Hdd recovery help needed..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hdd recovery help needed..

I HAD MADE A WRONG DECISION WITH A CUSTOMER.
    I ACCEPTED A CUSTOMER LAPTOP WITH PROBLEM NOT STARTING WINDOWS.
    STRUCK AT BOOT SCREEN. I PROMISED TO KEEP THE DATA (SOME IMPORTANT THING) AND RE INSTALL WINDOWS. AFTER THAT I CAME TO KNOW THAT THE HDD CONTAINS LOT OF BAD SECTORS I CONNECTED THE HDD THROUGH USB IT TOOK 5 MIN TO DETECT THE DRIVES. AND ITS IN DAMAGED CONDITION.
    HERE THE LOCAL PEOPLES IN UAE ARE "CRAZY" THEY DON'T KNOW ANYTHING AND THEY WONT ACCEPT ANY TECHNICAL REASONS. I'M REAL IN A HELL NOW.
    ANY WAY TO GET BACK THE DATA....
    ANY SUGGESTIONS..?

Re: Hdd recovery help needed..

if you use linux there is a few copiers that will re-try bad sectors until they get a good read or the world ends - whatever comes first.

not sure about win though.

Comment

i used hdd regenaretor... but it says mbr is damaged.
      any i dont want to recover it . i just want to give it back in the same condition i received.

Comment

try some of these
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...overy_software
        with a working machine and the faulty hd connected to it obviously.

Comment

going to try kalii linux . forensic.

Comment

let me know how to get on

Comment

I have used "ddrescue" in ubuntu to recover data from a badly damaged drive but it took about 4 days. Info here http://www.debianadmin.com/recover-d...-using-dd.html and here http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-do...e-command.html

Comment

just a heads up: if windows cant fix something, it will break it to the point that nothing can fix it.
                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I've encountered many drives that stop a windows PC from booting or crash when connected through USB but Linux will mount and copy, ignoring the faulty parts when copied to an external USB drive.

I use a Mint or Ubuntu CD in the original PC/laptop.

Comment

sometime i also face same case.
                    at that moment i use linux live cd or resuce disk e.g. HirenBootCd, UltimateBootCD to get the data back.

try HirenBootCD, remove bad sector & load minixp, see if data is visible.

Comment

The Linux on Hiren's Boot CD will work for this.

I have done the same thing for a customer yesterday. In an USB-SATA rack it took 5 minutes for Windows to detect it, and then it asked if i want to format it. Put it back in the laptop and booted Linux from Hiren's Boot CD and it mounted all 3 partitions with no problems. Got all his important data back.
                      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by dspok View Post
                        sometime i also face same case.
                        at that moment i use linux live cd or resuce disk e.g. HirenBootCd, UltimateBootCD to get the data back.

try HirenBootCD, remove bad sector & load parted magic, see if data is visible.
                        fixed that for you. if windows cant fix something, it will break it to the point that nothing can fix it and the parts of the os that does that still exit is miniXP. which is EOL BTW so i would stay off the net with it.
                        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

i would stay off the net with any windows version.
                          atleast with xp they wont be adding any NEW backdoors!

Comment

if hard drive is not so bad damaged, u can try hdd recovery, make cdrom and scan and repair hard drive, then get data from usb or direct sata connection.

another program i love to use is: get data back for fat or ntfs. it took a big time but generally i get all files i need.

another option is partition recovery.

sometimes if hard drive is not working, a simple "chkdsk /F X:" where x is the partition shown as empty in windows) fix the problem and then hard disk become visible again.

PS: write in caps lock is a bad idea on a forum, it's like scream to people.
                            Last edited by dellxps15; 05-01-2014, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dellxps15 View Post
                              PS: write in caps lock is a bad idea on a forum, it's like scream to people.
                              Sorry for that....

Comment

I got a lession ,that, its not safe to made hdd recovery until you are in safe place.
                                what happened is , when i was tryind hdd regenerator, it reached 8% my boss removed hdd saying there is no progress. so the 'c:' drive is damaged.
                                when i tryed to copy from linux flatform , a customer came and turned my laptop , again the hdd lost connection. and now it completly ruined my life. the hdd is not working anymore.

Any way i think the better way to recover is from linux flatform. bcoz it ignores filesystems. and able to mount many file types.

Comment

hi friend first of all mistake can be happen but to rectify them is very important. sometime mistake are payable so now it is depend on you how you convenes the customer one thing you can do is to inform your customer that your hard disk is bad need to replace give him the price tell him new hard disk have one year warranty I will install software for you free of cost and I will try to recover your data what ever I will get it recovery will take 5 to 10 days ? if he really need data he will be ok because he also have no option once he get his laptop fixed he start working on it he will not care of data just keep hard disk a side in box after 5 to 6 days call him and tell him sir we tried your data for 5 days but still not able to recover your hard disk stop working in between so recovery not possible after that he will get relax and you are in safe
                                  second thing he may ask you causes about hdd failure you can say due to temperature heating issue virus problem computer not shutdown properly etc.. third thing is he will ask you how he will get date so Google the data recovery professional near to your location and give him their number. I am also in UAE so I the nature of people

if you want to try to fix harddisk take any old bad harddisk and try don't do RND on customers harddisk if you want further assist you can email me or reply on badcap my id laptopservicing"gmail.com

Comment

hi friend first of all mistake can be happen but to rectify them is very important. sometime mistake are payable so now it is depend on you how you convenes the customer one thing you can do is to inform your customer that your hard disk is bad need to replace give him the price tell him new hard disk have one year warranty I will install software for you free of cost and I will try to recover your data what ever I will get it recovery will take 5 to 10 days ? if he really need data he will be ok because he also have no option once he get his laptop fixed he start working on it he will not care of data just keep hard disk a side in box after 5 to 6 days call him and tell him sir we tried your data for 5 days but still not able to recover your hard disk stop working in between so recovery not possible after that he will get relax and you are in safe
                                    second thing he may ask you causes about hdd failure you can say due to temperature heating issue virus problem computer not shutdown properly etc.. third thing is he will ask you how he will get date so Google the data recovery professional near to your location and give him their number. I am also in UAE so I the nature of people

if you want to try to fix harddisk take any old bad harddisk and try don't do RND on customers harddisk if you want further assist you can email me or reply on badcap my id laptopservicing"gmail.com
                                    Last edited by taufeeque ahmed; 05-01-2014, 05:36 AM.

Comment

there are 2 situation: steeel disk scratched: no recover possible.

pcb board damaged: possible in older hard drive to swap with same board.
                                      damaged head: recovery possible only if replace head. lot expensive...

no fisical damage, but only bad sector: recovery possible with the tecnics i have said.

dont google for professional repair store:

they can ask up to 2000€ for head replace. i think noone will spend that money.

Comment

It doesn't seem to me that it's your fault that the hard drive is having problems. Originally it had bad sectors and then your boss pulled the drive, the owner later interfered with the recovery. Don't stress or take the job personally, it's the nature of the repair game that jobs sometimes don't work out to plan.

From experience i know that stopping a hard drive recovery process once started can make the problem worse.

Check this article for recovery of files using Knoppix
                                        http://lifehacker.com/192982/geek-to...with-a-boot-cd

Comment

Working...
                                        X