Firefox.. WTF?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Firefox.. WTF?!

linux recently discovered a trojan for an irc uploaded to an ftp in nov 2009
    recently discovered
    this "trojan" attacked linux users
    i believe it was packed in an rpm

either way, youre not really that safe

i have never had problems with firefox in the sense of memory bloat or leaks
    i do tend to have 10+ windows open because i hate tabs

in linux it does crash a bunch, im not sure if that is caused by other things
    but as long as it remembers the pages i had open!
    unless i set it to private and delete history, dont save temp, etc

firefox works fine!!!
    your problem: 50 adware loaded in firefox + 30 viruses doing naughty stuff through firefox

oh, and yea, disable some of your plugins
    because.... do you really need to have them?

i believe in general its called "data management" and "computer maintenance" which will help you from being leaked of your memory!

Comment

My firefox has been a bit slower lately too and as already mentioned, the main problem is the addition of this annoying "plugin-container.exe" that runs in the background. It can drain quite a bit of resource. Apparently this is still a beta version so why it has been included in the upgrade is beyond me...I really dont like this new concept for integrating plugins. Why change what has worked before?

Here's a discussion about this:
      http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...95cef0a6?pli=1

Also, got this from another forum:

Go to the following link, click on "What's New in Firefox 3.6.4". The first 2 paragraphs is a brief explanation of what plugin-container.exe is designed to do. Right now, in Windows and Linux only, it isolates Adobe Flash, Apple Quicktime or Microsoft Silverlight plugins from the main browser, so that if one of those plug-ins crashes, your whole browser does not crash. This was done due to the large number of crashes caused by plug-ins. Plans are to add more plug-ins in later updates to Firefox.

https://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefo.../releasenotes/
      Source: http://support.mozilla.com/no/forum/1/704242

Comment

i wondered what that was on someone's pc
        glad i found out before i updated to the (beta)
        which ahem... they did not say was a beta

latest stable is still 3.6.3

Comment

i'm running 3.6.6
          that's the version i got through the auto-updater... not manually downloaded..

Comment

Originally posted by blowing_in_the_watts
            recently discovered
            Want the give some actual verifiable information here?
            Even if there was it's doubtful it could do anything unless you're logged in as root, which would be stupid..

Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

recently discovered

either way, youre not really that safe

in linux it does crash a bunch, im not sure if that is caused by other things
              but as long as it remembers the pages i had open!
              unless i set it to private and delete history, dont save temp, etc

firefox works fine!!!
              your problem: 50 adware loaded in firefox + 30 viruses doing naughty stuff through firefox

i believe in general its called "data management" and "computer maintenance" which will help you from being leaked of your memory!
              I block all the adware and don't use the plugins and the memory still leaks.

Odds are you simply don't know you have leak issues because you have more RAM than you actually need so there is plenty left to leak into. [So to speak.]

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

at the very least 5 windows with 4 tabs each
                firefox works fine!!!
                My system is completely spyware/virus free..
                Sandboxie also helps..
                i've tried to disable ALL of my plugins.. still does the same thing.
                right now i'm down to Adblock Plus and Video Download Helper. Some slight symptoms (short 0.5s lockups every now and then) already started appearing now after about 5hours runtime .. will get worse and worse till it's the same crap as in the video in the first post again -> unusable

i'm in the process of moving ahead, leaving fireturd behind..
                not much to choose from, but i guess it's gonna be either SRWare Iron or Opera .. i just need to find out how to get some sort of working adblocker (like adblock plus) and a tool for downloading streaming videos for sites like censortube.. pardon.. youtube..
                i've been using DownloadHelper for ages with firefox, because it just works best (detects videos where other plugins won't recognize anything..)

edit: by the way... i'm getting kinda tired of all your meaningless posts everywhere..
                VERY close to the border of what i would call spam..
                Last edited by Scenic; 07-13-2010, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
                  WTF happened to Firefox lately?
                  To me, it looks like my once so beloved browser has turned into a total POS lately..

constant lockups after a couple hours runtime, INSANE RAM usage (700MB for a couple windows with about 5 tabs each!?) and general instability/glitchyness..

i've never had problems like this with the old 2.x versions or the early 3.0.x versions..

i'll just leave this video here.. happened after less than 4 hours runtime.
                  started out as tiny 0.5sec. lockups on ebay (most noticable while scrolling). got worse and worse.. lockups got longer and longer and more and more frequent.. shortly after i recorded this video, firefox crashed completely..

everything's updated. i also tried disabling ALL of the plugins.. no go.. same BS..

i guess Firefox is no good anymore for powerusers like me who usually have more than just 3 windows with 5 tabs in total open..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSP2FN00n48
                  Sounds like a problem with your anti-virus software.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP
                    Sounds like a problem with your anti-virus software.
                    i don't see how his problem has to do with his anti-virus. i'm positive its firefox.

Comment

Agree
                      It's FF's memory use that creeps up, not the anti-V.
                      In fact I've tried it with the anti-V & spyware disabled and it has no affect.

FF just sucks worse every new version.
                      Getting bloated with CRAP like IE.

I backed up to FF 3.0.18 and it's much better than 3.5.x.

-

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      -

Comment

the funny thing is, for me, IE never even leaked memory compared to FF, so that's one of the reasons i never switched. opera ftw lol

Comment

Never noticed IE leaking either but I got tired of security patches.
                          That and I mostly still use W2k [because I don't like dealing with all that happy validation horse shit every time I change something] and the IE versions that work with W2k don't do tabs within a window.

-

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          -

Comment

Working...
                          X