more win10 stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: more win10 stuff

The privacy thing is being blown out of proportion. What it wants to collect by default is not much different to Android, OSX and IOS.

People can either blindly turn their computers on out of the box or after an upgrade and use them or take a moment to understand and configure what they have.

Considering the amount of installs of Win 10 the amount of issues is small.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
      The privacy thing is being blown out of proportion. What it wants to collect by default is not much different to Android, OSX and IOS.
      or the stassi, or the chekka, or the savak.

i dont care if it's "no different", it's still fucking wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        or the stassi, or the chekka, or the savak.

i dont care if it's "no different", it's still fucking wrong!
        That would be Stasi and Cheka
        And a company wanting to know how it's customers are using their product. How is that wrong ?

Comment

oh?
          so knowing the websites you browse, the programs you install, the mails you send etc is "wanting to know how it's customers are using their product" is it?
          sounds more like wanting to know what it's customers are doing in general and with other people's products.

not forgetting things like uploading your wifi keys to a central database.

i wouldnt want a car that reported gps data to the mfr every 10 seconds (fuck you onstar) so how is this any different!

Comment

Those "features" can be turned off. The WiFi keys are not uploaded in plain text and this can also be turned off.

Just like your Onstar example, you are free to not use Windows 10. Your browsing habits are tracked and collected by many more organisations than Microsoft unless you take steps to reduce this, just like turning off the options in Windows 10.

So no difference. Default settings with your browsing will have your data collected just like the default settings in Windows 10.

Comment

you assume it can be turned off, and as for "plain text" - who wrote the algorythm if that's even true.
              answer - they people it's being sent to.

this is a "pan-opticon" o.s.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                Same here. Pre-C2D = straight to the metal recyclers.
                I guess all 4 of my rigs are junk then... 3 are Netburst based Xeons though (and one is AMD Opteron).

I take it we're talking OEM consumer crap and not other stuff (custom built stuff in decent cases, etc?)
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  you assume it can be turned off, and as for "plain text" - who wrote the algorythm if that's even true.
                  answer - they people it's being sent to.

this is a "pan-opticon" o.s.
                  I assume nothing. But having the option to turn off and on suggests it can be turned off.
                  Last edited by diif; 08-05-2015, 09:44 AM.

Comment

A person has to be careful no matter what OS they use online. If they aren't that's what we are around for, right? I see no cause for paranoia but if you use online gadgets vulnerability comes with the territory, so we take what actions we can to prevent or at least minimize the risks.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                      I guess all 4 of my rigs are junk then... 3 are Netburst based Xeons though (and one is AMD Opteron).

I take it we're talking OEM consumer crap and not other stuff (custom built stuff in decent cases, etc?)
                      I would say yes they are kind of pointless and one Core i5 desktop will outperform them all but then I would have to admit that I have three old trucks instead of one new one so it would by hypocritical. But somebody else can make the same point

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                        Belongs in a fucking scrap heap.
                        Though i do agree (anything other than FreeBSD or WinXP on a preshott, are you shitting me) it still proves the issues go beyond custom builds or added on cards.
                        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I would say yes they are kind of pointless and one Core i5 desktop will outperform them all but then I would have to admit that I have three old trucks instead of one new one so it would by hypocritical. But somebody else can make the same point
                          Yeah, and a new Kia will probably outrun your trucks in a road race. You and I both know why this is an unfair comparison. Sometimes it's not about the specs.
                          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, and a new Kia will probably outrun your trucks in a road race. You and I both know why this is an unfair comparison. Sometimes it's not about the specs.
                            ...but true.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                            http://folding.stanford.edu/
                            Team : 49813
                            Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

Oh, that was a Kia? Sorry, I thought that was a speed bump. But seriously, a new Kia is probably more reliable, cheaper to maintain, more professional looking, and better on gas. So you're right, a new Kia is probably better for everything that doesn't require a truck. Then again the Colorado isn't really a truck - it's more of a car with a bed - so I can't give Kia drivers a hard time. On the other hand, a 1998 Silverado with Z71 (that sticker is the most important part of the truck), 6" lift, and 35" tires, now that is as practical as it gets! /s

Now, before we get completely off topic, I am posting this from a Windows 10 computer that is working perfectly. And I bet it's streaming everything I type to Microsoft and the NSA. But I DON'T CARE.
                              Last edited by shovenose; 08-05-2015, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Then again the Colorado isn't really a truck - it's more of a car with a bed
                                hmmm...ranger-like?
                                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                                  hmmm...ranger-like?
                                  Cars don't have full frames (in 1995 at least) and twin I beam suspensions.
                                  sigpic

Comment

hmmm...ranger-like?
                                    I won't say the Colorado is much better than that outdated POS but at least it has a Chevy logo on it.

Comment

Cars don't have full frames (in 1995 at least) and twin I beam suspensions.
                                      All trucks still have solid frames.....but I do believe he was more referring to the poopey useless drivetrains in small trucks....very car-like.

I still win!!

YAY for successfully hijacking the thread!
                                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                      Team Stats

Comment

All trucks still have solid frames.....but I do believe he was more referring to the poopey useless drivetrains in small trucks....very car-like.

I still win!!

Yeah, you win - your Cummins will last longer, sounds better, gets better fuel economy, and looks cooler. One day I will get a Duramax, though...

http://www.duramaxhub.com/lml.html
                                        765 lb-ft @ 1,600 rpm

http://www.cumminshub.com/12v.html
                                        400 - 440 lb-ft @ 1,600 rpm

Got to sell lots of hosting and quite a few web designs to get something like this. I don't want some stupid ferrari or lambo just a nice truck.

Last edited by shovenose; 08-05-2015, 01:33 PM.

Comment

^Meh duramax.

My truck may not be able to haul a whole lot weight wise, but volume wise (and caro area durability wise) it's pretty good.
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X