Sunon Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunon Fans

I am not very impressed with sunon fans (made in china) at the moment. Their price is comparable to alternatives like pelko (5 euros for an 80mm) and not like papst (20 euro) so i guess you get what you pay for.

i have a whole bunch that developed vibration problems.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Re: Sunon Fans

aren't they the cheap kinds that deer uses in their P/S? well anyway, my raidmax (L&C or DEER) has a Sunon fan.

Comment

barf
      wheres the good news????
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

The older ball bearing Sunon fans are pretty good, but I really like the commercial grade NMB fans. And the 5 year old Globe fans in my old PSU are still running great, though it may be because they are not always at full speed.

Delta and Nidec are also good. I have a few Nidec Beta V 80MM fans that are over 5 years old and still run great.

One thing I do notice about Sunon fans, especially the 40-60MM size, is that the bearings do get noisy after a couple years, but they will run for a long time after that.

How good are YS Tech fans? I got a handfull of 40MM ones on sale to replace the fans in some small power supplies, and so far so good.

Comment

YS Tech fans are IMHO very good and high quality (at least in the past). May be comparable with Pabst or NMB, but not shure abouth that (limited personal experience, but my few YS fans are all good).
          I have had some bad experiences with Sunnon fans too.
          But those fans are bought from a surplus store, thus they are the cheaper version.
          re-oiling does the trick for another few weeks.
          The problem is, that there is not any real bearing present in those Sunnon cheapies.
          But the Sunnons with ball bearings should be ok.

Comment

I have some 8cm Sunon fans - older ball bearing and one with that maglev technology - with no problems.

Comment

I've had nothing but poor results with Sunon fans. I've experienced seized psu and gpu fans, noisy, vibration-plagued cpu and 80, 92mm case fans.
              Some claim ball-bearing-ed on the label...and still found seized.
              These weren't very old fans, but were running 24/7.
              I avoid buying Sunon fans, I relegate them to the same quality of unknown sleeve-bearing cheapy fans that I can buy for <$2 USD. (Evercool, Galaxy, etc)
              They've always disappointed me. Why pay top-dollar price for a fan that doesn't deliver?
              I think they are riding their brandname, and sell crappy fans to the public based on their rep as a good fan company.

Sanyo-Denki, Panasonic, NMB, and YS-tech are my most reliable and highest quality fans in my experience.

If you're going to need a fan that won't require a watchful eye and periodic maintence or replacement, stick with a really good fan. Sunons always seem to die prematurely.
              “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
              We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

how about ADDA, Everflow and T&T fans? my pc is currently using them. are they good or crappy?

Comment

At least with (isn`t ADDA a fan series from Yate loon?) Yate Loon i have had no problems. Many of the better PSu`s are equiped with them.
                  The other brands are unknown to me.

Comment

I think it also depends what kind of application they are being used for. In the stuff I work on, the 40mm ADDA fans in the Enhance Micro-ATX PSU's are always seized, while the 50mm Sunons in the cabinets are all still working, though noisey.

And I've only seen some older, ball bearing Yate Loon fans that still worked. The sleeve bearing ones used in the PSU's such as Enhance were always bad.

I've also seen 92mm sleeve bearing Sunons that were hit or miss, but the ones that were bad had hundreds of thousands of hours on them from being in arcade games.

The best ones I've seen by far were the 120mm NMB fans in some of the larger Sega arcade games. I worked on a Star Wars Trilogy game that had about 8 of them, and they were all still running like new, after almost 10 years of operation in a harsh environment.

Comment

I have read on certain websites that for sleeve bearing fans, it must be mounted vertically in order to have its lifespan comparable to their ball-bearing counterparts. Otherwise, it will die pre-maturely due to lubricant leakage and bearing damage.

quite a number of PSU's that used 120mm sleeve bearings are installed on tower casing, therefore making the fan to be mounted horizontally. in this case, the fan will die very fast.

Comment

ADDA is crap - too bad that even some good PSUs use them.

Comment

I've had good luck with Sunon personally. I've got probably 15+ of the ball bearing 80mm variety scattered throughout various power supplies and systems. Most are pushing 4-5 years of age. I'll admit though that I haven't bought any recently. They do seem to get noisy with age. Only one notable failure to date (40mm sleave), excluding the one that I dropped and busted the rotor on. They seem to have declined in quality recently though.
                          Last edited by jbbenson; 05-29-2007, 11:11 PM.

Comment

i see mixed results with sunon.
                            some in service 10 years and still fine.
                            but everyone of the 40mm in sensetron psu for swi prototrak m2 are locked up.
                            some after less than a year.
                            can be a problem finding high quality replacements at times.
                            this fan is critical as this is a 60w psu running a 486,i/o,encoders,and motion control card.

Comment

I use them for case fans when I get a bunch for cheap. For critical fans, I always use Panaflo. More expensive, and worth it.

Comment

Sunon are okay for case fans (I've got quite a few in service at the moment), but Y.S. Tech & Delta are my preferred units, seems AVC gets used by AMD somewhat too
                                Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Sunon's have been pretty good IME, but i've only ever used the ball bearing variety.. I haven't bought any in quite some time though, as i prefer Panasonic Panaflo's..

On a side note, if you're looking for a 120mm Pabst DC fan, these ones for $1.50 each can hardly be beat.. they're 24VDC fans, but they run fine and extremely quietly on 12V.. They already have the 3 pin connector on them, but you have to swap two of the wires to get them to work on a motherboard..

http://www.bgmicro.com/index.asp?Pag...D&ProdID=10830

I've bought about 10 of these, for systems and spares, and they're quite nice..

Comment

Thanks for that link, I just found the 50mm 5vdc fans I've been looking all over for. Time for a $50 bulk order

Comment

Speaking of good fans, I have noticed many noisy Sunon fans also, esp in the 40mm size. Where can you get a good 40mm fan for less than $20? I don't mind the high rpm 40mm whine. Its the "I've got sand in my ass crack and its starting to chafe!" sound that bothers me.

Comment

High RPM tends to cause 40mm fan failure, especially with the typical (10mm) thin ones. Although the connector is wrong you might try this Sanyo @ MPJA or this, though this might be better. Use your preferred method of fan speed reduction / controller so it only runs as fast as required to keep the part cool enough (if default speed @ voltage is over roughly 2K RPM).
                                        Last edited by 999999999; 06-10-2007, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X