Burning issues. No idea what is up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Burning issues. No idea what is up.

I have never had more problems with Maxtor drives than any other manufacturer that was sold with an equivalent warranty length.

If 100,000 people buy Maxtors with a 1yr warranty and 100,000 buy Seagate (or WD) with a 3yr or 5yr warranty there will be a lot more complaints about the Maxtors but comparing them calling them equal to start with isn't legit.
    Back when there WAS a premium grade of Maxtor I used them all the time. They were no better or worse than comparably marketed/warrantied Seagate or WD.
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

uh..i would say maxtor put the warranty at 1 year when they saw the return rates, or whatever.
      drives i'm talking about had 3 year warranty, and same price as wd or seagate.
      (drives i had very dying after 1.5 year, and i got replacement for first one: replacement died after simillar time too...and it's wasn't really badluck, it was happening a lot...)

after the dismal reliability results they probably brought down warranty to 1 year, and brought price a bit down too, but still...

Comment

saw some 1tb samsung "green" drives on newegg.
        would be fine for mass storage on a movie box.
        but only a 1 year warranty?
        shows they have no confidence in the drives.
        why should i??????

Comment

Originally posted by i4004
          uh..i would say maxtor put the warranty at 1 year when they saw the return rates.
          The big problem with that theory is that they have the warranty when the model is introduced and before they are sold.
          - Hence return rate is not known.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Maxtor changed their marketing plan to focus on the low-end market several years before they were bought out. - That's when the warranties changed.
            -
            If you buy low end drives then don't bitch when you get low end reliability.

-

- Dr Seuss
            -
            -

Comment

For this reason I sworn off Maxtors. Slow for 7200rpm drives and "unreliable" (not to be trusted).

I keep a eye on events of forums and googling from time to time on the models and I have discovered them and proactively moved all my stuff off the Maxtors.
              So, there were no loss.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

The big problem with that theory is that they have the warranty when the model is introduced and before they are sold.
                - Hence return rate is not known.
                i mean as a trend; after a certain point they saw hdds they're making are crap, so they refused to loose THAT much money on it...

Maxtor changed their marketing plan to focus on the low-end market several years before they were bought out. - That's when the warranties changed.
                -
                If you buy low end drives then don't bitch when you get low end reliability.
                what the hell "low end" means in your mind?
                wd and seagate have drives at comparable prices, AND they always had them.
                i can't say exactly why and when things got bad for maxtor, but they were clearly making worst drives, and are now destroying seagate reputation, which was ok untill they bought maxtor. now there are glitches with particular models.

Comment

Originally posted by pentium
                  one would coaster every disc
                  Sounds like my old CenDyne Lightning III CD-RW drive, which I purchased in November, 2002 and around July, 2003, suddenly, burning usually would fail with Nero giving me a power calibration error or "track or focus error" or "Could not perform fixation".

And sometimes, Nero didn't give me an error, but I found the CD contents corrupted!

I thought I saw someone report those being made by LiteOn, but dunno.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

my drive brands of choice is Western digital and Pioneer using Memorex media so far for the past 6 years. i have yet to see any one of my WD drives fail (that includes my used ones and new ones as well). not saying they never fail cause they do, and my luck with the brands of drives i use will run out eventually and get a bad drive or one that will go bad quickly.

i have read around that the Pioneer DVR-112 and 115 had issues with not burning (but that could be because of the media used or out of date firmware or a mix of both).

i just happened to find the sweet spot for this Pioneer drive and the brand of media i use. since i have used Memorex for a long wile now i haven't had a bad burn due to a bad disk ( now i have made coasters with the Memorex brand due to user error before i get to the burn process) but that's not a burn error due to the drive or disk.

everyone has their own preference in brands of drives and media. the only things that i cant do with this drive is burn DVD-Ram disks (but will read them) or Lightscribe. i can force flash this DVR-110D to a DVR-110 to gain DVD-Ram burning but its not worth the risk of killing the drive and i dont need the ability to burn to DVD-Ram.

i am thinking on going 100% SATA (cause its much better then IDE), right now my HDD is the only SATA drive in my setup, and my Pioneer is IDE. i was looking at a Blueray drive but they are still to high in price (was looking at the storage use over the HD video aspect of the drive). but i will settle for lightscribe and DVD DL.

Comment

Originally posted by pentium
                      I have a NEC ND-2500A DVD burner (which can also support burning dual layer dvds with a firmware flash) and I was burning some images (that were made using MagicISO) I made today when things went funky.
                      I first burned a cd full of pdf files and photos and it burned fine. I then did a dvd full of avi video clips and it too burned fine too (even plays on my PS3).
                      Then I proceeded to burn several more dvds that were full of just videos and while the burn was successful and I can see that teh disc has been burned, no drive (or the PS3) I own can read it. The drive just spins up and down and eventually stops and tells me that there is no disc in the drive.
                      I can't further test either as I am completely out of blank DVDs now.
                      What would something like this be associated with? The drive has worked trouble free ever since I bought it last spring.
                      Likely a chip in the recording layer, which is on the same side as the label!

Or dirty.
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                      X