PS5 HDMI port diode reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS5 HDMI port diode reading?

I did an hdmi port repair for a PS5 and I lost the small diode z71 SOD923 on the back of the port. I did a trace repair for pin 19 of the port as well. Without the diode I get no display at all. I tried replacing the diode twice but after I get flux on it the marking comes off so I can't tell if I have it on the right orientation. When I measure I get a reading of 1(open) and 923 in diode mode. Is 923 a normal reading for these and also which side should the reading be with regards to the arrow on the board?

In Canada easily available... Here is the link.. Check it out... https://www.esourceparts.ca/replacem...oaAlz7EALw_wcB & AliExpress Link https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005004608362256.html

Comment

Originally posted by mferna14 View Post
      In Canada easily available... Here is the link.. Check it out... https://www.esourceparts.ca/replacem...oaAlz7EALw_wcB & AliExpress Link https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005004608362256.html
      I have two diodes but when I solder them the marking comes off very easily, when I get flux on them and they move around. Since I can't see the marking my question was about the polarity like which way should the diode be open or closed etc. I've figured that part out, the cathode and anode readings. My other question was, if that diode is a must.for the hmdi port to display? When I test the diode in circuit, is a diode reading of 0.900v range normal when red probe is on anode and black probe is on cathode? When it is reversed I have OL.

Comment

Kindly check for any short to GND. Check in diode or resistence mode of the multimeter.. WITHOUT THE DIODE SOLDERED... & then inform us. There are so many photos of this diode placement on the web, you will easily know the direction of polarity. Or I might receive tomorrow or one of these days, surely will send you a very close-up photo. 1st is check any shorts to GND...

Comment

The voltage drop of the diode should be more like 0.7v not 0.9something.

Comment

Dear., I am just asking you to leave alone the diode/voltages for now., remove both diode which I think you do not have on the board & then please check the resistance on the pads where the diodes are soldered. I just want to know that resistances readings, NOT THE VOLTAGES... I want to know whether you are dealing with a short before you place in the good diode. One thing I remember when I replaced the 1st HDMI port, 2 pin of this port got soldered accidentally next to the caps RHS near the connector, & when turned on I got NO DISPLAY. I knew something was with the connector, as before, display was present with shake & twice of the connector. Pls. check the pin carefully under the Microscope which I assume you have, Both Hot Air & MS are very important tools to get going & build up a good workshop.

Comment

Yeah about 3 of the legs were not soldered to pads on the board and were moving. I tried putting on the port again but still no signal. I have ordered a hdmi port breakout board and I should get it in a few days. I will test all 19 pins to determine the problem. I have a list of the correct reading for the pins. Photo is the pad I repaired before I cleaned the pads and put on the port. I put another diode on and I am getting a voltage drop of about 0.6v. These ports are made so you don't fix them easily, I guess, my first PS5 has been a hassle. My first attempt at an hdmi was on a PS4 like 2 months ago and that was so much easier.
              Attached Files

Comment

Ok so after I got the breakout board for my hdmi port I got the following readings.

Pins
                1,3,4,6,7,9,10,12, 1.025 voltage drop
                2,5,8,11,17 are all ground
                13 0.813 voltage drop
                14 no connection
                15,16 0.801 voltage drop
                18 0.583 voltage drop
                19 0.827 voltage drop

and continuity reading between pins
                1-2 1025
                4-5 1024
                7-8 1024
                11-12 1024
                17-18 582 voltage drop
                so do I have a bad port? I am also getting a reading on both sides of the small zener diode on the back of the hdmi port I am getting a reading of 0.939 on the anode and 0.583 voltage drop on the cathode. So is the diode bad?

Comment

Measure resistances values NOT VOLTAGEs. You will clearly notice a SHORT to GRND on one of the above components. Install a New HDMI Connector & solder with Soldering iron NOT HOT AIR, I am sure some pins at the back are touching each other. Some people solder with hot air but I do not, as the Grd solder not easy to melt at a low temp. & what happens the HDMI connector plastic starts to melt. Remove the old HDMI port carefully. Now to open up the Grnd. holes, all you have to do is, take the hot air, keep it at 300 ~ 350 C which I do & once solder melts take a sharp stainless steel tweezers or anything stainless steel & poke in the holes. Keep melting the solder till you notice that the New connector can easily be inserted in these Ground holes. Then remove the hot air & later remove the stainless steel tool & you will see the holes open up. & one thing more tin the HDMI pins before as your are going to use a solder iron to solder the pins on the pads. It looks hard but all comes with experience. GOOD LUCK this time & hopefully all will work fine. USE A GOOD AMTECH BGA FLUX (WHITE) & you will see the CLEAN PRO result after the cleanup.

Comment

Use low melt solder and decent solder wick to clear the ground holes, there should be no need to poke at them.

Comment

Originally posted by mferna14 View Post
                      Measure resistances values NOT VOLTAGEs. You will clearly notice a SHORT to GRND on one of the above components. Install a New HDMI Connector & solder with Soldering iron NOT HOT AIR, I am sure some pins at the back are touching each other. Some people solder with hot air but I do not, as the Grd solder not easy to melt at a low temp. & what happens the HDMI connector plastic starts to melt. Remove the old HDMI port carefully. Now to open up the Grnd. holes, all you have to do is, take the hot air, keep it at 300 ~ 350 C which I do & once solder melts take a sharp stainless steel tweezers or anything stainless steel & poke in the holes. Keep melting the solder till you notice that the New connector can easily be inserted in these Ground holes. Then remove the hot air & later remove the stainless steel tool & you will see the holes open up. & one thing more tin the HDMI pins before as your are going to use a solder iron to solder the pins on the pads. It looks hard but all comes with experience. GOOD LUCK this time & hopefully all will work fine. USE A GOOD AMTECH BGA FLUX (WHITE) & you will see the CLEAN PRO result after the cleanup.
                      Thanks I'll try putting another port on. Can you recommend a good soldering iron? The one I have is part of the Quick 8586D+ 2 in 1 station and doesn't get hot enough, even at the max 480 degree Celsius. I don't know if it is the tips or what, tried 2 that came with it. That is why I used the hot air to solder the hdmi port pins. When I tried with the iron the first time, kept bridging the pins, solder wasn't really flowing even with flux.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                        Use low melt solder and decent solder wick to clear the ground holes, there should be no need to poke at them.
                        Low melt solder, flux and wick work best together.Yeah I just got a nice solder sucker that I will try out this time. But I did find a sim tray eject (pin) tool worked best though, you can move it up and down the hole while you give it heat.

Comment

Just use leaded normal solder and all will be fine.... I just replaced a port a short while ago, no problem. I hardly use low melt solder to begin with... and for something like this just plain leaded solder.
                          Last edited by CapLeaker; 02-12-2024, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Finally got it to work after going thru 3 ports, 2 diodes and knocking off the .1uf cap as well. This has probably been the most challenging repair I've done. With the trace repair and everything that can go wrong on an hdmi port repair going wrong. Learned a lot of things on what to do and no to do for the next time. Thanks you all for the tips. Looks a lot easier on YouTube. 😂

Comment

Good Job done!!! Yes YouTube sometimes is really fake. I caught many doing wrong on this platform, but what to, everyone is running for likes & subscribers. But atleast they give a headsup on what to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X