Can't scan for channels on Vizio gallevia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't scan for channels on Vizio gallevia

So I have an older Vizio Gallevia hdtv my daughter gave me in bedroom, and trying to hook it up to broadcast antenna. On the remote I can chose input then tv and I choose air. Then it takes me to Auto scan for channels. Then is only auto scans the analog channels. It just stops and never scans the digital channels. Ive tried resetting the tv from the remote. It doesn't matter. It always stops halfway. it scans analog then just sits there and stops before scanning for digital channel. There is no way to manual program them you can only auto scan.

Re: Can't scan for channels on Vizio gallevia

Do a hard reset, factory default, rescan channels and report back.

Comment

look for dtv button on remote ..press it first

Comment

What is the EXACT model number of the TV?
        Never stop learning
        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Vizio gv42l fhdtv ---vizio gallevia Ive tried 2 different ways to factory reset. Holding down power button for 30 sec.when it was unplugged. And thru the remote. ive reset it. Nothing changes. and there is no dtvs button on remote. this was using antenna and broadcast channels for awhile then she moved it and it was on cable now ive moved it to bedroom and tried to put it back on antenna and it won't scan channels.

Comment

here is the manual .. it says it has dtv button .. can you get it into dtv mode ?
            http://tv.manualsonline.com/manuals/...v42l.html?p=27

Comment

is there maybe a firmware update you could do?

Comment

post a picture of the screen showing the menu that you are using to cause the scan... might help figure out where you are at versus where the forum is.

further what is the surrounding "environment"... house / apartment / room.... how do you know that what the incoming cable is connected to... is it in a wall plate?
                Last edited by budwich; 09-30-2017, 09:53 AM.

Comment

I have manual. I have plugged it into the same connection it was plugged into before, the dtv/tv connection. There is no specific dtv button there is a tv button and a tv/dtv connection. The digital option is greyed out in the settings on menu which when I looked it up means it is not sensing anything is plugged in. I have to work all weekend but monday I should be able to buy another antenna and try it.

Comment

And THANKS! for everyone help so far! when I get another antenna on Monday I will post results.

Comment

You should be able to scan for digital channels with and without any antenna attached to the TV. You can't even get the thing to scan, so don't waste money on a new antenna.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandma View Post
                        I have manual. I have plugged it into the same connection it was plugged into before, the dtv/tv connection. There is no specific dtv button there is a tv button and a tv/dtv connection. The digital option is greyed out in the settings on menu which when I looked it up means it is not sensing anything is plugged in. I have to work all weekend but monday I should be able to buy another antenna and try it.
                        I wasn't referring to the TV side of things... there is only one coax connector on the TV... I was talking about where the "other end" of the cable was plugged into... a wall plate, an outside cable, what? IF its the same "cable point" that your were plugged into before and said you were "taking cable tv service" and now you want to use "antenna" on the same connection... something has to change at the "far end" of the incoming cable connection. Basically, how about a picture of your tv antenna that you are trying to use.
                        Last edited by budwich; 10-01-2017, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Days off work again so I tried to fix tv Again it will not work.. I've used several indoor antenna's old and new. I took the mirror to help look in back to all connections. I'm connected to tv/dtv connection. if I take off the antenna the analog as well as the digital is greyed out so it is sensing the antenna. as you can see. from 2nd pic with antenna connected only the digital is greyed out.

[/URL][/IMG]

Comment

The manual has an anomaly in instructions. I would remove the antenna and turn set on for a few minutes then turn set off for a number of minutes including remove from pp. Then attach antenna plug set in and turn on. Then with remote push to select TV then push input and see if both options of TV and DTV show along with HDMI etc. If so select DTV and then go to scan menu.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandma View Post
                              Days off work again so I tried to fix tv Again it will not work.. I've used several indoor antenna's old and new. I took the mirror to help look in back to all connections. I'm connected to tv/dtv connection. if I take off the antenna the analog as well as the digital is greyed out so it is sensing the antenna. as you can see. from 2nd pic with antenna connected only the digital is greyed out.

[/URL][/IMG]
                              are you sure thats the rite menu screen im sure digital cc means Closed Captioning that has nothing too do with the tuning of the tv

Comment

X2...ah ha... now we are getting some place.
                                from the picture... you need to be one more icon over for the antenna settings information.
                                Last edited by budwich; 10-06-2017, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by maxvalutech View Post
                                  The manual has an anomaly in instructions. I would remove the antenna and turn set on for a few minutes then turn set off for a number of minutes including remove from pp. Then attach antenna plug set in and turn on. Then with remote push to select TV then push input and see if both options of TV and DTV show along with HDMI etc. If so select DTV and then go to scan menu.
                                  A further "ah ha". this has correctly identified the issue. You are currently selected as "TV" which means the in coming connection on the coax connector is expecting to see rf coming from things like a vcr or an "analog antenna signal". You need to press the "tv" button to select "DTV" instead of "TV" (the button has a dual "switching function" to switch the coax connection switch internal to the tv).
                                  Last edited by budwich; 10-06-2017, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Please excuse the bad pics. I'm in a hurry on my way to work. I have disconnected and reconnected power cord as well as antenna. to reset tv . It will not work. . also there is no tv/dtv button. there is tv/dtv connection. its the same exact connection! there is no tv/dtv/ button. there is tv if you push it , it does not change to dtv. that must be some other model. as you can see there is just 2 modes on tuner. air and cable. i was showing the other screen just so you could see digital is greyed out. When I try the auto scan it will only scan analog. it will never scan digital.

[/URL][/IMG]

Comment

you have to push the tv button again... that cycles the connection between "tv" and "dtv".

Comment

Theres no tv button that cycles between the 2. The tv, choice cycles to Tv/ then component1 then component 2 then RGB then hdmi 1 then hdmi 2. Ive tried it all. It is supposed to auto scan both analog and digital and it does not.

Comment

Working...
                                        X