Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Important] Toshiba A300-1MM Thermal pad size

Hello,
    I have a Toshiba Satellite A300-1MM Laptop (this model has a INTEL GMA gpu and not a ATI Radeon one). My problem is that the thermal pad on the Graphics Card was removed by an unskilled techinician who have cleaned my laptop 2 yeara ago (I didnt know how to clean it back then) and replaced by paste. However, as i see, the gpu does not make solid contact with the heatsink just with paste.
    Can you please tell me the size of thermal pad i need to purchase? I have found this image which may be helpful

Re: [Important] Toshiba A300-1MM Thermal pad size

Probably 1m thick.

Comment

Anything more than thick is fine . The screws pressure will handle the rest .

Comment

Thank you for your replies! You replied faster than I expected
        Is this thermal pad OK for use in this laptop? http://www.e-shop.gr/ek-water-blocks...m-p-PER.816106
        If not, can you please recommend me another one from this site?
        Thank you very much for your interest!

Comment

You can't use a thermal pad that's too thick. Under the pressure of the heatsink it will split in two and therefore not make good thermal contact. Most of the time I use 1mm so it should be fine. Sometimes 1.5mm (or thicker) but not on the BGAs, they are found on VRAMs, coils or MOSFETs for example.
          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Is thermal conductivity 3.5w/Mk 1MM thermal pad enough for the GMA? I see some 8.5 w/Mk thermal pads, but too expensive , and I dont think that this GMA chip needs so much thermal conductivity

Comment

More than enough . Anything will do fine , as Intel GMA do not heat that much , not like those equipped with ATI or the heatmonger Nvidia .
              Grab any water thermal pad if you have some junk parts . What you should care of in those A300 series is the void between the GMA chipset and the ventilation system .
              Due to a very poor design , sometimes the four screws holding the Ventilation system become loose or come already loose ..

Comment

Am I the only one who hates thermal pads? In every system that I have replaced the thermal pads (with a BGA reball/replacement) with a copper shim they rarely need to be repaired again. Best thing about the shim is you can sand it down to a perfect fit and then use finer sandpaper to polish it back up.

Comment

Thank you for your replies! I ordered a 1MM 3.5w/KMk thermal pad and it is coming on Monday-Tuesday.

Comment

I installed the pad and Artic MX-4 paste on the CPU and it has very good temperatures (max 70*C with 36*C ambient temp)
                    Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
                    X