ESR / LCR meter recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post

The origins is = Chinese see nice open source design, Chinese copy design and release without source (because they are assholes)
    The original is made by Markus Frejek, then continued by Karl-Heinz Kübbeler to this day: https://www.mikrocontroller.net/arti...ansistortester
    There is also a fork done by another Markus (madires) and his version was linked by stj above, both of these two later designs are current with some different design goals, both are completely open source.

Here is a current version with a confirmed genuine Atmel processor.
    If you choose the "new english" version you get a surface mount processor.
    If you choose the "english" version you get a DIP (through hole) processor.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003678038543.html

Source: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testge...02/#msg5178402
    unfortunatly thats a 32pin package,
    best to find a seller using the 324 or 644, not the 328

Comment

Learned a lot of useful little details.

Comment

its arrived, very slick looking device, tested 2 old caps i had and 3 new caps. shows esr which is what i was after. nice screen on this. iv taken some pics of the inside. main chip doesnt have any markings on it, a crystal oscillator is present. the battery is 300mah uses a jst xh connector and wires are silicone around 22awg. plenty of room inside for bigger battery or other mods but for my usage it should do fine as stock. came pre-charged so i didnt need to plug it in yet.
        the kit it came with had some hook leads and one led, one capacitor and 3 what s look like dupont pins on a rail.
        firmware is 3.12k
        for the price around £10 inc delivery from aliexpress i cant complain.
        check the pics attached.
        what are your thoughts?

also to add, i dont see any sort of lithium charge controller on the board, does this thing just pump power into the battery and rely on the battery's protection board cutting off the power when full?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by slybunda; 01-12-2024, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnCT
          I bought an LC75 brand new in the early 80s, then added a 102 later as I opened another location. When I started contracting, I got rid of the 102. Sometimes too much automation is not our friend - the 75 is much faster. It's like trying to change the temperature on my wife's car - I have to scroll through menus where on my older truck I reach over for the temp knob without even looking at it.

John
          You can do the same with the 102/103, as the 75. You don't have to key in the parameters if you don't want to. Just connect the cap and hit the value button....instant reading. If the value is out of tolerance, you'll know without keying it all in...and if it's that out of whack, no need going any further, replace the cap. If you want to go further with all the in-depth testing (ESR & leakage), you are going to be keying in parameters..
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by slybunda View Post
            its arrived, very slick looking device, tested 2 old caps i had and 3 new caps. shows esr which is what i was after. nice screen on this. iv taken some pics of the inside. main chip doesnt have any markings on it, a crystal oscillator is present.
            what are your thoughts?
            It looks pretty nice, it probably is a LGT8F328 since the markings have been removed, hate that the Chinese muppets do that!
            Just now when writing this post I found your other thread on eevblog so I'll stop here and link that instead:
            https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testge...tester-410146/
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

yep joined that forum too since im now interested in electronics these days.
              i dont see any charge controller chip on the mainboard, i was expecting something like maybe a tp4056, i may have to disconnect the battery and then plug it in on charge and check voltage at the battery terminals on the board and see how high it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by slybunda View Post
                its arrived, very slick looking device, tested 2 old caps i had and 3 new caps. shows esr which is what i was after. nice screen on this. iv taken some pics of the inside. main chip doesnt have any markings on it, a crystal oscillator is present. the battery is 300mah uses a jst xh connector and wires are silicone around 22awg. plenty of room inside for bigger battery or other mods but for my usage it should do fine as stock. came pre-charged so i didnt need to plug it in yet.
                the kit it came with had some hook leads and one led, one capacitor and 3 what s look like dupont pins on a rail.
                firmware is 3.12k
                for the price around £10 inc delivery from aliexpress i cant complain.
                check the pics attached.
                what are your thoughts?

also to add, i dont see any sort of lithium charge controller on the board, does this thing just pump power into the battery and rely on the battery's protection board cutting off the power when full?
                The protection board is integrated in the battery. Look at the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by noppa View Post

The protection board is integrated in the battery. Look at the picture.
                  Yep the battery has its own protection board, was asking if the device itself had some sort of charge controller or if it just relied on the battery protection board cutting charge once it's at its limit.

Comment

rub the chip with IPA,
                    often they dont grind them - they paint them with ink

Comment

Man thats some sly tactics painting over chips.

Comment

Working...
                      X