Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing ATX connector - tips tricks experience or help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing ATX connector - tips tricks experience or help?

Hey guys, I just picked up a tyan tiger MP really cheap with a fried ATX connector. Nothing else wrong with the board. What do you think about replacing it? Can I just take a solder sucker and my iron and pull that thing out of there and plug a salvaged one off another board in? Any tips for removing it from the other board without wrecking it? Even look feasable? Here's a couple pics:

http://www.shawnmann.com/images/forums/P5110003.JPG
    http://www.shawnmann.com/images/forums/P5110004.JPG

I've replaced a lot of those. The trusty solder sucker has always worked fine on them. The trick is reflowing the solder using a good hot iron, making sure it melts through all layers, then using the solder sucker and pulling all the solder out.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Are you sure there's nothing else wrong with the board? All of the damage to that connector is on the four +5VDC lines. Something pulled *A LOT* of current through that connector; there's a better than good chance that anything connected to +5 sustained damage.

Comment

Nothing else wrong with the board.
        it has some hermei caps that should go.

hmmm a tyan S2460......quite a few posts on the net about the same issue.

use a high quality psu if you get it working again
        Last edited by willawake; 05-13-2005, 09:29 AM.
        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

That's a nice ESD mat [/sarcasm...
          Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

That's a nice ESD mat [/sarcasm...
            not to mention fire hazard
            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Re: Replacing ATX connector - tips tricks experience or help?

Hey, not my pics :P Its not like he was powering the board on or anything on the carpet. Anyway.. so I finally received the board, only to discover that *SOMEBODY* had already taken a crack at replacing the ATX connector. The whole area is a mess.. I got a pretty decent close up pic of it, and blah. So I'm asking for your help.

Some of the pins are fine, but in others I guess whoever did it used too low wattage a iron or something, and burnt right through the thin green layer around the pins, down to what appears to be a layer of copper. The solder then flowed onto that as well as the rings around the holes.. I assume grounding out these pins. I need ideas on fixing this. I got some of the pins unsoldered with this crappy solder sucker, but I need some wick for the others, which is why it looks like a bit of a mess right now.

I realize I may not be able to fix all, or even any of these pins, in which case, is there the possibility of completely avoiding the atx connector, and wiring the psu directly into the vregs? Where exactly would I run all those lines? I can provide as much info as possible, high resolution pictures of every square inch of the board, and multimeter readings. I've got 5 or 6 dead boards and about as many dead psus to scavange parts off of, I just want to get this thing running again. Any help at all would be VERY much appreciated. Pic of connector in its current state below. Thank you VERY much for the help guys

http://rukk.stfu.ca/pictars/s2460atx.jpg

Comment

i dont see damage that would render the board unrepairable.
                you just need a good hot iron and a way to clear the holes.
                i would fix that in about 10 minutes.

Comment

I guess my picture isnt good enough.. See the light green area of the PCB around the atx connector? Well, in some places, very very close to the pins, the green has been burned through to copper which is just underneath it. My guess would be I dont want to connect the pins to the copper, which will happen if I solder there without somehow isolating the copper..

Comment

Post a post-desoldering picture.

--Randy

Comment

Will do as soon as I get some wick. This solder sucker just isnt going to do the job and I'm scared of hurting the board more.

Comment

Hey, worst case, if the ATX connector is totally shot and unrepairable.. Is there any way of hooking the various rails of the psu directly into the vregs and making the board work?

Comment

yes, that is doable...

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=58333

that is the example of connecting the 5V psu straight to the vrm. (5v is always regulated by psu, iirc ).
                          days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

just clean it up and be careful soldering the new connector.
                            no big deal.

Comment

Ok, I did just that. Cleaned up and installed a new connector *very* careful of the exposed copper bits. I dont have a heatsink or memory to test with right now, but the fans spin now! I checked over the vregs with a mulitmeter, and I've got a question.. Everything looks normal but 4 vregs (2 per cpu). Here, I'll use a picture to demonstrate. The vregs circled in green measure 5.12v, which is what I would expect. The red circled vregs measure 0.012v.. which is a little odd. Maybe its because I dont have cpus in the board? I'm pretty sure I have a 12v rail working because the fan connectors and a small vreg over by the memory show 11.98v just fine.. If anybody else with a s2460 could check and tell me what these are supposed to be, I would be very grateful.. and here, without further adieu, the picture:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Nevermind that last post. Got the board to post with defective, unregistered ram and a generic 300w.. wow. Anyway, the vregs which are outlined in red in the previous picture output vcore. So I'll feed the 5v ones some nice clean power direct from the psu

Comment

Working...
                                X