DVD-RW Optical Drives. Why so crappy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD-RW Optical Drives. Why so crappy?

It turns out that my difficulties with Lubuntu and Peppermint were a direct result of faulty ISOs caused by my defective Plextor DVD-RW. It was burning the DVD images correctly, but the CD burns were screwed up. I didn't realize this until I played an audio CD burned with this unit and it was skipping near the end.

I guess this is why you should always verify the disk before you do the Linux install.

At any rate, re-burned the ISO using a good drive, and I am loving Lubuntu!
    The old CD drives lasted forever, but I've had multiple 3-year old DVD Drives go bad. Usually they will still burn CDs though. What's the option, buy a better
    $50 unit?

I find quite a few motherboards that recognize a USB stick as a boot device
    will not load a Linux OS, so for the older boards, I have to use optical drives

Re: DVD-RW Optical Drives. Why so crappy?

Originally posted by bigbeark View Post
    What's the option, buy a better
    $50 unit?
    CD/DVD writers are regularly being given away free on kijiji either standalone or with older P4s that everyone deems as too slow today. Check yours.

Best DVD writer I ever used was a Pioneer 109.

And yes, I use Lubuntu and it works great.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

let me give you a tip. Get the ISO for PLoP and burn it. Even to one of those card sized disks. It will let you boot from USB or PXE if your MOBO doesn't support them. Then carry around Bootable Linux Distros on flash drive. It'll even make a Pentium II boot a USB distro. Even screwy drives seem to load the first MB. (size of iso is 557k)
      Last edited by goontron; 08-17-2015, 03:21 PM.
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I still have some plextor optical drives that were made in Japan..... Those still work 15 years+ later. The chinese plextors? I need not elaborate any further other than they're long since recycled.... all the same chinese garbage.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
          Best DVD writer I ever used was a Pioneer 109.
          unfair comparison, afaik that was a slot-loading scsi drive.
          i have the cdrw version.

i also have a few scsi plextor 40max and a few scsi plextor burners, and a few nec ide burners.

because keeping a small stock of the real quality stuff is just common sense.

Comment

I always stay away from especially "Samsung" optical drive. I have seen unit that failed right out of the box. Some of my old Samsung optical drive are either vibrating very badly or the rubber sponnge (what they called it, I have no idea) start to deteriorate and leave a trail of the mess at the center of my disc.

Comment

When burning discs was the big thing, i used to have a stack of dead LG, Asus and Samsung drives. Once i bought my first Lite-On i never had to buy another optical drive again. Both of mine still work top notch 7+ years later. Hardly use them anymore but if i need them they are there.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                When burning discs was the big thing, i used to have a stack of dead LG, Asus and Samsung drives. Once i bought my first Lite-On i never had to buy another optical drive again. Both of mine still work top notch 7+ years later. Hardly use them anymore but if i need them they are there.
                Lite-On seemed to work ok I use a lg drive now
                My pc
                CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
                MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
                RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
                PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
                GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

Lite-on have always been the worst for me. Every 2nd one I see has a jammed tray. I always use Samsung in new PCs, and rarely have problems.
                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                    Lite-on have always been the worst for me. Every 2nd one I see has a jammed tray.
                    Do you really mean jammed, or just that the rubber O ring has rotted and fallen off? That happens eventually to every drive that uses that mechanism. Easy enough to fix - if you can find a similarly sized O ring to replace it. These never seem to be available anywhere local though.

Comment

the tray belt is more of a problem if the drive is not used for a long time because it warps to the oval shape it's held in and then hardens
                      it's a bit of a problem on some xbox360's too.

Comment

Originally posted by mathog View Post
                        Do you really mean jammed, or just that the rubber O ring has rotted and fallen off? That happens eventually to every drive that uses that mechanism. Easy enough to fix - if you can find a similarly sized O ring to replace it. These never seem to be available anywhere local though.
                        Jammed completely. The only way to get the tray open is to press the eject button and then force-eject it with a paperclip in the hole. If you can get it out the first centimeter or so, then the motor will then eject the tray the rest of the way and close it with no problem. I've seen it occasionally on Samsung and LG drives too, but nowhere near as much as Lite-on.
                        Last edited by c_hegge; 08-20-2015, 04:47 AM.
                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

are the runners greased under the tray?

i'v noticed a couple of mfr's not bothering to grease the tray anymore.
                          the other thing i'v seen is the laser assembly not dropping because the magnet in the hub clamp is so strong that it holds the mechanism to the top casing!
                          Last edited by stj; 08-20-2015, 05:58 AM.

Comment

I have one Lite-On and one Samsung drive that stick. The Samsung drive drops the laser and motor assembly before sticking.

Comment

Never had any problems with the trays on mine either, guess i just got lucky. But a working tray is no good if the laser's dead.

While they were the worst desktop drives, on the other hand, i have found LG drives to be the most reliable notebook opticals. Every other brand's laptop drives drop like flies, including Pioneer. Don't think i've seen too many Lite-On laptop drives though.
                              Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 08-20-2015, 06:06 PM.
                              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I have too many drives to list. Actually, I lie, they are already listed here, and the list is growing every time I find another PC!

I recently found a Lite-On SHM-165P6S inside a dual P2 system, which had the tray faceplate torn off. It now sports a Writemaster logo from a dead Samsung SH-W162C drive. Good thing both drives were DVD burners.

Comment

What I find with Lite-ON drives is that if you re-cap them before they start to exhibit problems, they last long. But once the tray starts sticking I usually can't bring them back.

They always use half height 16V 100uF or 220uF which need special replacements that match.

I know it's not very scientific, but it's just my experience.
                                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

that's a sad list,
                                    not only is there no plextor's, but you dont have a pioneer slotloader.
                                    those are probably the most solid built professional drives ever.

Comment

heh, i had a pioneer 108 back in the days when they made them decent quality

I mostly get ASUS burners. have had no customers complain of problems, but one fail on me by never staying shut
                                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
                                      X