I connected it back up to the array and turned it on, I tried to measure current from positive, DC, negative DC, to earth ground. I was not able to measure any current, but when on the positive and touching the earth ground with my probe, I noticed very slight arching. I don’t get this arcing on the negative side.

I don’t think that should be the case. When I measured for voltage between the positive terminal and earth ground, I get approximately 149 V. Between the negative and earth ground I get approximately 87 V. The array itself positive to negative measures approximately 256 V. When I disconnect the array from the inverter and just measure the positive and negative coming from the array to earth ground I get very low transient voltage, like 5 to 10 V.

but the question is, where could this leakage be?

edit: when I remove the 4 red MOVs and perform the above test again, I get practically no voltage from negative to earth ground but the voltage from positive to earth ground jumps up to about 191v
                Last edited by mitsu2k; 11-24-2023, 03:25 PM.

Comment

leakage is on the negative if indeed there is any leakage .. the measurements suggest there is . maybe a cable is damaged or got water inside it .

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                    leakage is on the negative if indeed there is any leakage .. the measurements suggest there is . maybe a cable is damaged or got water inside it .
                    Are you referring to the cables coming from the array? I tested those disconnected from the inverter and they seem to test fine. I tested them with a mega and the resistance was in the high mega ohms on both the positive and the negative to earth ground. The inverter itself measures them above 20 mega Ohms when it performs it start up test.

Comment

Originally posted by mitsu2k View Post
                      OK now I’m thinking there is really a ground fault. When I connected it back up to the array and turned it on, I tried to measure current from positive, DC, negative DC, to earth ground. I was not able to measure any current, but when on the positive and touching the earth ground with my probe, I noticed very slight arching. I don’t get this arcing on the negative side.

I don’t think that should be the case. When I measured for voltage between the positive terminal and earth ground, I get approximately 149 V. Between the negative and earth ground I get approximately 87 V. The array itself positive to negative measures approximately 256 V. When I disconnect the array from the inverter and just measure the positive and negative coming from the array to earth ground I get very low transient voltage, like 5 to 10 V.

but the question is, where could this leakage be?

edit: when I remove the 4 red MOVs and perform the above test again, I get practically no voltage from negative to earth ground but the voltage from positive to earth ground jumps up to about 191v
                      That sounds like a real ground fault all right. I would start again bare ass from square one. This time take as sheet of paper and make nots want you did, how you did it and what the result was.
                      i do have a document that comes with a different inverter that deals with this on the solar side.
                      Attached Files

Comment

this post does not exist . honest .
                        Last edited by petehall347; 11-24-2023, 07:37 PM.

Comment

I have a question about the MOVs. None of them look discolored or show any signs of heat. They test open with DMM. I know this is not a proper test but should I just not worry about these?

Comment

I have a question about the MOVs. None of them look discolored or show any signs of heat. They test open with DMM. I know this is not a proper test but should I just not worry about these?
                            best way to test MOVs is with the Megger, Put 250V or whatever their max rating is on there and if the Megger ranges out, they are good to go.

Comment

Not sure what the “A” model is but here is the labels
                              i would expect the A to be part of the model number . maybe the manual has clues about it .

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post

best way to test MOVs is with the Megger, Put 250V or whatever their max rating is on there and if the Megger ranges out, they are good to go.
                                These are 3 legged MOVs. The middle leg on the positive terminals seems to be connected directly to earth ground.
                                Attached Files

Comment

The third leg is a thermal fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
                                    The third leg is a thermal fuse.
                                    so which legs do I test across with the megger?

Legs 1 and 2 from left to right test short.
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by mitsu2k; 11-24-2023, 08:58 PM.

Comment

2 is the middle leg. Number 3 is the closest leg to 2. Number 1 is the furthest away from leg 2 (middle pin).

leg 2 to leg 3 is the thermal fuse and should read a dead short.
                                      leg 1 to leg 3 is the MOV and it should be either OL or full scale resistance on the Megger.
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by CapLeaker; 11-24-2023, 09:29 PM.

Comment

I tested between the first and third legs in my photo. Here are the results.

500vdc test

175 mOhms

205 mOhms

215 mOhms

239 mOhms

I also tested the two blue ones on the AC side and those tested over 4000 mOhms. (full scale on megger)

Not sure what these results mean. Could all 4 of them be bad?
                                        Last edited by mitsu2k; 11-24-2023, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X