Dell Latitude 5570 Ambient thermal sensor reading -127 Degrees C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Latitude 5570 Ambient thermal sensor reading -127 Degrees C

Forgive me this is my first request for help on this forum, so if i've screwed up or not followed the rules i should have i apologise profusely.

I have a Dell Latitude 5570 that was randomly shutting down, on further investigation i found that the machine had been shutting down due to thermal events as noted by windows event viewer.
    My investigations lead me to the dell diagnostics screen, where i found that there were two sensors out of range which had been causing the shutdowns, one of which was the GPU thermal sensor and the other the ambient sensor.
    I opened the machine and found the thermal pads missing from the GPU VRAM, instead of pads there were just blobs of thermal paste, which i'm not sure actually did anything to help.
    After fitting the correct thermal pads to the heat sink assembly, i returned to the dell diagnostics screen and the GPU temperature had returned to a normal range, but the ambient sensor is stuck at -127C.
    I have had a quick look at the board view and can see references to the thermal trip and thermal diodes, but cant seem to find what components dell are using to measure the temperature.

So my questions are,
    1. Where would the ambient temperature sensor be located in the system?
    2. Could the lack of vram/gpu cooling have damaged the temperature sensing system?
    3. Is there a way to re-calibrate the sensor with software?

if not could you point me in the direction of what components i should be looking for on the motherboard that could be responsible for the sensor.
    I imagine some sort of NTC or diode would be used and i can find references to all the support components, but not the actual thermisitor itself.

Many thanks to anyone that can assist me with this.
Working...
X