Sony x930D , half screen grey bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony x930D , half screen grey bars

Half the screen is grey bars, looks like a greyscale color test. After a while the backlight in that region goes down and it almost becomes black, I'm guessing because the other side is a black screen.

That side works just fine. The bars are evenly spaced, no irregularity.

Think this can be fixed? Loose connection or bad t-con? I'm worried it could be the panel yet I dont know what a panel failure truly looks like.

Re: Sony x930D , half screen grey bars

If you could take a picture of the screen when it is malfunctioning, it would help us understand what you are describing.

Comment

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hoi7nu2xxf...08.08.png?dl=0

Depending on whats on the screen, the colors will change.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick's Tvs View Post
        If you could take a picture of the screen when it is malfunctioning, it would help us understand what you are describing.
        Does that look like one of the top ribbon cables is messed up or the connection going to that whole side from the t-con?

Thanks

Comment

Upon looking very closely, I can see a row after row of very faint horizontal lines as well. Almost missed them.

Does this signify its a bad panel? Or could it be one of the boards?

Comment

Well easy stuff first,
            clean the ribbon cables of tcon with isopropyl alcohol and reseat and make sure the lvds cable from mainboard to tcon is clean and secure.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
              Well easy stuff first,
              clean the ribbon cables of tcon with isopropyl alcohol and reseat and make sure the lvds cable from mainboard to tcon is clean and secure.
              Does that problem there I have, look like something that is caused by that. Now all the bars are grey, so they have changed color a bit. The T-CON board is under the mainboard, so its going to be a bit of a process for me.

I mean, I dont know what a bad panel looks like, does it fail in this manner or some other way usually?

Comment

It's strange with tvs, you can't always, I should say very seldom tell what's exactly wrong just by what is displayed, I've seen them look like it was for sure a bad panel but a new tcon was the fix and vice versa, you have one of those where the tcon is tougher to get to but you may need to access it for testing.

Comment

Examples of bad panels: https://www.google.com/search?q=faul...=firefox-b-1-d

Comment

Examples of bad tcons, as you can see it's not easy to tell the difference: https://www.google.com/search?q=faul...=firefox-b-1-d

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpp14G-c9Yo

That looks like excactly whats happening right now. Only at one point the bars were different colors, now they are all grey like that.

Only in my case its a much larger tv and a Sony.

Comment

To check for that you need to partial disassemble down to those tabs and use slight pressure like he's doing, those are faulty tab bond/s, no easy fix for those but some have good luck with "shimming" a lot of videos on youtube on that process. That's another fault that is hard to distinguish from the others mentioned, just by looking at the display.
                        Last edited by nomoresonys; 07-21-2020, 01:25 PM.

Comment

I guess its all worth a try. It's just it can be anything from t con to motherboard to bad panel, its hard to isolate where the issue could be coming from.

its a 65 inch screen, really thin, something tells me getting that frame off is going to be a challenge.

Comment

Yep, seems the bigger the panel the more flimsy and easy to break they are, I like to start with the voltage testing number 3 below to try to get some kind of info on what to do next.

Comment

See if there's any videos on youtube of backlight replacement for your model, not that you probably need backlights but because they tear the whole tv apart to get to them so you can see the whole process of how they tear them down.

Comment

Going to try and go as low tech as possible here. I'm not an electronics guru, and I dont want to get a capacitor shock. I know its not like a CRT but still, want to avoid it if I can.

Just probing with my multimeter I'm scared I'll short something. So I want to be extra cautious

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                                  See if there's any videos on youtube of backlight replacement for your model, not that you probably need backlights but because they tear the whole tv apart to get to them so you can see the whole process of how they tear them down.
                                  Hardly no videos on youtube at all about this model, not sure if thats a good thing or bad thing. I mean it was one of their better tv's from 2016

Comment

You are right to be cautious, there's DEADLY voltages on the HOT/PRIMARY side of the powerboard.

Comment

what do you mean deadly? It's still fairly low amp right? When turned off that is.

But yeah, definitely don't want to mess around with the power board much.

Comment

The main filter caps in the hot side can have up to 400VDC on them, so when you get to the power board after unplugging the TV from the outlet, you should check the Voltage on the caps to see how much it is discharged the Voltage down to, <20V will be OK, but when you have to make the Voltage measurement in the cold side of the circuits you have to make sure not to touch anything, I.E. heatsink, in the hot side with your hands or body. You should at least plug the TV into GFCI outlet to protect yourself.
                                        Never stop learning
                                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Working...
                                        X