Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New found hatred for Western Digital....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New found hatred for Western Digital....

is it G1 or G2 intel SSD? probably G1 or value version (40GB) is even slower.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

by the way... nice job falsifying the values

hdtach: 1MB = 1000KB
      hdtune: 1MB = 1024KB

Comment

Crystal disk shows 190MB/s sequential read for a Crucial M225 64GB.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
          is it G1 or G2 intel SSD? probably G1 or value version (40GB) is even slower.Cheers, Wizard
          The SSD is at least 80gb, if that helps on the model.
          I'm an Intel contractor and they provided the laptop. Considering the price of the 6930p and docking station, it does not seem likely the SSD is a bargain unit.

No matter, they still die prematurely, and without warning.

Comment

just get a 4gig fast CF-card and a chinese CF>IDE or CF>SATA adapter.

Comment

Originally posted by bgavin
              The SSD is at least 80gb, if that helps on the model.
              I'm an Intel contractor and they provided the laptop. Considering the price of the 6930p and docking station, it does not seem likely the SSD is a bargain unit.

No matter, they still die prematurely, and without warning.
              I have always suspected that SSDs die without warning etc but have not seen it firsthand or read stories etc

Don't suppose you know any good websites detailing specifics on SSD failure?
              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
              -David VanHorn

Comment

ssd is just like a big cf-card.

i'v had a big cf-card fail being used as a boot-drive.
                it just lost it's flash without warning.
                just the controller i'd ing the make and size, then it freezes when you try to read or write.

Comment

my mother had a gigabyte 939 motherboard (via chipset). would not like any segate sata drive, all other brands just fine. updated firmware, no go. took a wd sata drive just fine
                  Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                  ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235
                    my mother had a gigabyte 939 motherboard (via chipset). would not like any segate sata drive, all other brands just fine. updated firmware, no go. took a wd sata drive just fine
                    Does it use the VIA VT8237 Southbridge? The first revision is known to have issues with some SATA-II drives...
                    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Its actually an asus a8v-x with an 8251 chip. even at that I used the sata 150 jumper on the drive and still same thing

Comment

I had a problem very similar to that with a new Seagate drive. This was a few years back. A call to Seagate tech support, and they sent me a revised firmware for the drive which fixed the issues once applied from a PC that wasn't effected.
                        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24
                          I have always suspected that SSDs die without warning etc but have not seen it firsthand or read stories etc

Don't suppose you know any good websites detailing specifics on SSD failure?
                          SSDs [like any RAM] are basically banks of tiny capacitors in a grid that are charged for a '1' and discharged for a '0'.

With SSDs and flash memory they [the caps] have a very limited number of charge/discharge before they fail [as compared to RAM used for system memory].

They may have improved since I looked but when I did a 'normal' PC user [8hr/day 'office use'] could only expect about 3 years use out of an SSD before it would need to be replaced.
                          - High cost and short life makes SSD not worth it to me.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                          -

Comment

yeah and lets get tc to replace a few million of these microscopic capicators hehe

yeah its better to come up with some high rpm raid solution. there are some ways to extend the life of ssd's like disabling the paging file in windows if you have enough ram, but even at that the registry is written to on a constant basis

Comment

most failed flash chips dont have bad cell's - they just die!

Comment

Originally posted by stj
                                most failed flash chips dont have bad cell's - they just die!
                                Dead = bad cells.

-
                                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                -

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235
                                  yeah and lets get tc to replace a few million of these microscopic capicators hehe

yeah its better to come up with some high rpm raid solution. there are some ways to extend the life of ssd's like disabling the paging file in windows if you have enough ram, but even at that the registry is written to on a constant basis
                                  I researched SSD's looking a fast drive to use as dedicated page file drives in a server setup.
                                  Keeping the page files off the OS and data drives [and the interface that goes to the OS and data drives] speeds things up quite nicely if the cost of the extra drive is worth it for the project.
                                  When I found out that would kill SSD's real quick I settled on WD Raptor 36GB drives for that.
                                  If I ever trip over one cheap I might switch to a sata based RAM drive [one that uses actual RAM chips] for that purpose, but those are rare and usually MO $$$ when I've seen them.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

dead doesnt = bad cells.
                                    bad cells = verify errors.
                                    dead = failure in the buffers or the matrix decoding.
                                    the buffers & decode circuits are hammered far more than the cell's

i'll add this, retention on flash seems like shit - and getting worse.
                                    i used to get stuff 4-6 years old with corrupt or intermittant data in the flash,
                                    now i'm seeing stuff only a year+ in age.

both fixed by a re-flash.
                                    so the flash chips have higher leakage, or the higher density is resulting in a lower electron-per-cell count.

Comment

double post.

Comment

Verify errors occur due to bad cells.
                                        The buffers are caps [aka cells] too.

Dead = bad cells.

"fixed by a re-flash"
                                        - Even a bad cap will hold a charge for a little while after you cycle it's voltgae.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

Originally posted by stj
                                          dead doesnt = bad cells.
                                          bad cells = verify errors.
                                          dead = failure in the buffers or the matrix decoding.
                                          the buffers & decode circuits are hammered far more than the cell's

i'll add this, retention on flash seems like shit - and getting worse.
                                          i used to get stuff 4-6 years old with corrupt or intermittant data in the flash,
                                          now i'm seeing stuff only a year+ in age.

both fixed by a re-flash.
                                          so the flash chips have higher leakage, or the higher density is resulting in a lower electron-per-cell count.
                                          Interesting... now I really think I will stick to hard drives!!

Bring on the 3TB and 4TB drives and may the 2TB ones drop their prices
                                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                          X