Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: emachine e725 freezes randomly

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
    I'm not sure you are aware of it, but you can still directly address 32, 16, and even 8 bit registers on a 64 bit CPU. You use as many bits as you need. Just because a variable CAN be 64 bits in length, it doesn't mean that it WILL be. Look up some x86 ASM and you will understand.

@ PCBONEZ: If ratdude747 was right on this one then there would have been no reason to progress past the original 8088 (8 bits) and 8086 (16 bits). Heck, maybe we should be all browsing the internet on PICs and ATMELs. Look, they even got 16 and 32 bit ones. Besides, i didn't buy my RAM to have it sitting idle. And it's a fact that x64 runs better on 2GB and up than 32-bit.
    Imagine that...
    Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

The main point remains: We have cluttered the OP's topic with trash that does not belong here and does not answer any of his questions. And i still run 64-bit whether you like it or not. If 64-bit capability is something you have already, why throw it away ffs? Okay, 64 bit uses twice the memory. Booooooo. But a 64-bit instruction can now execute in a single clock cycle as opposed to two if the processor was running in 32-bit mode. Yay. You have to face it: From a $$$ standpoint more RAM is much cheaper than faster CPU.

PS. Doing 16-bit math in ASM on a 8-bit PIC micro. Not funny.
      Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 06-25-2011, 03:12 AM.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

And we have already agreed that 1GB is not enough to run Windows 7. So, the point is?
        The point is if Win7 32-bit will run [albeit slow] on 1GB then so will Win7 64-bit [albeit slow].
        -
        Beyond that, yes we did agree on that. So why you jumping on me when I was expressing that same idea to SOMEONE ELSE?

i didn't buy my RAM to have it sitting idle.
        If you have more than 4Gb it probably is idle most of the time.
        [For the average typical PC user I'd say 2Gb.]

And I stand by what I said...
        The average typical PC user will never NEED more than 32-bit.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
          "But a good programmer could put more instructions in one 'word'." = "you can say more things which in some cases allow using fewer words"

Which validates what I said here..
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...1&postcount=33
          you are right it does, but this only works for things only written for x64.

windows has both x32 and x64 versions. going back to my example, say we had a program in 4 bit:

000ilike00my0rod

and in 8 bit:

0000000i0000like000000my00000rod

and upon releasing it as a product, we find out it mistaken as saying something to do with "willy". to fix it, we change it to :

000ilike00myiron0rod
          0000000i0000like000000my0000iron00000rod

had we taken advantage of the 8 bit words, we would have 2 completely different codes to manage (one issue would not be the same in the other). in addition, it is much easier and more reliable to use old proven code rather than starting from scratch. you wonder why microsoft copyrights on operating systems mention years long ago (or use a range)? thats because they used old code from then since it was not worth the effort to rewrite that.

think about it, for some things , is it worth all of the code writing, R/D, and bugfixing to rewrite some things? even though they had DOHC engines a long time ago (the offy engine), why did OHV stay a standard for so long? it was not economical to reinvent the wheel (or the engine) when OHV got the job done just fine. it was not until there was enough of an advantage that OHC designs hit consumer vehicles. x64 is the same way, for a lot of operating system things, you may be faster, yes, but the gain would be so little that all of the resources needed to make it work at the same reliability rate would be too much trouble.

a good example would be vistrash. look how bad it was... with such a large overhaul, look how much time and energy it took just to fix things (sp1 and sp2). it would have been less powerful but more reliable if they kept the xp base. as seen, xp did what most needed done, the advantages of vista were of little benefit to most.

make sense at all?

edits to address the latest post:

you do get that part. what you are missing is that by writing stuff to be 64 bits but using mostly 32 bit instructions, you are allowing things that DO use 64 bit instructions to run... things like games, CAD programs, graphics apps, etc.

also, it will run slower x64 because all of the 0's need to go somewhere, so they hog up the RAM. or go to the paging file.
          Last edited by ratdude747; 06-25-2011, 03:30 AM.
          sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

If you have more than 4Gb it probably is idle most of the time.
            Don't bet on it. Using virtual machines eats up a lot of RAM. But at least i don't have to worry 'bout no compatibility issues.

[For the average typical PC user I'd say 2Gb.]
            This is true, sans VMWare i can do most of my stuff in 2GB (on my laptops). Though i DO feel the pagefile every once in a while with 2 gigs. 8GB on the main machine and pagefile turned off. I have never seen an "out of memory" message, but i did use up to 7.3GB once. Don't ask me what i was up to. Again, RAM is still cheaper than CPU power.
            Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

RD I was specifically talking about device drivers.
              Win7 64-bit does not support 32-bit drivers at all.
              http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...plications.htm
              Last edited by PCBONEZ; 06-25-2011, 03:41 AM.

-

- Dr Seuss
              -
              -

Comment

RD I was specifically talking about device drivers.
                Win7 does not support 32-bit drivers at all.
                http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...plications.htm
                well, yeah, in the word of cpu's, 00000wow and 0wow are not the same. in 64 bit, ALL 64 bits must have a value. as floating bits are not defined nor defaulted. so ANYTHING 32 bit will not work without translating. windows IIRC will translate programs but not drivers, hence the issue.

what "legacy mode" in the cpu does is add the zeroes. but once you start the computer in a mode, it stays in that mode until reboot. so once you start 64, you have to always be 64.

also, since 7 is a hybred kernel, other things besides the OS may interact with drivers and need 64 bit capabilities

also, there may be bits that making 64 bit and using 64 bit instructions improved performance or functionality enough to warrant changing. but so much does not benefit enough to warrant that it rounds off to double . no big enough to make a large impact on memory usage, but enough to mess up drivers.
                Last edited by ratdude747; 06-25-2011, 03:47 AM.
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Now that the train wreck is over....

coolcurrent, any updates?

-

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  -

Comment

mods could you clean this thread up and put the posts in a 32 vs 64 thread this guy coolcurrent may have already left because of the thread been taken over.
                    My pc
                    CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
                    MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
                    RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
                    PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
                    GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

Yes this 32bit vs. 64bit discussion is interesting. However it is not the purpose of this thread.

Comment

I will avoid getting into such discussions in the future, because they don't change the systems i run in any way and just cause unneeded clutter.

Comment

So obviously what they had last year didn't work and they went right out of business.
                          - It's a WANT, not a need.
                          Ever hear of a factor called growth ?
                          better to keep quiet and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

Comment

Ever hear of when it works don't fix it?
                            Good plan when you run a business.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

i don't understand, how does all these relates to emachines freezing

Comment

None of it does sadly a moderator should move those posts out.

as for your machine coolcurrent have you had any issues with this machine in the past like blue screens and resets?
                                Also go to start Control Panel then Administrative Tools then Event Viewer then windows logs then system and look for any errors regarding disk.
                                Last edited by joshnz; 06-25-2011, 01:00 PM.
                                My pc

Comment

Originally posted by coolcurrent View Post
                                  i don't understand, how does all these relates to emachines freezing
                                  It's not unrelated.
                                  You don't have enough RAM to run Win7 smoothly particularly after you start adding programs to it.
                                  -
                                  You have the minimum requirement which just enough for Win7 to run without adding any[or many] other programs to it.
                                  Pretty much any 'resource happy' program [a bulky anti-virus for example] would be enough to cause your system to freeze.

Try running the system from a live CD and see if it freezes with that.
                                  If it doesn't the issue isn't hardware.
                                  Last edited by PCBONEZ; 06-25-2011, 03:49 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                  -
                                  -

Comment

i opened the laptop, the paste (whitish) on the processor seems to be dried up, what is it usually called, i need to get it and re-paste first.

the laptop is new and virtually have no dust clogging anywhere. thanks

Comment

It is known as
                                      Thermal Compound
                                      Thermal Grease
                                      Thermal Paste
                                      My pc

Comment

It's not unrelated.
                                        You don't have enough RAM to run Win7 smoothly particularly after you start adding programs to it.
                                        -
                                        You have the minimum requirement which just enough for Win7 to run without adding any[or many] other programs to it.
                                        Pretty much any 'resource happy' program [a bulky anti-virus for example] would be enough to cause your system to freeze.

Try running the system from a live CD and see if it freezes with that.
                                        If it doesn't the issue isn't hardware.
                                        the laptop doesn't recognize any CD now. i will try it again after i assemble it.

Comment

Originally posted by joshnz View Post
                                          It is known as
                                          Thermal Compound
                                          Thermal Grease
                                          Thermal Paste
                                          thanks

Comment

Working...
                                          X