Common Phillips 47PFL3603D/27 Black screen problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Common Phillips 47PFL3603D/27 Black screen problem

Around 3 years ago I bought the Phillips 47" 47PFL3603D/27 from walmart. The problem I am experiencing is when the TV runs for about 5-10 minutes it turns black but you can hear the sound still. I can turn the TV off/on and it fixes the situation for a few more minutes and then it turns black again. I have been reading around this forum as well as other sites on the web and have come to find this to be a common problem with these models.

Now adays this tv would go for about 400 bucks but back when i bought it, i spent around 1600 on it and would like to fix it. After reading many other websites I was going to spring for the power supply from bestbuy.com for around $190 but then I found this forum where people seem to be very helpful with others where they didnt have to replace the entire power supply pannel.

I have attached the pictures of my power supply which I see no damge to. If anyone would mind looking at them and telling me if i need to get a new one or whether I can replace some burnt out chip that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Nick
    Attached Files

Re: Common Phillips 47PFL3603D/27 Black screen problem

Frankly, the pictures you uploaded are useless. I MIGHT be able to spot a cap with a bulging top, but I wouldn't bet on it. I suggest you look at those pictures, then compare them to the one I've attached. We need pictures of the quality of the one I attached.

Next, I am not sure that this is a power supply problem. There are a couple of tests you can make, but to suggest them I will need better pictures.

PlainBill
    Attached Files
    For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

If I remember correctly these TVs do not have separate inverter boards and the problem is on the inverter section of power supply. Unless you have good desoldering/soldering skills I would say this is not something you will be able to fix as not only are the FETs on the inverter section most likely bad but also several SMD diodes and transistors on the back of the board. I have run across this problem a few times recently on these Philips and Magnavox TVs. Each time the TV was powered on it had a dim screen and after about 30 seconds the backlights would shutdown completely. You will have to test for shorted components on the inverter section to be sure this is your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
        Frankly, the pictures you uploaded are useless. I MIGHT be able to spot a cap with a bulging top, but I wouldn't bet on it. I suggest you look at those pictures, then compare them to the one I've attached. We need pictures of the quality of the one I attached.

Next, I am not sure that this is a power supply problem. There are a couple of tests you can make, but to suggest them I will need better pictures.

PlainBill
        PlainBill, thank you very much for you response. I did notice while I was uploading them they were a bit fuzzy. I apologize and will get new ones uploaded here tonight.

Originally posted by rayrod81 View Post
        If I remember correctly these TVs do not have separate inverter boards and the problem is on the inverter section of power supply. Unless you have good desoldering/soldering skills I would say this is not something you will be able to fix as not only are the FETs on the inverter section most likely bad but also several SMD diodes and transistors on the back of the board. I have run across this problem a few times recently on these Philips and Magnavox TVs. Each time the TV was powered on it had a dim screen and after about 30 seconds the backlights would shutdown completely. You will have to test for shorted components on the inverter section to be sure this is your problem.
        Rayrod - from what you outlined in your post I can tell i do not have the knowledge or skills to fix this myself but I do have a few questons.

By buying a completely new power supply and installing it, might that still not clear up the problem?
        Could an experienced tv technician possibly be able to fix this with a few smaller parts (and labor obviously) instead of replacing the entire power board.

Thank you both,
        Nick

Comment

An experienced TV tech can repair this but it may end up costing much more than you would want to spend. Most TV techs are gonna charge at least a couple of hours of labor to repair your TV. While the parts may only cost $15-$20 you will still end up paying $200 or more depending on the labor rate.

If you buy a multimeter and learn to use it to check the components on the power supply you will save a lot of money and will be able to identify the problems yourself. You can buy them fairly cheap at Radioshack or any hardware store.

Also, $190 for this power supply is about a 300% mark-up. You can find this board for around $50 to $75 with Google. Just search the part number from the white sticker. Never buy this from a retail electronics outlet because the prices are ridiculous.

Comment

has anyone found a solution for this problem? I have the exact same issue. I purchased what was supposed to be a "new" board on EBAY (from China) and i still have the issue. My first board burned up and was beyond repair. With the "new" board it works but it loses video after about 5 min then I turn it off and back on after 10 sec and it works fine for hours. I could tell the board wasn't new by the scratches around the screw holes and some other dirt/dust. I'm willing to replace the bad components if somebody could help me find better ones.

Comment

Originally posted by mef601 View Post
              has anyone found a solution for this problem? I have the exact same issue. I purchased what was supposed to be a "new" board on EBAY (from China) and i still have the issue. My first board burned up and was beyond repair. With the "new" board it works but it loses video after about 5 min then I turn it off and back on after 10 sec and it works fine for hours. I could tell the board wasn't new by the scratches around the screw holes and some other dirt/dust. I'm willing to replace the bad components if somebody could help me find better ones.
              As was suggested to me above, I was going to get a mulimeter and start going through everything on the supply but I had an alert set on one of the part stores that carries the part sometime. The name was River valley electronics. I bought the power supply for 70 bucks, installed it and am watching the tv right now.

Sorry I cant help you with the components and to hear about the bum one you got.

Comment

thanks nrubino. was your part new, referb, or used?

Comment

thanks nrubino. was your part new, referb, or used?
                  I believe it was a fully tested referb. They also have a 6 month guarantee.

Comment

nrubino: I also have a Philips TV that blacks out after a period of time. The length of time varies depending on how long the TV has been off before turning it back on. I've searched the internet and found that many people have this problem but there aren't many clear answers on the fix.

4 days ago you posted that you had installed a new power supply and were watching TV. Questions:

1) Is your TV still working?
                    2) Is your new power supply part number: 2300KEG033A-F PLHL-T722A?

As I mentioned, it seems that this blackout problem is a common complaint. Someone on another forum thread suggested that since the problem appears after the TV warms up, there could be an overheating problem somewhere on the power supply board. Assuming that's true, could it be a design problem that makes replacing the board just a temporary fix? Is there a better solution that doesn't include getting a different model TV entirely? I swear I'm this close from that solution.

Comment

yep, that's the part number and it's definitely the problem. on the upper right side of the board is a bunch of 2200uF caps and they are faulty. the only place i could find the board was on ebay and shipped out of China. Just search for "plhl-t722a".

Comment

"yep, that's the part number and it's definitely the problem. on the upper right side of the board is a bunch of 2200uF caps and they are faulty."

Thanks mef601. Mind a couple of more questions? How did you determine what caused the caps to go bad? If this is a design problem, why wouldn't any replacement boards keep going bad too? Thanks.

Comment

I would replace the a set of caps on the used board also.
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
                          Never stop learning
                          Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                          http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

i'm going to replace the caps on my board with some better caps. that should get me through another 5+ years. by then it's time for a new TV anyway.

Comment

ShofCo, yep its still workin, knock on wood, and as mef601 mentioned that is the model number.

Comment

I replaced the caps on the inverter side of the board and it worked great for a few weeks. then my picture started to flicker between normal brightness and a darker/dimmer picture. Now the picture is dim and will flicker to the brighter version while watching. Would anyone happen to know if there is another component on the board that should be replaced?

Comment

I replaced the caps on the inverter side of the board and it worked great for a few weeks
                                  What brand and series did you use for replacements?
                                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Panasonic

Comment

Panasonic
                                      Panasonic what? The series is a 2 letter code like FM.

In addition, did you replace all the capacitors or just the obviously bulged ones?
                                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

2 or 3 different types. i found the issue, bad solder joint elsewhere on the board. just not sure where. if i apply pressure to a component or heat sink the problem goes away.

Comment

Working...
                                        X