Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte Motherboard

Hi all,

I have an issue with a motherboard and after reading the post here "This is Why You NEVER Ignore Bad Capacitors!" I may need to do a possible repair.

I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev.3.3 running a Core 2 Duo E8600 with a Corsair 800 watt 80 plus PSU.
    And though it's fairly old by standards the system works fine for my purposes.

Last few months the system has been starting with a odd half muted beep then the main POST bios beeps. And once or twice the system has made several attempts in booting. And also one stick of corsair memory has stopped working and needed taking out. The stick does not run alone so cannot run any tests on it. It will not run in my friends similar system so I presume it has fried or something.

Now considering all this and with the supposed long lasting solid caps this board uses. How can I determine if the caps are at fault and if so, how do do I determine which one(s)? And are these caps available to the general public?

Thank you in advance.

Re: Gigabyte Motherboard

If the board has all polymers, then bad capacitors are unlikely to be the problem. Posting a picture of your board here is still strongly encouraged, though (use forum's "Manage Attachements" feature, do not link to off-site hosts).

I suggest you strip the system down to minimum hardware first - i.e. only CPU, RAM, and graphics card (if there in no on-board video only). Disconnect everything else. Even unnecesary cables such as front USB, firewire, etc. Then try some known good RAM (i.e. something that posts in another computer and runs error-free with Memtest).

Also, open the power supply and check the caps in there as well. Again, pictures of the power supply are also welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
      If the board has all polymers, then bad capacitors are unlikely to be the problem. Posting a picture of your board here is still strongly encouraged, though (use forum's "Manage Attachements" feature, do not link to off-site hosts).

I suggest you strip the system down to minimum hardware first - i.e. only CPU, RAM, and graphics card (if there in no on-board video only). Disconnect everything else. Even unnecesary cables such as front USB, firewire, etc. Then try some known good RAM (i.e. something that posts in another computer and runs error-free with Memtest).

Also, open the power supply and check the caps in there as well. Again, pictures of the power supply are also welcome.
      Thanks Momaka. This will take a little longer. So will get the photos done asap.
      The Corsair power supply was only installed after the first few beeping issues, as a friend stated that the original PSU that came with the PC case was cheap and probably running under current and/or voltage. So, because it is still under warranty I would rather not break the seal.

Comment

Yeah, if the Corsair PSU is less than 2 years old, it's probably okay. Plus, since the symptoms didn't chance with the new PSU, then most likely that is not the problem.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's not the capacitors. Gigabyte used polymer Japanese caps back at that time (And not Apaq like they use today).

I've had fauly Corsair memory before, I wouldn't count it out. Which model Corsair PSU do you have? Which videocard do you have?
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
            I'm pretty sure it's not the capacitors. Gigabyte used polymer Japanese caps back at that time (And not Apaq like they use today).

I've had fauly Corsair memory before, I wouldn't count it out. Which model Corsair PSU do you have? Which videocard do you have?
            I'll be working on getting some photos for better identifications of motherboard components.

The other information: Corsair RM750 PSU (i thought it was 800, apologies)
            The Video card is a MSI 7900GS. As I said an old system, but adequate for the needs.
            The RAM is Corsair XMS2 6400 matched pair, one now not working.

Now you mention the corsair memory issue. These pair were added as an upgrade months after initially building of the system. I wonder if these are the cause of the odd beeps?
            Last edited by TheDragon; 01-18-2015, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDragon View Post
              Now you mention the corsair memory issue. These pair were added as an upgrade months after initially building of the system. I wonder if these are the cause of the odd beeps?
              Can't know for sure until you try something else that is known to be tested and good.

I was going through some DDR memory stashes yesterday, and I found a non-working Corsair 1 GB memory stick as well. For all I know, it probably was working fine when given to me a while back.
              Sometimes, you can get a finicky RAM like that running if you lower the frequency. But you can't do that unless you have some good RAM so that you can make your motherboard POST and go in the BIOS to change those settings. So either way, you need some known tested good RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDragon View Post
                The other information: Corsair RM750 PSU (i thought it was 800, apologies)
                Not the greatest PSU. Taicon and LTec capacitors. But because your load is nowhere near 750w, I don't think it's the problem.
                The Video card is a MSI 7900GS. As I said an old system, but adequate for the needs.
                Bingo! I would test with another videocard. nVidia cards of this generation have known issues.
                The RAM is Corsair XMS2 6400 matched pair, one now not working.
                The exact same thing happened to me with a matched DDR2 XMS2 pair. OTOH, I have another pair I bought for dirt cheap running fine in a different computer.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Yup. Either the Graphics card or RAM would be my guess. I've had nothing but trouble with Corsair RAM over the last few years. It got to a point where not one module we got would run stable at its stock settings. We would either increase the voltage or replace it with RAM from another brand (usually Kingston). Otherwise, it would cause random BSoDs.
                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post

Bingo! I would test with another videocard. nVidia cards of this generation have known issues.
                    7-series have a tendency to be FZ'ed!

(I know that at least with eVGA, I haven't spotted any "FZ" cap with an 8-series and later.) (With a possible exception of 8400 and 8600, maybe 8500)

I'm afraid that with a 7-series, even high end versions got FZ caps!
                    Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 01-18-2015, 06:13 PM.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                      (I know that at least with eVGA, I haven't spotted any "FZ" cap with an 8-series and later.) (With a possible exception of 8400 and 8600, maybe 8500)
                      I don't know much about e-VGA and the 8 series, but I can tell you that XFX and a few others definitely still used FZ even on the 8 series. I think the 9 series is where most everyone learned to stay away from them.

Negative.
                      The 7800, 7900, and 7950 all had nothing but polymers (or high quality Japanese capacitors at the very least). It is with the mid-tier cards such as the 7600 that you could find FZ. e-VGA was certainly one of them to use FZ. I'm not sure about XFX, but I think they might have, too, along with PNY. Probably only Saphire and a few others didn't. And, of course, the low-end tier (7300 and 7200) was again manufacturer-dependent, but crappy caps weren't uncommon on those either.

That aside, the 7900 and 7950 did suffered from die-separation (and thus artifacts or "no video" symptom) more than any of the other 7 series. So yeah, the random beeps could be from the 7900 in the OP's PC.

Comment

I have a few BFG 7800 agp cards with no FZ just Japanese polymers.

Comment

[snip]

That depends on the manufacturer of the card and has nothing to do with the GPU used. I don't think MSI was ever stupid enough to put Sacon FZ on any of their video cards - not even low end 7-series. At least I've never seen any MSI cards with FZ caps.

I have seen a Galaxy 7950GT which had them, though (and it only lasted 3 months)
                          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Sorry guys for the late reply. Looks like my PC packed up altogether. Won't boot up at all. Tested power supply and it's fine. I'm putting it down to bad RAM modules, but need time to investigate.

For the moment I will leave this problem the side and just use my laptop.
                            You all mentioned the graphics card. Well, that had all solid capacitors, assume it would not be the issue?

Thanks for the info. A possible future repair, for educational purposes.

Comment

Working...
                            X