Sony KDL-50w829b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sony KDL-50w829b

The set belonged to a work colleague he said it had been stored in his bedroom for a few months now as he bought a replacement set when this went faulty, He said he turned it off one night and the next day when he switched it on all he got was this black screen i asked had any one looked at it he said no he said after a few phone calls to Sony and it being out of warranty the cost for repair was to much.
    So he bought a new tv.
    Here are a couple of pictures along the bottom of the set from the front you can clearly see the tabs are behind the screen.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi budwich
      Did you have a look at the pictures ?
      As you can see the lcd panel would need to be removed to inspect the tabs on panel side, but saying that as the tabs are fixed on the back of the panel hopefully would mean less chance of water damage due to screen being cleaned ? do you agree.

Comment

its hard to see clearly the bonding area near the panel edge. The problem that you show in previous pictures with vertical lines near the far side is potentially caused by issues with the tabs at the very end of the panel.

I guess I have exhausted my experience with this model.

Another thing with respect to the pictures of the display with one side disconnected... the side that is disconnected should be uniformly white. In your picture, it shows a vertical band which is not white.... that potentially is an area (tab) that has a problem.

Pictures of the display are somewhat washed out... can't tell if that is the photography or the display. If its the display, that could mean an issue with the tcon since a "good tcon" with one side disconnect should produce a picture on the remaining side that is "perfect" in terms of color and brightness.
        Last edited by budwich; 01-30-2018, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Thank you
          I will leave until the week end now as on nights this week.
          I will then try another t-con board and test some of the components on the boards.

Comment

Hi All
            Could some one tell me are the two boards connected via the glued ribbons to the LCD panel called driver boards ?
            And could some one point me in the right direction as to where i could download the full schematics for this set.
            Any help would be much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by ronhayes View Post
              Hi All
              Could some one tell me are the two boards connected via the glued ribbons to the LCD panel called driver boards ?
              And could some one point me in the right direction as to where i could download the full schematics for this set.
              Any help would be much appreciated.
              maybe be this manual may help ron?
              Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Vince
                I have seen that one but it is a bit vague to say the least does not seem to show all the boards and component lay out properly. Unless i am not looking properly !!
                Can't see t-con or the lcd boards or their lay out ?

Comment

Originally posted by ronhayes View Post
                  Thank you Vince
                  I have seen that one but it is a bit vague to say the least does not seem to show all the boards and component lay out properly. Unless i am not looking properly !!
                  Can't see t-con or the lcd boards or their lay out ?
                  sorry ron i didn't open the pdf, i have just had a search online and cant find a service manual for this model.

Comment

That is the service manual but the Sony way. Enough for them to determine which board is faulty, not their job to help the end user do component level repair.

Comment

your lcd tester should of ruled out a mainboard issue, so that narrows it down to the tcon or the actual panel at fault yes buying secondhand parts is hit or miss if they work or have the same issue as yours already has, maybe worth trying one more tcon if that still produces a black screen my guess would be a bad lcd panel.

Comment

Hi Ron,

Here's the service manual. https://www.manualslib.com/download/...l-32w700b.html (it's for numerous models inc the 50w829b). I'm working on a similar problem at the moment with the same TV.

Comment

Originally posted by edless View Post
                          Hi Ron,

Here's the service manual. https://www.manualslib.com/download/...l-32w700b.html (it's for numerous models inc the 50w829b). I'm working on a similar problem at the moment with the same TV.
                          This is the same manual i have posted a few posts above, its a pity sony don't publish schematics like some other manufacturers do.

Comment

Hi Ed
                            Yes this is the same as what Vince posted.
                            I also have tested all the chip resisters and caps and the two transistors on the lcd tab boards and all seem to check fine.
                            Now the only thing would be left to try would be a genuine new t-con board as i have now tried two second hand t-cons with no results can't really trust second hand.
                            But i expect that would be pricy for a new replacement t-con board!! It's a pity they haven't developed a tester that you could connect different t-con boards to and display if they are good or bad ?
                            Like Vince said if not the t-con then it looks like a bad panel.
                            I have come across a few of these Sony smart TV's just recently ranging from 40" to 55" and all seem to suffer from lcd panel failure and all below 5yrs old it seems to me that Sony must be aware of this issue but failing to post any remedies or help for their products. (very poor practice ) This will surely come back and bite them.
                            Sorry i can't offer any more help but i am still in the same state as your self accept mine is now failing to display any picture what so ever with or with out ribbons connected.
                            I am now resolved to panel failure if you have any progress please keep me posted.

Comment

My difference is that I can get half of the display to work perfectly with just the right side connected (as you view the screen). I don't think its worth me pursuing it any further. I might order a cheap TCON board from asia as a last ditch attempt but it is probably futile.

I am curious whether I could get a longer tcon cable to see whether one side of the tcon could drive the opposite side but I guess that might be a design issue anyway and cause even more issues.

Comment

that won't work.

Comment

You could try scotch tape along the pins try a little at a time from the outer pin to the inner pin cover up the bad spot for say to see if you get a picture on the other side.

Do not move the tcon over in plug the opposite cable in you will fry your panel and your tcon!
                                  Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Did u resolve the issue with this tv ?

Comment

Just got one of these sets for repair
                                      Symptons black screen with no picture
                                      Backlight is ok no gamma voltages showing until I unplug the left tcon ribbon where one side of the screen is good but the other side has a washed out white image
                                      Ended up taping up a certain amount of the tcon ribbon and now the picture works but with gamma issues
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Problem on the panel driver board?

Comment

I've stripped the panel down but couldn't find anything
                                          So this was a last resort but looks like a panel issue

Comment

Working...
                                          X