New more 'explosive' Sacon FZs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New more 'explosive' Sacon FZs

I found these on a graphics card at work today. They are Sacon FZ caps without vent stamps. These ones are gonna be fun to overvolt.
    Attached Files
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Re: New more 'explosive' Sacon FZs

I hate Sacon FZ; the only thing you can rely on them to do is explode. I had a graphics card with these on them that blew up when I was watching a full-screen 1080p video -- it kind of startled me when there were two loud pops. It was a lesson learned.

Comment

Could these by any chance be solid caps????? Just by looking at the fz I get chills ))
      Guns don't solve problems. I'll take 12

Comment

^
        Nope, FZ are not solid caps. They are just regular sacons which will go off with a bang twice as loud as usual when they fail.

btw, I have already recapped the card with Ruby MCZ and Nich HZ, as well as replaced the heat sink with a passive one (the fan was dead). It seems OK just from a quick test.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

They do look like solid polys indeed. But knowing Sacon, they most likely aren't. Of course, we will see once you're done "overclocking" them .

Perhaps Sacon just decided to ditch the vents to get their caps to look like polys now. Will sure scare a lot of customers when eventually their caps fail and start popping like firecrackers. Sure they've already been doing that, but now with no vents at all...
          Turn on your computrer and run away
          Last edited by momaka; 03-14-2012, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Hey, at least when you hear a pop you know the caps have blown. No multimeter required! hehe:P

Just curious, what kind of video card is that?

Comment

If the gpu fan is original as it looks, Galaxy video card. No decals or labels in the first post's photo other than the fan.
              Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

Galaxy (now known as KFA²) Geforce G 210 with 512MB DDR3

http://www.kfa2.com/210512d3.html

edit: seems like it was also available with 1GB, or lots of websites use the wrong image for the card.

edit2: http://skinflint.co.uk/eu/717791
                Last edited by Scenic; 03-15-2012, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Hehe, now all they need to do is to seal off the bottom with epoxy like the OS-CON caps

-Ben
                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Yup. It is indeed a Galaxy GF210. Galaxy love using Sacon caps i their low-end cards (and sometimes in their high end cards too - I've seen a GF 7950GT with them).

Comment

Here's the bit you've all been waiting for - the carnaige.

Two of them just blew the rubber seals half way out, the other three sent the cans into orbit. I think I also shot a small spider with one.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                        Here's the bit you've all been waiting for - the carnaige.

Two of them just blew the rubber seals half way out, the other three sent the cans into orbit. I think I also shot a small spider with one.
                        Haha Me Gusta
                        IOW, I like that very much! I can see this freaking some old grammy out when her computer suddenly goes BANG and her screen goes all colorful!

Comment

Yup. They were loud. It sounded like a firecracker going off in my ear. You can see how bent the cans are on the three that exploded, probably because of hitting the concrete floor hard.

EDIT: Here's the card recapped in Ruby MCZ and Nich HN (not HZ like I said earlier), and with it's new cooler. I pulled the cooler from a dead FX5500. I was going to use a passive cooler, but it was getting WAY too hot.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by c_hegge; 03-15-2012, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Yup, crappy caps of that size without vents...
                            Good job Sacon :\ .

If only PowMax would start using them. Then they would truly hold up to their name every time with every single PSU .

Comment

Must've been one hell of a lot of pressure inside the can judging by the bottom right cap's top.
                              Next time you pop those, solder them flush onto a PCB so they can't push the rubber bung out

Comment

Yup, and it built up pretty quickly too. It didn't even take 1 second for them to explode once I applied 12V to them in reverse-polarity.

Comment

It's only a matter of time before they blow up in some unsuspecting tech's face

Comment

What happens if you overvolt a real solid polymer cap? Does it blow up too, or just fail silently? Also do the insides look vastly different or is it hard to tell them apart? I think the solid ones wouldn't be as moist.

Comment

Originally posted by b700029 View Post
                                      What happens if you overvolt a real solid polymer cap? Does it blow up too, or just fail silently? Also do the insides look vastly different or is it hard to tell them apart? I think the solid ones wouldn't be as moist.
                                      as someone who has accidently done this (put a 16V poly on a monitor inverter circut)

they...actually do what hegge described. firecracker pop, then usually 'burnt popcorn' smell
                                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

yes polys will blow up if reversed or overvolted.and they do stink.
                                        btw looks like sacon wore out their vent stamp dies and decided they were not really needed afterall.

Comment

Working...
                                        X