Burning issues. No idea what is up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Burning issues. No idea what is up.

I had long string of Lite On burnouts (they gradually die (always a year then finally coasters or won't read so) so I started with LG. Good so far.

You should have not backed into a corner on how your configure the PC. And I only need exactly one disc drive and only two HDs.

And what is the heck this configuration of your PC with this sick disc drive?
    Give us details.

BTW, SCSI is not very good solution in personal PC. It's usually for large number of drives and having a SCSI disc drive is extremely rare and extremely expensive.

Best to reconfigure that PC without SCSI, go SATA. There are 4, 8, even 12 port SATA controller. Be careful with choice of chipset on that.

Comment

Well right now one IDE bus is reserved for hard drives and the other is for a regular DVD drive as well as a dvd burner.
      As soon as I get two new 500Gb SATA drives however I'll me changing things around.
      Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

...or you could get a SATA DVD Burner if you already have SATA onboard.

Comment

Yeah but only two ports and they will both be used by hard drives.
          Find Nedry!

Comment

You don't need two disc drives. Get a new burner and use it only, this will free up a space and save few watts too. LG brand is good. And hurry, PATA is fading away.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Lite On is cheap BS, i never bought one of those POS. Many big OEM`s like Medion have used them in the past.
              This proofs one thing in my mind: they must be cheap. Today i rarely see them in pre build systems anymore.
              I have used many LG burners in the last years and have had no problem. lately i have used a few Samsung burners too, due to local availability issues. So far no problem, but i have not full confidence in them, as they are cheaper then LG.

Comment

Whatever happened to Plextor and Yamaha drives being the best. Though all the modern ones look the same to me, plasticky.

I think pentium might be right in not going SATA, presumably IDE is more compatible, never any point buying something new if it's not going to do what something old does easily, with exception unless you're one for 'good automoton / good consumer dinner parties' . SATA connectors easily break too, according to wiki.
                Rubycon Rubycon Rubycon

Comment

plextor went a relabelling-brand. cheap samsung POS drives with plextor logo on it.
                  Yamaha went out of the optical drive business years ago.. very reliable, but too expensive for most users..

Comment

Speaking of Yamaha I do have two of their SCSI CD-RW drives. One is in a mac and the other is in an external enclosure. If I was not saving it for use with my SGIs I would plug the thing into the scsi card in the system however even then I could only burn cds.
                    Find Nedry!

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
                      plextor went a relabelling-brand.
                      Yes,
                      The 'cheap' Plextors are rebranded.
                      Might be Lite-On, BenQ, Samsung, or anyone else depending on the model.

The premium (read expensive) Plextors are still all Plextor so I understand.

Plextor had to branch out to stay in business because there aren't enough people willing to pay for premium drives.

~~~

LG -> Good ,, is a new idea for me.
                      I've always thought of them as crap and avoided them.
                      Bad experiences with them,, but a LONG time ago too.

~~~

Question:
                      I see a lot of people bad mouthing Samsung just because they are inexpensive.
                      That's contrary to what I've read about the newer models.
                      [But that may not be accurate. - You know how that stuff goes.]

Has anyone actually owned one that was made in the last 3 years or so?
                      - And how did it run?

Thanks.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

old LG drives weren't that good... true..
                        but any of those newer (2005+..maybe even 2004) DVD-ROM/DVD-RW drives seems to work forever..

my LG GSA-4167B DVD-RW drive was made in 02/2005 ... still going strong without loss of quality of the burned media..

Samsung..? no way..
                        bought a few of them about a year ago because LG drives were out of stock here..
                        the DVD-RW drive i had worked fine... for 3 months.. didn't read anything since then.. the replacement drive (warranty of the shop i bought it from) worked for about the same time..
                        the DVD-ROM worked fine for almost exactly 1 year.. it now has problems reading any media you put in there (spinning up and down all the time.. average read-speed of DVDs is 4x)

the only thing i don't use at all is lightscribe..
                        only wastes the laser...
                        and i don't use DVD-RW drives for reading media.. same reason as above...
                        i actually do that sometimes... but not all the time (like some people who only have a single DVD-RW drive..)
                        Last edited by Scenic; 11-09-2008, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Thanks Scenic!

-
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                          -

Comment

According to my sources, who know a couple of guys who make a ton of copies, Asus dvd writers are the have the most adequate price/endurance. That is, if you divide the price by the amount of copies you can make, they win.

Comment

So I understand:
                              Older Asus drives were Pioneer clones and newer are Lite-on clones.
                              Own build (I think) but use the same IC chips.
                              [Using same controller chips doesn't mean they use the same lazers though.]

-

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              -

Comment

>old LG drives weren't that good... true..

which model?

if he said LONG i would imagine he thinks cd rewriters, and with those i also had excellent results with lg (have one retired but just because i went for dvdrs instead of cdrs).

one thing i don't do: i never buy first generation of optical drives...
                                wait untill price becomes affordable....
                                2004 or 2005 was good time to start buying, yeah...
                                offcourse, in usa they had lower prices much earlier...

samsung?
                                it's recognized as "tsscorp" or something like that?
                                had one recently in the machine i was fixing; tried to burn a backup for customer, and my god what crap was this!
                                buffer constantly fluctuating and burning taking ages...
                                and it just cannot many hours of burning on it(can't be worn) becase these folks are no sort of pirates or alike...

Comment

TSSTCorp ... Toshiba-Samsung Storage Corporation
                                  should be written *very* small on the label, too..

old Toshiba drives were really reliable too, but since the joined venture with samsung, all they produce is crap

with older drives i meant "early" DVD-ROM drives (up to 8x DVD) and CD-RW drives slower than 32x write speed..
                                  really flaky stuff...

my 48x24x52 LG CD-RW drive lasted much longer than those even older ones though (its actually still working fine now )

oh and BTW... LG isn't really just LG (regarding optical drives)...
                                  HL-DT-ST ... Hitachi-LG Data Storage ...

Comment

Originally posted by i4004
                                    >old LG drives weren't that good... true..

which model?
                                    if he said LONG i would imagine he thinks cd rewriters, and with those i also had excellent results with lg
                                    I second this notion. I have an old LG CDRW drive (model CED-8080B), 32x read, 8x write, 4x re-write that I'm still using up to date. Burned over 100+ CDs with it (which is not that many I guess), and still haven't had a problem with it or with the disks it burned. In fact, many of the CDs it burned work well even with old Pentium-era CD-ROMs, whereas some of my friends' disks don't.
                                    I also have a Pioneer DVD8701 DVD-RW on the family Dell Dim. 3000. Does anyone know if those are good drives?

Comment

LONG time ago => Late '90's probably.
                                      The thing was such crap I haven't had an LG since.
                                      The thing wasn't ATAPI compliant even though the label specifically said it was.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                      -
                                      -

Comment

pioneer should generally be ok.

>HL-DT-ST ... Hitachi-LG Data Storage ..

knew that one.

cdfreaks have higher opinion of smasung, it seems
                                        http://club.cdfreaks.com/2149206-post36.html

"We have our top 5 drives of 2008

1. Pioneer DVR-115/215 series
                                        2. Samsung SH-S203 series
                                        3. Optiarc AD-72xx series
                                        4. Pioneer DVR-116/216 series
                                        5. Lite-On 20A4 series."

also review
                                        http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Sams...Burner-Review/

any dvd+r media was burned pretty good
                                        http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Sams...rformance.html
                                        some pretty astonishing
                                        http://club.cdfreaks.com/2074894-post6.html

and the user scans look pretty good
                                        http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/samsun.../index113.html
                                        (need to register to see some of those pix, but it's probably worth it)
                                        Last edited by i4004; 11-11-2008, 02:14 AM.

Comment

That's one of the places I saw that made me think Samsung might be okay but I think all those reviews are based on drives that are less than a week old.

Performance info is from those places is good to know but the people here know more about durability and how long they last.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                          -
                                          -

Comment

Working...
                                          X