Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

52PFL5704D/F7 dead except for click when power cord attached...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

52PFL5704D/F7 dead except for click when power cord attached...

Hello,
    First thing, thanks for any help you can give. I have a Philips 52PFL5704D/F7 that clicks when the power cord is plugged in and has no other indication of power getting to the unit (no LEDs, etc.). The set is about 2 years old, has not led a hard life (only on 5 or 6 hours a day) and just did not power up one day. The manual ON/OFF switch does not do anything and the remote does not also. I downloaded what appears to be the relevant the service manual from the Elektrotanya.com site (It shows 52PFL3704d, but the boards in their pictures look identical to me…). Got the back off and I do not see anything out of order. All the caps look pristine, as do the chips. The SM says to check the 3.3V from the power supply at various points ending up at Pin 1 of the 1101 connector, which I did and it reads 3.4+ volts. Almost looks like the 3.3V is running unloaded. The SM says to replace the SSB if the 3.3V is there, the 3.3V is on the IR module, the ON/OFF switch is good and the set does not power up. As more info, I checked the various voltages at the power supply and they are all in the millivolt range except for the 12V supplies which are about .6 V. I have included pics of the boards including close-ups of the labeling of the boards and the set itself.

Any thoughts? Do you think it really is the SSB and what is the worst case $$ to replace that? (It has a BIG FPGA on there and there is no way in heck I could replace that!! Discrete parts, yes….)

Later,
    Mel D.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mel D.; 04-15-2012, 12:45 PM.

Re: 52PFL5704D/F7 dead except for click when power cord attached...

Hi - Nice intro and good try with the pics. They are not really detailed enough when enlarged we cannot see clear enough - the ones of the boards need to be as near to 2mb as you can get and one of the total layout of the back of the set would be good.
    Please can you post the link to the service manual so we can all look at the same one.
    What is SSB - first time please put in full.

EDIT
    Remembered - small signal board - not many people on here use that term.
    Last edited by selldoor; 04-15-2012, 01:15 PM.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

One more time!

The link to the SM is here: http://elektrotanya.com/?q=showresul...oria=&kat2=all
      Attached Files

Comment

When you plug it in you should test the DC voltages on 3.3, 12v and psOn. You want to have the black probe to a peice of metal on the frame of the tv or a screw that is holding the board down.

You said you get 3.4 (that is perfectly fine, they almost never are 3.33000 or something perfect.

psOn should be 0v till you press the power button, then tell use what voltage you see when the power button is pressed.

And remeasure 12v if you werent using the right ground the first time.

You might also want to attach a closer picture of the black power wires leaving the power supply, as i can barely read what the labels are.
        Fixed so far 12 lcd's , 1 plasmas, 5 monitors, 0 dlp's (plan to keep the dlps at 0). and 3 atx power supplies, and 2 motherboards.

Comment

Pictures are great - thankyou- labelling is particularly small. At some point you will have to take the boards off the frame and do similar pics of the backs of the board.
          That time could be soon. I think you have tested the glass fuse although as you have voltage it must be ok. However there is a small red box at the left hand side of the heatsink with 9 holes. This is another fuse and should be tested.
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

Re-checked the 12V. They are indeed .6V with reference to the metal chassis structure. PSON is 0.0V and stays that way even when the power button is pushed. Took a pic of the board and the black wires. Getting the power supply board off to see the back side and check the red fuse will have to be tomorrow evening. 0500 comes early after a day of honey-dos....

Thanks,
            Mel D.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Mel D.; 04-15-2012, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Did you check the connections to your IR board or Button board if so I will say that your main board is likely the culprit in this case but because if the main board is junk the standby power does not turn on when the processor goes on this unit I dunno what it is for sure but just from my own findings it appears I would go with the main board.
              Please note: I am not responsible for any harm caused to you anything discussed is just discussion. Before you try anything discussed be sure that you have the appropriate knowledge and safety gear for the job. Like with anything education and safety are first! Do not try anything @ home without it.

Comment

Here is the service for this chassis PL9.1:

I would like to see the closed up pictures of the connectors on the power supply board so I can see how they are labeled.
                Last edited by budm; 04-15-2012, 09:45 PM.
                Never stop learning
                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I have re done connectors pic and added in the other two connectors
                  from a pic of this board on a website.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Those orange bead/cylinder objects on your second last photo - they are fuses. Check both with your multimeter on the 200 ohm range. With power unplugged, measure from one side to the other. You should see close to zero. When your meter probes are not touching, it will probably show a single "1"; this does not indicate 1 ohm but a resistance in excess of 200 ohms.
                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Originally posted by infringer View Post
                      Did you check the connections to your IR board or Button board if so I will say that your main board is likely the culprit in this case but because if the main board is junk the standby power does not turn on when the processor goes on this unit I dunno what it is for sure but just from my own findings it appears I would go with the main board.
                      Yes I did. The voltages were as called out in the SM.....

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                        Those orange bead/cylinder objects on your second last photo - they are fuses. Check both with your multimeter on the 200 ohm range. With power unplugged, measure from one side to the other. You should see close to zero. When your meter probes are not touching, it will probably show a single "1"; this does not indicate 1 ohm but a resistance in excess of 200 ohms.
                        Both show close to zero. Time to pull the board off and measure the red fuse....

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                          Here is the service for this chassis PL9.1:

I would like to see the closed up pictures of the connectors on the power supply board so I can see how they are labeled.
                          Thanks!!!!

Comment

Interesting contradiction here. The PL9 schematic posted above shows that it applies to the 52PFL5704D/F7, but the photos, cable designators and the troubleshooting info does not match. The one noted as applying to the 3704 appears to be a much better match.

In any case, I did get some pictures of the underside of teh power supply board, not very good ones I am afraid. The green is playing heck with my autofocus and I can't seem to do much better in manual focus. Just not enough light. I will play with putting a couple of desk lamps on the board later tonight. I will also take the SSB loose and get some pics of it. I did check the red box part and it shows zero ohms.

Sounds like I might be in for a SSB replacement....

Comment

Just to be certain - when you measure fuses and you say close to zero ohms is that the same as you get when you touch the probes together.

Comment

Yes. No difference in reading. (Darn digital meter. I miss my Simpson 260....)

thank you,
                                Mel D.

Comment

Originally posted by Mel D. View Post
                                  Yes. No difference in reading. (Darn digital meter. I miss my Simpson 260....)
                                  On ebay, the prices for Simpson 260s seem to be lower than what they should be? You can get working ones in the mid $20 range.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Simpson-Mete...00000007543567
                                  Last edited by retiredcaps; 04-19-2012, 04:22 PM.
                                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                    On ebay, the prices for Simpson 260s seem to be lower than what they should be? You can get working ones in the mid $20 range.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Simpson-Mete...00000007543567
                                    Excellent! Time to go prowling Ebay!

THANKS,

Mel D.

Comment

Originally posted by Mel D. View Post
                                      Excellent! Time to go prowling Ebay!

THANKS,

Mel D.
                                      $21.50 with 28 minutes left to go ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221000517827

I can't vouch for seller or that it will work.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Went over to a friends house and missed it. But it turns out he knows somebody that has one......

thx,
                                        Mel D.

Comment

Working...
                                        X