Sony Bravia KDL-32L4000 vertical lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony Bravia KDL-32L4000 vertical lines

Haven't opened and taken a look yet, but powered it up and saw some vertical lines. The strange thing about it is that the vertical lines don't appear right away. When first powered up, the screen is clear -- but when you open a menu or see any text display, the vertical lines "bleed" in over 5-10 seconds or so. Also, the top 1/6 of the screen doesn't seem to be affected (the lines only appear in the lower 5/6 of the screen).

Conventional wisdom is that vertical or horizontal lines are indicative of a panel problem, but hoping that there's something that can be done to save it. Attached is a photo after about 15 seconds of being powered on. Is it worth opening and taking a look around?
    Attached Files

Re: Sony Bravia KDL-32L4000 vertical lines

is it under warranty?
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747
      is it under warranty?
      Thanks for the reply. As far as I could tell the warranty for this model is only 1 year, and it was purchased April 2008. Sad to see an LCD TV from a major manufacturer last only 2 years!

Comment

What does a video input picture look like or other input program source look like? I don`t think the pdp is bad. I would check all of youer ribbon cables connections first any patterns are board related and not always pdp related.

Comment

Originally posted by cadiman
          What does a video input picture look like or other input program source look like? I don`t think the pdp is bad. I would check all of youer ribbon cables connections first any patterns are board related and not always pdp related.
          Thanks -- I plan to investigate a little more by opening it up and taking a peek soon. In the meantime, I hooked up a laptop to it via the 15 pin D connector, and here's a couple more pictures of what happens after 5 seconds and 15 seconds of being powered on.
          Attached Files

Comment

I had one of those doing stuff like that to me... and "ghosting" the image.

A new TCON board fixed it.

Comment

Originally posted by blcd
              I had one of those doing stuff like that to me... and "ghosting" the image.

A new TCON board fixed it.
              Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. From what I've read, the TCON board (on this model and serial number range) is integrated into the panel and not replaceable separately. Still hoping to find something else serviceable inside!

Comment

Hello,
                I managed to fix my Sony KDL-32S3000 by changing the tcon-board. It was simple and cost me 30€. According to Sony service the price of repair should have been 250€. The tcon board I got from online-shop was offered as tcon for KDL32S3000 and if I compared the original to the new board the long product-code doesn't even match but TV is working fine. You check the tcon board type from original and search it from online-shops. The repair board I got was definitely used part not new. And Sony doesn't sell these separately from LCD panels. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by spacesnow
                  Hello,
                  I managed to fix my Sony KDL-32S3000 by changing the tcon-board. It was simple and cost me 30€. According to Sony service the price of repair should have been 250€. The tcon board I got from online-shop was offered as tcon for KDL32S3000 and if I compared the original to the new board the long product-code doesn't even match but TV is working fine. You check the tcon board type from original and search it from online-shops. The repair board I got was definitely used part not new. And Sony doesn't sell these separately from LCD panels. Good luck!
                  Thanks spacesnow (hmm.. is that "Space Snow" or "Spaces Now"?). I finally had some time to open it up last night, and found that the TCON is definitely not integrated into the panel like the Sony service manual stated. So far, the cheapest I've been able to find is about $60 shipped... but I think it's worth giving it a shot!

Comment

i have the same problem with mine, im curious did you get that tcon board and if so did that fix the problem ?

Comment

Originally posted by flyman87
                      i have the same problem with mine, im curious did you get that tcon board and if so did that fix the problem ?
                      I have not tried it yet.. I'm trying to find a source that will allow returns just in case it doesn't work. Those who are selling on eBay aren't generally open to returns, or want to charge an exhorbitant "restock fee" (30% or more).

Comment

thats so folks dont waste our time exchanging boards till it plays.
                        make sure of what you need.this is why i dont usually sell parts to the public.

Comment

My mothers KDL-32L4000 has the same problem too. Please post if the TCON solves the problem. Her serial # implies they don't make a TCON for it.

Comment

Originally posted by brianfenst View Post
                            My mothers KDL-32L4000 has the same problem too. Please post if the TCON solves the problem. Her serial # implies they don't make a TCON for it.
                            The TCON did not resolve the issue. Even though the serial number listing in the service manual says a TCON doesn't exist, chances are it does. Can you post a picture of what it's doing?

Comment

Hello
                              I have a unit in with similar issues, wondering if a TCON is going to fix it. Wrog, can you try gently applying pressure to the plastic interconnect tabs coming from the small PCB above the lcd. (must remove metal bezel and support LCD panel if turned upright, otherwise it will fall out!)

These tabs sometimes become defective, apparently the glue fails? They get pretty hot in operation.

There is a thread and videos about the tab bonding issue here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1173106

Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be the issue with my set. I poked at everything trying to illicit a response to no avail. (including all chips, looking for cold joints) Problem persists with inverter unplugged, so the inverter is not causing noise issues as was suggested in a similar thread.

Here is the service manual btw: http://www.scribd.com/doc/21548740/C...00-KDL-37L4000

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by spacesnow View Post
                                Hello,
                                I have a KDL-32L4000 Sony and it has vertical lines across the screen and I would like to replace the TCon Board myself but would like to know if you had a manual telling you how to do it or where I can get one to help me out.

Comment

My KDL-32L4000 Sony has vertical lines across the screen and I would like to replace the T-Con Board myself but I am wondering where I can get a manual showing how to replace the board. Anyone else tried to do this yourself?

Comment

Post #15 has a link to the service manual. Section 1 has disassembly instructions. If you want to post pics of what the TV is doing, I'm sure someone can chime in on if it's likely to be a TCON problem.

Comment

i have a smilar problem on a KDL-40S4100. see attaced pic
                                      Attached Files

Comment

I have this TV, did a bunch of research, and I hope I save the next guy from what I did:

Everyone says it is likely the T-CON board, so I replaced mine, the first one I was sent was either defective (as it appeared from the silk screening) or slightly different than my own. I acquired the exact match for my T-CON board, installed it with ease, yes with ease, it was so simple it isn't even funny, it is more difficult to swap a PC power supply, all of this to no avail.

The above screenshots are carbons of my problem and PAY ATTENTION!!!

YOUR LCD IS RUINED AND NEEDS REPLACED! DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON USELESS T-CON BOARDS, ACCEPT YOU HAVE A MEDIOCRE GARAGE TV AND STOP TRYING TO FIX IT!!

I have already wasted $50 on a diagnostic from a TV repair facility, and $85 on two T-CON boards that did not help at all.

Comment

Working...
                                        X