Sony KDL-40V4100 inverted picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sony KDL-40V4100 inverted picture

@kevinm34232, so where did you get the IC from?
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Got them from China on ebay. There are several versions including AS15-F, G, U, AS19-HG. I just keep a few of each around now..

Comment

I guess I will have to order it. It will take a while to get here.
        Do you think that the end letter matters?

Comment

I think I had one of these IC issues a few weeks ago, your ambitious tibi to want to change it yourself as those have a lot of pins on the IC. I hope it works though. If the replacement tcon is cheap ($20) I think its far easier just to swap it out and mentally block out the fact the person buying it has probably the same soon to fail IC on the replacement tcon.
          Fixed so far 12 lcd's , 1 plasmas, 5 monitors, 0 dlp's (plan to keep the dlps at 0). and 3 atx power supplies, and 2 motherboards.

Comment

I want to learn too and I have the equipment, so why not?
            I actually wanted to replace plasma y buffer board chips also, I still have a bunch of those chips(for Philips), but I messed them up by removing them and I have just quit and purchased other boards. This though it seems much easier then that.
            Now I have a hot air station, back then I didn't.
            The replacement board will have the same faith.

Comment

Anybody knows how to use this Sony service menu? Maybe Tom is right and it's only a setting issue.
              I have placed the order for two chips($4.29 both), they are on Ebay.
              Mine it was the F type chip.

Comment

I currently have a Polaroid TV that looked EXACTLY like the original poster's pictures. A new main board fixed it.

In my opinion, the pictures that tibimakai posted and the pictures that kevin posted look like two different faults. The colors in tibimakai's pictures are vivid, while the colors in kevin's are washed out and hazy.

Could just be my eyes.

Comment

What is going on lately, on all the latest repairs I'm just changing mainboards.
                  Good old days, when only capacitors needed replacing and maybe some VDOs.

Comment

I share John's opinion. Main board swap would probably fix it, but there's got to be a way to change the panel setting from the service manual.

N.B. I have only ever swapped one main board out of 50+ TVs (and it still didn't fix the problem.)
                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Well Tom you have almost always been right by me, but whenever I see a pic like that now and the T-Con uses that gamma IC I usually assume that's what it is. I've also seen it cause a bright black and white image. Interested to see what the result is.

Is there a way using a scope to determine if the main board is at fault?

Tibimakai, here's how I replace that chip and others, which has become fairly easy after some practice:

Use ChipQuik (http://www.chipquikinc.com/) to remove the old chip. Just flux the pins and put some of their solder over it and it will come right off. Note: I had a AS19-HG that had solder under the chip body and I wound up damaging the board since I didn't have a hot air station at the time.

Clean up the board with solder wick, flux, alcohol and Q-Tips so it looks like new again.

Put plenty of paste flux on the pads and align the new chip very carefully. Tin your iron, hold the chip down with tweezers and solder the corner pins to keep it in place. Then go and carefully hit the rest..

They have a great video on their website too.. I found using the 1/32" or 0.8mm chisel tip point works good for soldering this size chip, and the 1/16" larger tip is better for removing the chip and most other jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinm34232 View Post
                        This is a Samsung I just picked up yesterday, suspecting the AS15-F chip. I had one before that had similar problem but was just a loose LVDS cable. Does this look similar to yours or no?
                        Reminds me of a wallpaper in Windows 2000 and earlier with the generic VGA driver, LOL.
                        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Thanks Kevin, I have chipquick, but I think that I will use hot air station for removing and re-soldering too.
                          I will wait for the chip to arrive and if the chip won't fix it, then I will get a mainboard.
                          I will let you all know about the result.
                          Lately I'm not getting the Email notifications. I have it set for instant Email notification and I'm not getting them.

Comment

It's possible that the previous owner may have replaced the mainboard with the wrong part number?
                            He said that a technician told him, that the mainboard it's bad. My guess is that he went ahead and ordered a board and he installed it.
                            Then he realized that it's still not fixed, so he just sold it.
                            I see that there are different boards out there. Some of these models were shipped with AUO displays and some with Samsung displays.
                            They go by TV serial numbers. Part numbers are not on the board.
                            It's also missing a shield from the HDMI ports.
                            I have ordered the right board($81). I will let you know what happened.
                            Another mainboard Tom!
                            Last week a 32" Samsung got one, now this Sony, the 46" Samsung needs one, a while back another 46A550 needed one, most likely that 40" Sharp led that we couldn't fix needs one.
                            Last edited by tibimakai; 05-08-2013, 01:12 AM.

Comment

So, you decided not to wait anyway? Because I'm not 100% certain it isn't that chip. I just think it's unlikely.
                              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I had this scenario in front of me and I think that I'm right.
                                If not I will re-sell it on Ebay.
                                I have lost another board for the 46" LED Samsung and I didn't want to lose this one too. There are not to many boards for this TV out there.

Comment

Hmm well I have had the same scenario with a Toshiba, and Tom guessed it was the wrong main board for that TV and it turned out to be right so maybe I was quick to think it was the AS15 chip because of how many Ive seen go bad lately..

Comment

It's not a guess. OK, it is. But I'm looking at the sharp colour transitions. It's just like a bit of the data is missing or being decoded wrong, whereas with the AS15 failure, the colouring fades slowly not suddenly.

Comment

"New" mainboard shows exactly the same as the original. Now this one is bad too, which I think that is unlikely, or it has the chip issue.

Comment

How confident are you that you matched the right mainboard for the right panel type? It might be a service menu option to select which panel as I am sure you know.

Does this model have a USB port? have you tried reflashing with new bios / firmware?
                                        Fixed so far 12 lcd's , 1 plasmas, 5 monitors, 0 dlp's (plan to keep the dlps at 0). and 3 atx power supplies, and 2 motherboards.

Comment

I can't figure out how to use the service menu, is not that nice looking as the Samsung one.
                                          I haven't tried flashing it yet.
                                          I have looked it up on shopjimmy, matched up the panel and serial number of the TV.
                                          With the firmware, there is a slight issue.
                                          If I punch in the TV's serial number, it will tell me that there is no firmware update for my TV. So I don't have a firmware file to flash the board.
                                          Last time I have switched two numbers in the serial number and then, it let me to download a firmware file.

Comment

Working...
                                          X