Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic TH-37PD25 Screen Flicker

Fellas...

This is a bit of a sentimental problem for me. I personally bought this TV over ten years ago, for an incredible $2,400. It was my first major tv purchase, made at Sound Advice. State of the art stuff at the time, boasting a shocking 480p ED panel. heh.

I've used it alot all these years, tho 2 years ago I got married, moved out, and left it in my old bedroom as a guest tv for my mom. I always liked seeing it up there on the wall and would get nostalgic admiring it and it's blackie blacks.

Anyway enough of that.

Over the Christmas holiday my sister came into town as they always do, and the TV started with this:

http://youtu.be/Nnbq1IY4TSc

The OSD is fine. Sound is good. PC input is also good. All other inputs are like this on video, including video 3 on the front panel.

I found an input board on the bay for 14 dollars. Figured I'd start there since the PC input was fine. No dice, the same. Then went for main board (which I changed once about 8 years ago after a lightning strike) and still no good.

From my little knowledge, it seems like a textbook main board. But the new used one (dustier than all hell) didn't work. Maybe it's bad too? (altho the patterns on the screen look identical between the 2 boards) Shall I return it and try another?

What say ye?

And yes before you say it, I realize the tv is probably worth only 75 bucks or so. This is beyond monetary.

Got some pics too. They don't make 'em like this anymore! Also have the Service manual but can't put it up. There's an error on upload, maybe too large.

Thanks, all!
    Attached Files
    Successfully Saved Various TV's and Monitors from the Landfill:
    Acer AL2423W (Fixed in 2010, Still in use today), Panasonic TH-37PD25 (Twice), Panasonic TC-P55GT30 ($100 CL Score), JVC 27" LCD Television
    Repair Equipment: Fluke 88V, Hakko 936
    Skills: Measure/solder at component level. Light IC replacements (Chip Quik)

Re: Panasonic TH-37PD25 Screen Flicker

Somewhere in all of that should be a logic/control board. That may be causing the problem.

Comment

Looking in there I see the DG board, TNPA3177. I think that's the guy.

The other board I changed was the PF board. Labeled as "Line Filter" in the service manual. It's on top of the DG and carries the Cable Card slot, antenna A and B inputs, and digital optical out.

Pic of DG board below. This seems to be the main logic board. Manual labels it as "DIGTAL CORE MICOM" Heh. Little lost in translation there.
      Attached Files
      Acer AL2423W (Fixed in 2010, Still in use today), Panasonic TH-37PD25 (Twice), Panasonic TC-P55GT30 ($100 CL Score), JVC 27" LCD Television

Comment

Here's page 8 of the manual showing board layouts and their descriptions.

DG seems to be the one to be after.
        Attached Files

Comment

Can anyone verify if the main logic board is the D or the DG board?

The D board is labeled as "DIGTAL SIGINAL PROCESS" TNPA2825
          The DG Board is labeled as "DIGTAL CORE MICOM" TNPA3177

The D board is much cheaper than the DG. So I'd like any confirmation that DG is the right one if anyone knows for sure.

Thanks! Pics attached.
          Attached Files

Comment

I believe that board does handle the OSD (older Panasonic kept the two separate and combined at the D board) so it might be the fault.
            Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
            For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Ooo Tom is here, I am saved.

So which one do you think needs replacing being the OSD works perfectly?

Service manual isn't clear on what board handles what.

Comment

Second one. Should connect to panel drivers on bottom too.
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Second picture is D board and is physically at the top of the unit.

First picture is DG board and is at the bottom and does seemingly connect to the panel drivers.

So still think it's the D board way up there? (See the pdf a few posts up)

Comment

I think it's the D board. I am not 100% certain though.

Comment

Will it help if I upload the block diagrams for each board? I can't upload the whole manual but I can snip out the diagrams for each and upload that.

Comment

Found a service manual and tried to upload, but I get error as well

Last edited by Neelix; 01-22-2015, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Here's the manual on my dropbox:

OOPS hey Neelix thanks for the upload, I didn't see your edited post when I posted my link.
                          Last edited by CleanSC; 01-22-2015, 12:55 PM.

Comment

So anybody have any more answers looking at the manual? Thanks, fellas!

Comment

TNPA2825 as Tom indicated I also think this board is the problem.

Comment

Awesome, thanks gentlemen. I will order the D board and report back.

Comment

Well, bad news unfortunately.

The D board wasn't the problem. Unless the 'bay one I got has the exact same problem. Symptoms are identical.

What do we think? Get a DG board now?

Thanks, all.

Comment

Ok I got a DG board and put it in. It now works and shows a picture.

BUT.

The OSD is now very low resolution. Everything looks terrible on the screen. Even thru HDMI.

The listing said it came from the 42" version of this tv but is also says it's a match for my 37" version.

I might need to return this one and try another.

I will contact the seller and see what they will do.

Comment

Sounds like u have eeprom problem between 42" and 37". On the picture u display above indicates a corrupt eeprom , Did some Satellite h***ing in my days and saw the same type of screen display when the eeprom is corrupt ,
                                      Either you get the correct DG board for 37" or replace the eeprom .

Some of the more advance guys can here can better help u out concerning the eeprom and good luck .

Comment

Thanks man. I have a question in to the seller still waiting to see what he says.

If anything I return this board and find another.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                                        X