more win10 stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: more win10 stuff

it would be good if hardware company's didnt keep trying to put people off linux though - probably paid by ms to do so.

i just got a new printer.
    see here:
    http://www.brother.co.uk/printers/in...ers/mfcj4620dw

notice:
    Supported Windows® 7 (32bit(x86) & 64bit(x64) editions), Windows® 8 (32bit(x86) & 64bit(x64) editions), Windows Vista® (32bit(x86) & 64bit(x64) editions), Windows® XP Professional (32bit(x86) & 64bit(x64) editions), Windows® XP Home, Windows Server® 2003 & 2008 (32bit(x86) & 64bit(x64) editions),Windows Server® 2008 R2 & 2012 (64bit(x64) edition), OS X v10.7.5/10.8.x/ 10.9.x
    no Linux listed.
    but look what they have hidden in the support area!!!
    http://support.brother.com/g/b/downl...s_eu_as&os=127

i see this with a lot of company's inc canon and epson.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveNielsen View Post
      I don't hate Windows, but there are many things I don't like about it, security topping the list. For many people Windows is the best choice. Not me. I only use it when I have to. Linux is not any more difficult to set up and maintain than Windows, you just have to go about it differently and learn some new things. Support for Linux now far surpasses what you can get for Windows, IMO.
      While I agree with you for the most part, Linux doesn't have the out of the box experience of juts working windows does, at least for me. For example, my z97 mobo can do internal graphics and external graphics at the same time, right, pretty normal. And windows just stretches my displays on both graphics cards. Cool, normal behavior. But when I was installing Linux, Linux mint debian edition to be exact, I had to download a whole host of packages just to get it to even see my internal graphics controller. Thats what I mean by dicking around. Yes it works in linux, and yes support is great, but I have to spend time on it, time I would rather spend cad modeling because it already works in windows with just a simple exe. I also agree about security, but for me, I don't do anything I don't want people seeing, I would obviosly rather ave privacy, but... I'm not that paranoid.
      Last edited by SpectrHz; 08-07-2015, 11:23 AM.
      My blog, for those interested in physics, engineering, and teardowns http://www.spectrhz.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        it would be good if hardware company's didnt keep trying to put people off linux though - probably paid by ms to do so.

i just got a new printer.
        see here:
        http://www.brother.co.uk/printers/in...ers/mfcj4620dw

notice:

no Linux listed.
        but look what they have hidden in the support area!!!
        http://support.brother.com/g/b/downl...s_eu_as&os=127

i see this with a lot of company's inc canon and epson.
        You seem a bit conspiratorial, maybe they were paid by ms, but I doubt it. I think it's more a marketing thing. Their customers and userbase most likely use winblows first, and macs second. A small percentage use linux, therefore not necessitating putting it on the main download page.
        I own a brother j470dw and have installed its drivers in Linux, and the process was easy and made by someone who used Linux, so brother is at least trying to cater to their small userbase that uses Linux, which is much more than most would do. Especially a Japanese company, which are world famous for being tight asses
        My blog, for those interested in physics, engineering, and teardowns http://www.spectrhz.wordpress.com

Comment

@stj, recently i was asked to install a new printer for one of customers. They had XP and i had previously set them up dual boot with Linux Mint. Major faff about installing on Windows XP and a laptop with Windows 7, yet funnily after booting to Mint it was there ready and installed. I didn't have to do a thing.

@SpectrHz, security isn't just about stopping the bad guys seeing what you are doing or stealing files. There are many reasons why the bay guys want access or control to other peoples PCs.
          Cool stuff on your blog btw

Ensuring updates and patches are applied promptly is still the No.1 thing to do to remain secure. I can see why Microsoft has changed the way it does things with Windows 10, but i it needs some work on it, there should be some manual control, especially when it comes to drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
            @stj, recently i was asked to install a new printer for one of customers. They had XP and i had previously set them up dual boot with Linux Mint. Major faff about installing on Windows XP and a laptop with Windows 7, yet funnily after booting to Mint it was there ready and installed. I didn't have to do a thing.

@SpectrHz, security isn't just about stopping the bad guys seeing what you are doing or stealing files. There are many reasons why the bay guys want access or control to other peoples PCs.
            Cool stuff on your blog btw

Ensuring updates and patches are applied promptly is still the No.1 thing to do to remain secure. I can see why Microsoft has changed the way it does things with Windows 10, but i it needs some work on it, there should be some manual control, especially when it comes to drivers.
            Of course! And that's why I know security is an issue, but people primarily focus on the spying part, as its the most relatable. I also definitely agree Microsoft should give manual control of updates to power users, as ms even attempted to give windows 10 more options in that respect with powershell. But for the average user, mandatory updates do make sense to me.

Also, thanks for the feedback on my blog! I really appreciate it unfortunately it's sat dormant for a while due to life issues, but I'm finally pursuing my passions and will be updating it more soon!

Comment

Comment

I like the gun in the last one, LOL.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

32 GB G.Skill RipJaws V F4-3200C16D-32GVR

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

that was drawn for the release of win95

Comment

Going by Microsofts numbering system, I'd say Windows 2000 is about 20,000% better than Windows 10

Comment

^
                      Yup, and it looks like it will be another 1990 versions of windows before they finally catch up.
                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows...or-some-users/

Comment

That was quick.
                          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                            Going by Microsofts numbering system, I'd say Windows 2000 is about 20,000% better than Windows 10
                            ...and to add insult to injury, you have to pay them to play fucking solitaire or freecell now. Fuck all that noise. I have the XP versions of these games archived for a reason.... I don't play them, but I know a lot of people that do.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                            http://folding.stanford.edu/
                            Team : 49813
                            Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Pretty easy to disable automatic updating in win 10. People keep saying windows forces it, but one edit of the registry lets you choose to download updates, ask you, or not ever update, and it just shows up as a different update policy in windows update, so these issues can be avoided

Comment

Originally posted by SpectrHz View Post
                                Pretty easy to disable automatic updating in win 10. People keep saying windows forces it, but one edit of the registry lets you choose to download updates, ask you, or not ever update, and it just shows up as a different update policy in windows update, so these issues can be avoided
                                proof? (to lazy to look)
                                Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by SpectrHz View Post
                                  And how many average users are brave enough to go near the big scary registry that everyone has always told them will make their computer explode if they touch it?
                                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                  -David VanHorn

Comment

most people who know how to do that already switched to Linux or pirate-OSX

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                                      proof? (to lazy to look)
                                      Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                                      And how many average users are brave enough to go near the big scary registry that everyone has always told them will make their computer explode if they touch it?
                                      They don't have to, it's in the group policy editor (gpedit.msc)
                                      Setting is only enforced in Win10 Pro though, the Home edition does not have the ability to configure this setting.
                                      More annoyingly is that the setting for preventing Windows Update from installing drivers is not implemented/and or not working.
                                      Hopefully MS will come to their senses and fix that!

Attached Files
                                      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                        They don't have to, it's in the group policy editor (gpedit.msc)
                                        Setting is only enforced in Win10 Pro though, the Home edition does not have the ability to configure this setting.
                                        More annoyingly is that the setting for preventing Windows Update from installing drivers is not implemented/and or not working.
                                        Hopefully MS will come to their senses and fix that!

Ah, true, I meant gpedit, but I wasn't aware it only worked in the pro version :/ still, Im guessing the majority of people probably have pro, unless they have a key that came with an OEM computer.

Comment

most people who know how to do that already switched to Linux or pirate-OSX
                                          That is true, and I do, but I just cant completely separate from MS :/ I was about to before win 10, but win 10 runs really well on my computer, so I'm satisfied with a dual boot. In the case of people who don't know how to do this though, I feel like they are the type of people who would definitely benefit from forced updates, since they wouldn't change the update settings to begin with.

Comment

Working...
                                          X