Adding new RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding new RAM

I was at the computer store today and the guy there said that to add RAM we should pull our whole god damn systems to bits and lay the motherboard flat on a surface because apparently adding RAM inside a PC bends the board and can severely damage it.

I have added RAM to systems without prying them to bits for years and I haven't had a failure yet... but i dunno... what do you guys think?

Please don't tell me that this is true otherwise I'll spend hours taking a system apart just to add a RAM stick...

Right now, the only thing that requires me to pull a system to bits is changing a CPU because it requires alot of force.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Adding new RAM

I've been putting RAM in PCs since the days of individual DIP chips and I have never taken a MB out just for that. Never had a board die from it either. As long as the correct MB support standoffs are in place there is no issue.

Comment

rule#1001 about life:

some people are fucktards. they often end up as managers, designers, and "experts".

rule #1002: those in rule #1001 are not to be trusted, listened to, or considered knowledgeable in their given field. their advice often is worse than that of the drunk guy passed out by the dumpster-YES, THAT one!
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

You heard this from a computer shop. The shop is a business and businesses by nature exist to make money. Spreading bullshit about how a long and complex procedure is needed (for which they can charge a fat wad of $$$$$ for) is in their best interests.

Besides, I think the forces needed to pull a motherboard out of a case have much more potential to fuck something up than flexing it for a split second while you pop RAM in.

Comment

I have seen where there are bolt and standoffs on one side of the ram slots, but not the other, and the board will flex a bit when you put new ram in. In super rare occasions, this can damage the board..... I honestly have never seen it happen, but enough flex can do damage.

In all honesty, if you are worried about breaking a board when putting in ram, just find a piece of plastic that is about the same thickness as the gap between the board and the mobo tray. put it under the corners (not under contact leads, don't want to bend them together) to support the board when you put in ram.

Should you pull a mobo to install ram? No, never. Yeah, if you already have the board out, go ahead and install the ram, but never pull a board just to install ram, not needed.

Comment

It is easier to seat the ram when the board is out of the case but I'd never pull it out just for the ram. You can crack some solder joints if your really careless or trying to hammer it in.

The store guy is stupid.

Comment

probably tried to sell you an anti-static wrist strap too!

Comment

it is just fine, if you are careful.
                i had performed upgrading frequently with the board in the case.

Comment

Working...
                X