Anything worse than GSC???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anything worse than GSC???

Uh oh... HALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
      Yeah, CapXon are quite crappy. But I think they are just more popular than GSC. That said, I don't think there is an XFX GF 8400/8500/8600/9400/9500/9600 or eVGA 6/7 series card with those Sacon FZs that haven't bulged yet.

By the way, GSC/Evercon/Sacon has another new name now: Elcon. Parent company changed names to Samcon. Popular series that go bad are EEL and EEZ. You can find those on XFX GeForce 9 series low and mid-end video cards (i.e. 9400, 9500, 9600... NOT 9800). IIRC, Samcon's website also said they make solid polymers now. Run for your life
      Ohh noooo and ive see aload of failed samcons and elcons on a tv main board before as well
      Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

^ Really? In TVs? I must see a picture of that. Please do show me if you have one. This will open a whole new can of worms for unsuspecting manufacturers and buyers.

Comment

^ Really? In TVs? I must see a picture of that. Please do show me if you have one. This will open a whole new can of worms for unsuspecting manufacturers and buyers.
          There were elcon brand no samcon my mistake I was thinking of samxon I no longer have the tv but it was a 32" tevion that had bad samxon gf on the psu and elcon on the mobo think it was a proview chassis but not 100% sure.
          I recorded a youtube video of the repair of the tv will post the link when I upload it just need to find where I saved it all.
          Last edited by ReeceyBurger123; 06-26-2015, 12:17 PM.
          Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

Comment

Yeah, CapXon are quite crappy. But I think they are just more popular than GSC. That said, I don't think there is an XFX GF 8400/8500/8600/9400/9500/9600 or eVGA 6/7 series card with those Sacon FZs that haven't bulged yet.

By the way, GSC/Evercon/Sacon has another new name now: Elcon. Parent company changed names to Samcon. Popular series that go bad are EEL and EEZ. You can find those on XFX GeForce 9 series low and mid-end video cards (i.e. 9400, 9500, 9600... NOT 9800). IIRC, Samcon's website also said they make solid polymers now. Run for your life

Ahh samcon. My grandfather gave me a 6 year old RCA cheapey 5.1 sound system, that died after about 8 hours of use. When I opened it up it is FULL of Samcon capacitors. One bulged.

Comment

Originally posted by ReeceyBurger123 View Post
              I no longer have the tv but it was a 32" tevion
              That's why you don't buy crap from Aldi.

Contrary to what old people may believe, products sold in Aldi aren't always made in Germany to the highest standards and quality, it's juts a glorified supermarket that happens to sell cheap electronic junk alongside groceries. Cheap, Chinese-made electronic junk.

Samxon are junk too, my 2009 Hisense TV died in mid 2012 due to a bunch of shitty Samxons (GD series). I used a bunch of recycled off-brand "JH" caps in their place, pulled from a 2001-era CRT TV, and the TV has been in daily use ever since without any problems whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post

Contrary to what old people may believe, products sold in Aldi aren't always made in Germany to the highest standards and quality, it's juts a glorified supermarket that happens to sell cheap electronic junk alongside groceries. Cheap, Chinese-made electronic junk.

Samxon are junk too, my 2009 Hisense TV died in mid 2012 due to a bunch of shitty Samxons (GD series). I used a bunch of recycled off-brand "JH" caps in their place, pulled from a 2001-era CRT TV, and the TV has been in daily use ever since without any problems whatsoever.
                Tevion is Vestel I think?

Comment

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post

"JH" is Jianghai (a Chinese brand). Not exactly good quality but if worse comes to worse, you'll just have to replace them again. I agree about Samxon. Too many bad series on their behalf to call them good (GL, GF, GK, and GD and GC are far from impervious to failure). At the very least, their low ESR capacitors simply aren't good. I don't consider them any better than Taicon or even Yageo (Teapo).
                  Last edited by Wester547; 07-02-2015, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                    "JH" is Jianghai (a Chinese brand). Not exactly good quality but if worse comes to worse, you'll just have to replace them again. I agree about Samxon. Too many bad series on their behalf to call them good (GL, GF, GK, and GD and GC are far from impervious to failure). At the very least, their low ESR capacitors simply aren't good. I don't consider them any better than Taicon or even Yageo (Teapo).
                    I call them "Just Horrendous" seen plenty of them failed.

Comment

At least Samxon has a few good series. Can't really say the same about Teapo

Comment

I agree P4 some people say that teapo are semi decent..... they aren't seen plenty of them fail they are junk.

Comment

Yeah. I mean, I understand why OEMs use them, because they usually last past the warranty. But yes they are all replace on sight to me, I don't even trust the little ones. Seen a lot of them fail as well.

Comment

The little Teapo caps (8 mm dia and smaller) are even worse than the big ones. I just opened a bag of used Teapo SC 1000 uF, 6.3 V that I pulled from various P4SD motherboards (for those temporary "repairs"/tests), and found one cap bulging and almost leaking. I am pretty sure it wasn't like that when I put it in that bag, and IIRC some appeared fine on an ESR meter last I checked.
                            Sigh... cheapo Teapo .

Comment

The little Teapo caps (8 mm dia and smaller) are even worse than the big ones. I just opened a bag of used Teapo SC 1000 uF, 6.3 V that I pulled from various P4SD motherboards (for those temporary "repairs"/tests), and found one cap bulging and almost leaking. I am pretty sure it wasn't like that when I put it in that bag, and IIRC some appeared fine on an ESR meter last I checked.
                              Sigh... cheapo Teapo .
                              IMO, they're all equally egregious, it just so happens that many of them are notorious for failing without showing it. See here:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...86&postcount=1

An unused 10x20 2200uF 10V Teapo SC bulged just by sitting there for 6.5 years. My guess is that they fail without showing it so often because of the quality of the cans. Microscopic cracks in the cans probably cause the electrolyte to dry out much faster. Of course the fact that they use questionable raw materials otherwise doesn't help.

Some appeared fine on the ESR meter? What does that mean? Do these measure 8x11? Were they around 0.1 ohms or lower, or a bit higher?

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                                Some appeared fine on the ESR meter? What does that mean? Do these measure 8x11? Were they around 0.1 ohms or lower, or a bit higher?
                                It was over 3 years ago when I checked (when I borrowed an ESR meter from a friend), so I don't remember what reading I got. All I remember was that I pulled the datasheet and compared, and they were in spec. And yes, they are all 8x11.

Comment

Working...
                                X