• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Antec TruePower380 & the Fuhjyyu Syndrome

dunno how i lived without a soldering iron either
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Though 11.88v is only 1% off spec, how do I get it to be 12v if there are no pots I can adjust?
      Chances are, if you adjust the +5V higher, the +12V will increase as well. But I'd leave it alone. I think the low end of the ATX spec is either 11.75V or 11.60V. Either way, your P/S is fine.
      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

There are no pots at all, I can't adjust anything... or can I?

Comment

Leave it alone - the slightly lower +12v line will result in lower power dissipation in the linear regulators in HDs, CDROMs, etc. and may prolong their life a little bit.

Comment

So far I have noticed that my power supply seems cooler. Normally, when I would run folding@home or some cpu intensive program, my case would heat up quite noticeabley, especially around the power supply. So far, it seems to be much cooler. Does this make sense? (I didn't mess with the fans or anything either)

Comment

P = (I^2)x(R). Plug a cap's ESR into that equation as "(R)" and you can see the relationship between a cap's ESR and the heat it generates. If a cap is deteriorating, with an elevated ESR, and the ripple current is the same, then the heat it generates is also increasing. OTOH, if your new caps have a lower ESR than the old ones did, even when healthy, then you increased your P/S's efficiency and decreased its heat output from what it was when it was new.
              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Thats what I thought, thanks!

Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                P = (I^2)x(R). Plug a cap's ESR into that equation as "(R)" and you can see the relationship between a cap's ESR and the heat it generates. If a cap is deteriorating, with an elevated ESR, and the ripple current is the same, then the heat it generates is also increasing. OTOH, if your new caps have a lower ESR than the old ones did, even when healthy, then you increased your P/S's efficiency and decreased its heat output from what it was when it was new.

Comment

Well, I'm recapping one with the Fujhyyu syndrome.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=495380

Replacements for the crap inside (bought a few extra for tests) :

1. 565-1535-ND CAP 3300UF 16V ELECT KY RAD 0.50800 $5.08
                  2. 565-2954-ND CAP 820UF 200V ELECT KMQ SNAP 3.99000 $11.97
                  3. 565-1328-ND CAP .10UF 50V ELECT KMG RAD 0.22000 $1.10
                  4. 565-1702-ND CAP 10UF 50V ELECT KZE RAD 0.27000 $1.35
                  5. 565-1332-ND CAP 1.0UF 50V ELECT KMG RAD 0.27000 $1.35
                  6. P12735-ND CAP 3300UF 10V ELECT FM RADIAL 0.95000 $5.70
                  7. P12366-ND CAP 1000UF 16V ELECT FM RADIAL 0.59000 $2.95
                  8. P11733-ND CAP 820UF 200V ELECT TS-HC 3.94000 $7.88
                  Last edited by Super Nade; 01-15-2007, 05:37 PM.
                  Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
                  Zippy GSM-6600P
                  Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
                  Abit IP35Pro
                  ATi HD4870

Comment

to sum up all that math mumbojumbo crap. capacitors should NEVER get hot. if they run warm or hot, and its not from a nearby heatsink, something is seriously wrong. so keep that in mind. :-)

Comment

yeah but its the mosfets that are generating the heat, and they are what are cooler... same is true on a mobo...

Comment

Originally posted by Super Nade
                        Well, I'm recapping one with the Fujhyyu syndrome.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=495380

Replacements for the crap inside (bought a few extra for tests) :

1. 565-1535-ND CAP 3300UF 16V ELECT KY RAD 0.50800 $5.08
                        2. 565-2954-ND CAP 820UF 200V ELECT KMQ SNAP 3.99000 $11.97
                        3. 565-1328-ND CAP .10UF 50V ELECT KMG RAD 0.22000 $1.10
                        4. 565-1702-ND CAP 10UF 50V ELECT KZE RAD 0.27000 $1.35
                        5. 565-1332-ND CAP 1.0UF 50V ELECT KMG RAD 0.27000 $1.35
                        6. P12735-ND CAP 3300UF 10V ELECT FM RADIAL 0.95000 $5.70
                        7. P12366-ND CAP 1000UF 16V ELECT FM RADIAL 0.59000 $2.95
                        8. P11733-ND CAP 820UF 200V ELECT TS-HC 3.94000 $7.88
                        Becare the size is fit or not.
                        My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

Yes, finding the right size was a pain. I had to remove a few caps, use my vernier and measure diameter, height and lead-spacing. Luckily, these seem to match up rather well!
                          Q6700 @ 3.6 GHz
                          Zippy GSM-6600P
                          Curcial Ballistix PC6400 (4 x 1Gb) Micron D9GMH
                          Abit IP35Pro
                          ATi HD4870

Comment

Has the design of this PSU changed a fair bit? - the TruePower 380 I'm looking at re-capping will only take up to a 30mm tall capacitor on the primary side due to what I'm guessing is the PFC circuit mounted above it (35mm may be possible by putting an extra few washers in either end of the hex standoffs) - those P11733-ND's at 45mm definately wouldn't fit mine

I have the bad luck to have Fuhjyyu as my Primary Caps as well as everywhere else - 470uF 200V 25mm tall - they look and feel fine at the moment (unlike the secondary's that are definately domed) so I'm not sure if I should be worried about those. If I were to replace these should I be looking for direct replacements or should I look for something a little larger?

It's unlikely that I'll be using this PSU again much myself, most likely it'll be kept as a spare or sold off with some other spare parts as a basic PC for someone - either way it shouldn't see any heavy action but currently it's a little too unstable on the rails for either of those uses.

Great forums by the way - really helpful and hopefully have made the big brands sit up and take note

Comment

Originally posted by rich99million
                              Has the design of this PSU changed a fair bit?
                              Not very much - there were APFC and no PFC versions. Other than that, they were revised at one point for higher 12v capability.

Comment

I thought I'd update on how the Samxon caps have gone in my Antec 380w I recapped back in ~Dec 2006.

Its been around 1year 3months and its still going strong; still the same solid rails.

On that note I've recently had a separately purchased 6month old Antec 380w pop a motherboard; no caps were leaking and no visible damage inside the psu. It simply decided to over volt on the 12 and 5v rail of which blew holes in a few chips of the motherboard and killed a hard drive.
                                Say no to Fuhjyyu!

Comment

I know this thread hasn't seen a new post in 3 years but I thought I would add my threepence worth (apologies to those non UK or british colonial descendents)

I built my pc back around 2006 using an Antec desktop case, Antec Truepower 380 PSU with an ABIT AA8 Duramax 3rd Eye motherboard (with LGA775 P4 3GHz CPU). and it has generally performed flawlessly (apart from a few minor problems such as replacing a noisy north bridge chip fan and graphics card cooler fan).

Last week I found that when trying to shut down there was a short hesitation after shutdown before it would reboot automatically. This was intermittent to begin with and after I tried all the usual recommended actions based on My Computer and registry settings the symptom settled in permanently. Sometimes as long as 20 seconds would elapse before the restart occurred and this variation in delay made me suspicious that the problem was hardware related and the most likely culprit was the PSU.

This particular Antec case (flat desktop style) has the PSU mounted to the front left corner under the floppy drive and a short power cord runs internally from the rear panel IEC socket to the front middle of the case where its IEC plug can slot into the PSU iec socket. It is not at all easy to get to. Air intake for the case is via slots in the top of the case and the PSU fan vents via the left hand side of the case. There are exhaust fans on the right side of the case and the rear panel as well. While I had the PSU out I decided I might as well give it a good spring clean so all dust was removed and the CPU and cooler was cleaned down and heat conducting compound replaced. I did find a tiny speck of grit embedded in the base of the CPU cooler heatsink which would not have been helped the cooler's attempts to keep the CPU as cool as possible. I thought of replacing the Antec Truepower with a generic PSU I had on hand but the location of the IEC input socket and the output lead bundle on the PSU needed to be on the same side but they are on opposite sides on the generic PSU. The Antec PSU had been designed to suit this case and a generic PSU was not a suitable replacement so repair was the only option.

As for the PSU... it was plainly obvious that three caps had bulging cans. One of these was a 3300uf, 10V Fuhjyyu and the others were Teapo 1000uF, 10V types. I decided to check all electros and found a Fuhjyyu 47uF, 50V with higher than expected esr and I wasn't too impressed by the other Fuhjyyu's readings either even though they were inside the upper limit for esr. I decided to replace all Fuhjyyu caps to be on the safe side - I didn't want to be repeating this exercise in a the near future - or at all if possible.

As others have noted on this forum 10mm diameter electros in the higher values are not readily available in Australia. Despite the passage of several years I can report the situation is still the same. I searched the catalogues of all the likely suppliers such as WES Components, X-ON Electronics, Farnell and RS Components and found that generally speaking there was nothing under 12.5mm in the larger values.

In fact, RS Components proved to have the best range of 10mm caps but they didn't have 3300uF, 10V. The best they had was 2700uF, 10V so I decided to use this value as a replacement for the 3300uF. Because electros have such a wide tolerance on value, using 2700uF would make an insignificant difference in practical terms. Not only were the 2200uF and 2700uF hard to find in Australia, the only stock RS had was in the UK. So I have to wait about 10 days for them to come in.

For those in Australia who may be interested these are the parts I have ordered from RS.

1000uF, 10V - RS 526-1115 http://australia.rs-online.com/web/s...duct&R=5261115
                                  2200uF, 16V - RS 571-606 http://australia.rs-online.com/web/s...duct&R=0571606
                                  2700uF, 10V - RS 571-284 http://australia.rs-online.com/web/s...duct&R=0571284

Comment

You can replace 10v caps with 6.3v ones, since they're only on the 5v and 3.3v rails. You can get Panasonic FK in 6.3v 3300uF 10mm.
                                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                      You can replace 10v caps with 6.3v ones, since they're only on the 5v and 3.3v rails. You can get Panasonic FK in 6.3v 3300uF 10mm.
                                      These are the ones I use nearly in every recap.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                        That is a reasonable suggestion and I had considered it and then abandoned it. My reasoning (based on many years in electronics design and repair of smps) is that while the lower voltage will provide a suitable margin above the working voltage, the physically smaller size of these caps means they have less volume of electrolyte. As it is, manufacturers are constantly trying to reduce the volume of their capacitors in order to occupy less board space and this means there has to be some compromises. Less volume = less electrolyte = less ability to disperse heat = faster drying out and earlier failure.

Particularly in smps, I have demonstrated that by replacing small sized manufacturer specified caps in high temperature environments with physically larger (ie. higher voltage) caps produces a return of longer operational lifetime before failure.

If you have ever checked the specs for long life electrolytics you will invariably find that these types are physically much larger than similar value commercial counterparts. The main difference which produces the longer life is the increased volume of electrolyte thus leading to cooler operation and less tendency to dry out quickly.

My recommendation when repairing smps is to use the largest physical volume of electrolytic capacitor which the board space will allow.

Comment

rherber1,

That was the problem I encountered; trying to obtain caps that could actually fit on the PCB of my Antec. RS (australia) at the time had nothing that could physically fit. Even the Samxon were a tight squeeze.

The Caps I was supplied by BigPope (I think it was) are still going strong in another PC since 2006 - thats 5 years later.

All volts are still better than they were from factory with the Samxon caps.
                                          Say no to Fuhjyyu!

Comment

Working...
                                          X