What are these caps?

No brand name or markings familiar to me here:

http://jonnyguru.com/PSU/TP2-550W/IMG_0540.jpg
    Rest in peace BFG. You were... a job...

Re: What are these caps?

Is that the Panasonic logo?

Comment

I dunno. It's not a trick question. I really don't know.

Comment

Half way down the page https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...4&page=4&pp=20

Third of the way down the page https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=588

Ya gotta show the vent cap well in pics

There is no stripe down the side of the cap?? Is it a Chinese knock-off of a Panny??

Comment

Damn. I'll check for the "T" on the vent in the morning.

I doubt it's a "knock off." It's an Antec PSU.

It would make sense if the "M" stood for Matsushita, but I didn't think Antec used Panasonic caps in their PSU's. But if there's no "T" on the top, which is a Panasonic exclusive, would that mean they'd have to be knock offs?

Comment

Here's the photo embedded in a post. Sorry I didn't do that before, and of course BadCaps isn't set up to allow for edits after a period of time.

I'll get more photos tomorrow.

Comment

It looks like it *should* be a Panasonic. Either it is or it's a counterfeit one.

What does the vent look like, Jonny?

Edit: No T? Seeing as Antecs are famous for bad caps (Fudge-Yous especially) it wouldn't shock me. This is my last Channel Well.
              You know there's something wrong when you open up a PSU and are glad to find Teapos.
              Why I don't buy cheap cases!

Comment

Large can-type or HV Panasonics don't necessarily have a T-vent. These look like regular M-series 85c Panasonic. Nothing wrong with them, they're pretty much indestructible on the primary side.

Comment

I bet it's a knockoff, seeing how cheap crap Antec uses for the rest of their designs (Fuhjyyu)
                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

well we all know and have opinions about the Antec Brand but what if....
                    Finally somebody at Antec woke up and decided it was time to have a quality PSU?

I understand people being quick to jump on the band wagon and you all are probably right.

But what if....

Comment

Well, it's a very current unit. It's a True Power 2.0 550W SLI. And it did fine in the load tests except for that it got really hot (50C) and shut down. So I was thinking, if this thing had fake Panasonics, it's only a matter of time before this thing blows up. But if it's that recent and they really are Panasonics, maybe it'll be fine even if temps hit 50C.

I have to be skeptical. Any Antec I've personally had has had the primarys blow up. One time, right by my ear.

Comment

I don`t hink that this caps are faked, loks like a genuine Panasonic to me. In generall, i think that the primary caps arent the problem in PSU`S, as those big caps are easy to produce and due to their size they will suvive any of the primary caps. Even not that good cap brands will work fine on that application. So if heat is a concern i would first think about those secondary side caps, as they have to stand against temperature and a lot of ripple current too (which will heat up the caps too).
                        Is this temp a realistic comparable with an 30 or 40°c input air temp (like normal pc cases) or on free air?
                        Last edited by gonzo0815; 07-11-2006, 07:05 AM.

Comment

gonzo, why is this a problem (secondary side)? I thought both the primary and secondary sides had filtering mechanisms? If so, why should the secondary side bear the brunt?
                          Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
                          Zippy GSM-6600P
                          Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
                          Abit IP35Pro
                          ATi HD4870

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo0815
                            I don`t hink that this caps are faked, loks like a genuine Panasonic to me. In generall, i think that the primary caps arent the problem in PSU`S, as those big caps are easy to produce and due to their size they will suvive any of the primary caps. Even not that good cap brands will work fine on that application. So if heat is a concern i would first think about those secondary side caps, as they have to stand against temperature and a lot of ripple current too (which will heat up the caps too).
                            Is this temp a realistic comparable with an 30 or 40°c input air temp (like normal pc cases) or on free air?
                            Like I said, I've had Antec's blow primary side caps. There's even a poor bloke over at HardOCP that had one of his primarys catch fire: http://img197.*************/my.php?i...ture0075wk.jpg

Hey.. I just noticed. Those have a "T"! Of course, the fire could easily be from a short at or around the cap and not from the cap itself, but I digress....

I'll get better pics of it AND the secondary caps in a few minutes.

As for the temps, I essentially have my load tester venting heat back into the case. So in other words: Whatever wattage the PSU creates, is turned into heat and pumped back into the case. So the temps might be a bit higher than typical, and the PSU was putting out a sustained 550W when the temps got up that high. But it's not like I cranked the room temp up to 50C. The room temp is only 25C.

Comment

That's the Matsushita logo, and the series, "UQ" is probably the TS-UQ series marketed under the Panasonic brand and available from D-K.
                              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

I updated the photo. It is a Panasonic cap.

Unfortunately, all of the secondary caps are still Fujhhyu.

Comment

primary caps seldom fail unless someone flips the 115/230 switch to 115 and plugs it in to 230.hmm we need an exploding cap smiley.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
                                    primary caps seldom fail unless someone flips the 115/230 switch to 115 and plugs it in to 230.hmm we need an exploding cap smiley.
                                    Well... I've had them blow up on me twice and I was nowhere near the 115/230V switch.

But there could've been a short inside the PSU that triggered the explosion, so I'm discounting anything.

Comment

Well, as long as the cap isn`t mechanically dammaged, i don`t think they will blow for nothing. But ok, if seriousely overloaded over some time i can immagine that the ESR will become important, due to the higher ripple current and the high temp. But normaly as stated before, due to their absolut size there are a lot of elektrolyt in them (to dry out somhow). And even high ripple currents will only over long time affekt the caps, due to the size and surface of thos big buggers, disipating heat. And i am not aware about some high voltage cap having an aqueouse elektrolyt......wich could be funny

But at least i am right there, those I/P caps will survive those bad Fujhhyu crap by decades.
                                      Is this still a aktuall unit from Antec? haven`t they stoped selling this utter Fujhhyu crap caps as "high end" stuff for a lot of money?

I think it is time for an lawsuite against them, it seems to me that they need to suffer substantiall loses to learne the lesson.
                                      Hope the other reviewers will notice that Antec isn`t a good brand, even if they will do it if they are new.

Comment

You're thinking of Seasonic. Seasonic started using Nippon Chemi-Con. To my knowledge, Antec never got away from using Fujyyhu.

Comment

Working...
                                        X