Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to change thermal compound? How not to do it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to change thermal compound? How not to do it!

Well had 2 cards come in today for repair... First was a GTX 780 that was shorted to ground... Blatantly obvious where it had gone as had 3 vaporized ceramic caps and a very burnt and cracked inductor. Swapped them all an all working

Next was a HD 7970 that failed to display.. So off I go strip the card down ready to pull the GPU and reball and I find this :

Took me some time to clean that off I can tell you!

So anyone who needs to apply thermal compound and has never done it before... The above is NOT how you do it!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Per Hansson; 04-10-2016, 12:13 PM. Reason: offsite image uploaded

Re: Need to change thermal compound? How not to do it!

<sarcasm>MORE IS BETTER!</sarcasm>

BTW your picture's not showing up for me... I'm just guessing what the picture looks like...

Comment

Image is dead, shows the missing image icon for me.

Comment

Added link to post

Comment

Re: For the love of god do not do this

:o

I suppose Zinc Oxide thermal compound was made for people who do this... (since it's not electrically conductive.)

Comment

OMFG...

Did you fix that card ?

Comment

Wow, that's impressive at least.
              stay classy

Comment

Yes both working now.

Took some time and a lot of IPA to clean the card down though!

Comment

Yes that must of been an entire LARGE tube of TIM!

GPU has been reballed and reworked onto the card = All working

Comment

Originally posted by newtothis View Post
                    Well had 2 cards come in today for repair... First was a GTX 780 that was shorted to ground... Blatantly obvious where it had gone as had 3 vaporized ceramic caps and a very burnt and cracked inductor. Swapped them all an all working

Next was a HD 7970 that failed to display.. So off I go strip the card down ready to pull the GPU and reball and I find this :

http://imgur.com/1EgQEZV

Took me some time to clean that off I can tell you!

So anyone who needs to apply thermal compound and has never done it before... The above is NOT how you do it!
                    It would of been good if you also posted the pictures after you clean it up and re-pasted it correctly.

Comment

Still can do... I only apply cheap compound after a reball for testing then change it for mx-4 or 5 for final application.

So when I clean the cheap stuff off later I will take some pics

Comment

man wtf is this? thermal paste shaving cream? no surprises why the gpu failed there from too much thermal paste!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                          man wtf is this? thermal paste shaving cream? no surprises why the gpu failed there from too much thermal paste!!!
                          Non conductive, it was a BGA connection fault - Reball sorted it out.

I think it was more of a case of the owner thought it would fix it by changing the thermal compound (Seems a lot of people auto think that changing it will somehow bring the card back to life :S ) and had no idea what they were doing! I have moaned before when finding a mess under the heatsink but this took the biscuit! I ended up just dropping the entire card into a bowl of IPA and getting the toothbrush on it.. bloody messy job!

Comment

you say non-conductive, but it has a capacitance.
                            you cant use it on high voltage parts!

Comment

no, im talking about the way how applying too much thermal paste acts as a thermal insulator instead. the ideal proper way to apply thermal paste is as thin a layer as possible. too thick of a layer just acts as an insulator instead of a conductor. that is the proper way!

Comment

holy fuck... That reminds me of my friends laptop that he used to bring to college, It would overheat and get really hot so that it would shut itself down. He told me he put a few new tubes paste in it. immediately i was like "a few tubes?!?!", so i took it home and opened it up and there was literally thermal paste spread over the entire motherboard and all over the casing, i dont know how it even managed to boot still, cleaned it with water and let it dry for a day infront of a fan, reapplied paste the correct way. The next day when i saw him i asked wtf he had done and how many tubes he put in and he said 12 tubes so then i had to teach him how thermal paste is meant to be applied. The laptop still works to this day since i cleaned it up

Comment

A little is good, a lot is better, right?

Comment

WOW!
                                    That is quite a bit of thermal compound on there.

I would have scooped it and saved it for non-critical re-use. There's enough to last you for a year worth of repairs with this!

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                      I would have scooped it and saved it for non-critical re-use. There's enough to last you for a year worth of repairs with this!
                                      i was waiting for someone to say that!

Comment

12 tubes!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
                                        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X