Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Antec TruePower380 & the Fuhjyyu Syndrome

Those 200v 820uF capacitors..

What size resistor do you all suggest to drain the cap? I've been doing a little reading and don't really want sparks flying. :S

Playing with the PSU is actually pretty darn dangerous. :P
    Say no to Fuhjyyu!

Comment

You don't need to replace the Hitachi caps - they should be fine.

Comment

Cubes, There should already be bleeder resistors across the 820uF caps, so by the time you unplug the P/S, get it out of the computer case and take the cover off, and warm up your soldering iron the 820uF caps should be pretty well discharged. If you want to be sure, you could always go brew a cup of coffee or tea, or you could touch a 10K resistor across each cap. One of those alternatives sounds more enjoyable, . I worked with P/Ss for 25 years, and I'm only a little strange (a pre-existing condition), so it can be done safely.
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubes
          Is it fine to use 6.3v caps in place of 10v items in this case? 'Generally' its ok to use greater voltage but not lesser.
          Absolutely correct... however in the construction process the 2200uF 10v's have either been used for their lower ESR or specific dimensions

Within the PSU 3.3, 5 & 12v are supplied/regulated (as you would already know), I checked that part of the circuit with a volt meter and found it wasn't the 12v line source which FYI was adjacent with 3300uF 16v capacitors IIRC, all in all 6.3v should be more than adequate to 'handle' 3.3 & 5 volts

Good luck with your project

Fuhjyuu
          Viva LA Retro!

Comment

I received the caps last Tuesday from Bigpope.

Recapped the psu only minutes ago and its all looking good. No more cold boot issue, the 5v and 12v rails are back up.

Excellent.

Thanks again Bigpope.
            Say no to Fuhjyyu!

Comment

haven't been here for awhile

Its just a precaution thing, check with a meter....once you have been bitten by one you will know what I mean...almost as good as a 240VAC belt

think cubes was wanting to improve the front end a bit which is why he was thinking of replacing the IP caps with possibly more reliable better quality ones

Good to hear its all working though
              You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

I've checked with a multimeter... All rails are slightly over what they should be apart from the 12v which sits around 11.96-11.98 at 100% load.
                Say no to Fuhjyyu!

Comment

Originally posted by Cubes
                  I've checked with a multimeter... All rails are slightly over what they should be apart from the 12v which sits around 11.96-11.98 at 100% load.
                  Good job, Cubes.
                  My SAMXON Capacitors Database HERE!!

X-CON is a new brand for SAMXON's Polymer Capacitors.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainbow
                    You don't need to replace the Hitachi caps - they should be fine.
                    Thats not Hitachi caps.... That is Fuhjyyu caps. Don be fooled by the brand logo.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian C
                      Thats not Hitachi caps.... That is Fuhjyyu caps. Don be fooled by the brand logo.
                      http://www.fuhjyyu.com.tw/

From the web site, I can't find any info about the HP3 cap. The HP3 should be a Hitachi.

The brand logo of Fuhjyyu look very similar to Hitachi but you can tell the difference upon careful inspection.

Comment

My apology to all. HP3 is hitachi capacitor.

Bty, have anyone of you tried Rubycon MCZ caps before ? It is the upgrade version of previous MBZ series.
                        Last edited by Brian C; 12-26-2006, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Even it is not recommended from Rubycon & most of us here, i have used MCZ in a few PSu`s and on older Socket A boards. Up to now i assume to have no problems with them. The only thing one should be aware of, is the relatively short endurance at higher temps. Thus in one of those "silent but hot" psu`s i would not necesarily use them, if something other like Panasonic FC / Fm or Rubycon ZL, ZLG or YXG is availiable. It all depends what endurance to be expected from the unit.

Comment

Has anyone successfully replaced the 10mm caps with 12.5 mm caps on this power supply? Something about replacing the 3300 and 2200uF caps with new 10mm ones rated for 2000h is unsatisfying to me... besides that you have to jump through hoops to find them.

Comment

Originally posted by MixMasta
                              Has anyone successfully replaced the 10mm caps with 12.5 mm caps on this power supply? Something about replacing the 3300 and 2200uF caps with new 10mm ones rated for 2000h is unsatisfying to me... besides that you have to jump through hoops to find them.
                              Or simply contact the owner of this site
                              Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Mixmasta. Do not worry about the 2000hrs life. This is typical and is the 105C lifetime. This life doubles for every 10C below that level so if you get down to 45C operating the life is 128,000hours!!

Most power supplies that use crap caps also place higher than necessary voltage rating caps, often 16Volt on the 5 volt output and some on the 3.3 volt .

If replacing caps with high quality caps check where the cap is and the colour of the output wires to which it is connected. This can save you getting unnecessary wide diameter caps.

With Orange wires use 6.3V
                                Red wires use 6.3V
                                Yellow use 16V
                                Purple use 6.3V
                                White use 6.3V careful this is a -5V output
                                Blue 16V careful -12V
                                Gigabyte EP45-DS3L Ultra Reliable (Power saver)
                                Intel E8400 (3000Mhz) Bios temps. 4096Mb 800Mhz DDR2 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-12
                                160Gb WD SATAII Server grade
                                Nvidia 8500GT 256Mb
                                160Gb WD eSATAII Server grade for backup.
                                Samsung 18x DVD writer
                                Pioneer 16x DVD writer + 6x Dual layer
                                33 way card reader
                                Windows XP Pro SP3
                                Thermaltake Matrix case with 430W Silent Power
                                17" Benq FP737s LCD monitor
                                HP Officejet Pro K5300 with refillable tanks

Comment

davmax...

Why careful on the -5 and -12v caps?

--------

I was concerned with those big arsed nasty 200v caps sitting inside the psu giving me a boot.

I left the computer disconnected from the mains for 24hrs.

Pulled apart the psu and got the multimeter on those caps. They had almost no charge.
                                  Say no to Fuhjyyu!

Comment

Altered polarity!

Comment

Originally posted by davmax
                                      Mixmasta. Do not worry about the 2000hrs life. This is typical and is the 105C lifetime. This life doubles for every 10C below that level so if you get down to 45C operating the life is 128,000hours!!

Most power supplies that use crap caps also place higher than necessary voltage rating caps, often 16Volt on the 5 volt output and some on the 3.3 volt .

If replacing caps with high quality caps check where the cap is and the colour of the output wires to which it is connected. This can save you getting unnecessary wide diameter caps.

With Orange wires use 6.3V
                                      Red wires use 6.3V
                                      Yellow use 16V
                                      Purple use 6.3V
                                      White use 6.3V careful this is a -5V output
                                      Blue 16V careful -12V

Thanks for this. I bought a bunch of caps from Digikey and Topcat and will be doing some recapping of several power supplies this weekend... I'll try to get some pics.

Comment

Symptoms:
                                        Low 5v and 12v (4.9 and 11.6). Voltage fluctuations during CPU full load.

The bad:
                                        4 x 3300uF 10v Fuhjyyu TMR
                                        2 x 2200uF 16v Fuhjyyu TMR
                                        2 x 1000uF 10v Teapo A3
                                        1 x 470uF 25v Teapo A3

The good:
                                        4 x 3300uF 6.3v Samxon GA
                                        2 x 2200uF 16v Samxon GD
                                        2 x 1200uF 6.3v Panasonic FM
                                        1 x 470uF 16v Panasonic FM

The weapon:
                                        Hakko 936 Soldering Station, Kester 60/40

Results:
                                        5v is 5.03v during full cpu load
                                        12v is 11.88v during full cpu load
                                        These voltages don't fluctuate; they are the same during cpu idle.

Other thoughts:
                                        The Samxon caps are 5 mm shorter then the Fuhjyyu (25mm vs. 30mm).
                                        Though 11.88v is only 1% off spec, how do I get it to be 12v if there are no pots I can adjust?
                                        Last edited by MixMasta; 01-14-2007, 11:31 AM.

Comment

if yall had an ESR meter you could have found them with or without visual inspection. dunno how i lived with out one of these. man i tell ya.

Comment

Working...
                                          X