Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to test small ceramic disc capacitor with analogue meter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to test small ceramic disc capacitor with analogue meter?

I read EBOOK of Testing Electronic Component and found that

"In order to test the small blue resin coated ceramic disk capacitor which has 104 50v specification,it is possible to test this small ceramic capacitor by making use of analogue meter.
    Set to times 10Kohm that has 12v output from the probe to check disorder of ceramic capacitor.
    It is not uncommon that testing result of digital capacitance meter is okay,But It show shorted reading when you check it with analogue meter."

Is it really possible to test small ceramic disc capacitor with analogue meter?

And There is many analogue meter in aliexpress which only need two 1.5v AA size battery or It need 9-volt battery as well as two 1.5v AA size batter.

But In order to 12v output from the probe for testing 10kohm ,should I purchase analogue meter which need two 1.5v AA size battery and 9-volt battery like below analogue meter from aliexpress shop?
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005511902269.html

you can test a ceramic for shorts,
    but the small square ones are multilayer and i never seen one shorted.
    no meter has 12v output btw,
    they only use 2-3v or they would damage chips

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      no meter has 12v output btw,
      they only use 2-3v or they would damage chips
      Thank you very much for reply!
      I heard that some analogue meter make use of 9v battery as well as two 1.5 volt battery in order to measure 10k ohm range resistance.
      I read EBOOK and it says that
      "You have to select your analogue meter to x10K ohm range to test the diode.The output voltage of x10k ohms is about 12 Volt(1.5 volt+1.5 volt+9 volt=12 volt)
      the diode under test should show only one reading,If the meter showed one reading,the diode is good.If it has two readings the most probably the diode is shorted or leaky.The digital meter can't test it because the output from the meter is only about 500mv to 2 volt."

Comment

well that book probably came from 1966,
        was the meter an AVO8?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
          well that book probably came from 1966,
          was the meter an AVO8?
          It is not ancient book which have been published before my birth(I'm in late 30's)
          This book have been published about ten years ago by famous electronics repair engineer from Malaysia.
          and the author of this book used Sunwa YX360TR analogue multimeter as an example

Comment

well if the cap is in-circuit and you put 12v across it then you also put 12v across everything else.
            that probably expects 5v or 3.3v or even less.

Comment

The Fluke 87 DMM I use is powered by a 9V battery, but the voltage for testing resistance is limited to 2V or so. As for testing capacitance, what a DMM can test is best learned from the DMM's specifications. I haven't used my Fluke 87 to test capacitance. AFAIK, an ordinary DMM doesn't test ESR or impedance.
              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

no, multimeters only do a rough capacitance test using current-over-time method to see how much it charges up.

Comment

Working...
                X