• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Antec TruePower380 & the Fuhjyyu Syndrome

if you are getting paid $70 an hour then you can afford a PCP&C
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Typical labour rate for automotive here is ~$70/hr and up. I didn't say I was paid that, I said that's what my time is worth. Computer rates, a little cheaper, maybe. Manufacturers who assume my time and effort is worth nothing (as in this case) will not be rewarded with further outlays of my earnings into their revenue base. If you break the seal on the 380 to even check, the warranty is void. Therefore I have to let that expire first or have the thing fail completely. Step up to the plate and offer me compensation/recall/exchange etc. and I may continue to buy. When's the last time you heard that? Exactly.

We are getting a little off target now, but if people keep buying it, cr@p will continue to be produced.

Comment

well i was joking anyway but yes most manufacturers of various products assume your time is worth nothing, its just to find the ones which offer good warranty service.

fact is that many psu manufacturers use fuhjyuu caps but not all have the same problems. whether they are due to design or lack of airflow who knows.

most of the fortron i have bought dont have warranty stickers preventing inspection.

Comment

I wonder if the airflow was better and the fans a bit faster in the Antec units, we'd see less of this happening.
          Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

for instance with OCZ powerswap warranty they will send you a brand new one if your psu fail within 3 years

Comment

Willawake, yes, no problem, I took your comment as intended. I simply wanted to make a point.

My other option to forestall any issues with the pc, is to void the warranty and open the 380 case to see exactly what is going on, and work from there.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                if you are getting paid $70 an hour then you can afford a PCP&C
                i get 125.00/hr onsite and will still rebuild an otherwise sound unit rather than roll the dice on new stuff.the money i save goes right into my retirement fund.
                and a customer will often request i bring one of my rebuilts over rather than a new one!

Comment

i get 125.00/hr onsite
                  i certainly wont say what i get paid now. although i get charged out at $120
                  and yes i like to refurb stuff also thats why i am here
                  Last edited by willawake; 10-14-2006, 04:41 PM.

Comment

I checked my antec PSU 500 smart power and it was putting out 4.8volts on the 5volt rail.

But i think you will find that is within the ATX specs. (minimum is 4.75V)

I Thought this might of been the issue with my DFI not booting up, but 4.8Volts is ok apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by MD Willington
                      I wonder if the airflow was better and the fans a bit faster in the Antec units, we'd see less of this happening.
                      Yes.

Oklahoma Wolf has fan modded CWT's that have good Fuhjyyu's in them.
                      Rest in peace BFG. You were... a job...

Comment

hmm, so.. cool fuhjyyu's are way better than the hot ones.

I checked my antec PSU 500 smart power and it was putting out 4.8volts on the 5volt rail.
                        if it was right from the very beginning when you have that psu than i think it's ok. what would freak me out is if after a second year all the rails are dropping for about 0.2v - 0.4v. that's an indication of bad caps (high esr). i have many simbadda psu's did that.
                        days are so short when you actually do something..

Comment

Originally posted by chow
                          So essentially, assuming my time's worth, say $70 an hour, by the time I've sourced suitable replacement caps and installed them into a unit with aged components, in reality I'm actually further ahead to simply buy a new p/s and exclude Antec from consideration.
                          Except that if you DIY, you know you are getting quality replacement caps, often better quality than you'd find on the new PSU and so the old recapped might last even longer than a new one, plus it reduces landfill, trash.

Does it take an hour though? Not for me if I have the website links and spec sheets to get a part number already. Few minutes to order, 20 minutes tops to disassemble and replace, reassemble, but there's still the parts and shipping cost and if you're doing it at someone else's expense, you are in less trouble if you bought a brand new PSU and it fails, then if you repair a PSu and that one fails. It shifts the blame so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by dingaling

But i think you will find that is within the ATX specs. (minimum is 4.75V)

I Thought this might of been the issue with my DFI not booting up, but 4.8Volts is ok apparently.

Well tell that to my 2100+ Palomino system... it wouldn't run without random shutdowns/reboots until I fixed that Antec, and like the old adage says "Where there's smoke there's fire..." in this case the 3.3v & 12v lines were also impaired by cruddy capacitors and would've further degraded had I not intervened

As for the fans... very low RPM, I suppose they (Antec) wanted to appeal to those whisperquiet PC enthusiasts out there

$70 ~ $120 p/h that'd be nice, I'm afraid the medical/health industry doesn't reward it's employee's so favourably (least not in Oz), people's property & vehicles are worth more than their loved one's health
                            Last edited by tazwegion; 10-19-2006, 12:52 AM.
                            Viva LA Retro!

Comment

Digging up an old thread.. :P

I've got an Antec TruePower 380w that came with my Antec Sonata.
                              The true power comes with only a single fan design for added quietness so they say.

Within 3months the psu went pop and I had it replaced under warranty.

For quite some time now I've been having cold boot issues and drooping 3 & 5v lines.

I got around to cracking open the PSU the other day and noticed leaky caps. argg.

I've recapped mainboards before so this psu will definitely be getting recapped as apart from the leaky caps antec make a great PSU. I'll also be throwing a decent fan in it as airflow is rather minimal with its 'quiet' fan.

Tazwegion, I noticed your true power has rubycon on the input, mine doesn't I have 2 flat black looking caps with no markings apart from 200v.
                              Last edited by Cubes; 12-11-2006, 05:14 PM.
                              Say no to Fuhjyyu!

Comment

I have 2 flat black looking caps with no markings apart from 200v.
                                Do they have shrink-sleeving on them? That could be covering the brand markings and value.
                                PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                  Do they have shrink-sleeving on them? That could be covering the brand markings and value.
                                  Possible.. I will have a better look when I recap it.

----------

Regarding the 3300uF caps. Mine original 3300uFcaps are 10v items not 6.3's as listed by the op as replacement caps.

Is it fine to use 6.3v caps in place of 10v items in this case? 'Generally' its ok to use greater voltage but not lesser.

The only issue with the 3300uF 10v caps is they are 12mm vs 10mm for the 6.3v item. I'm sure I could squeeze them in though.
                                  Say no to Fuhjyyu!

Comment

I just had another quick look.

It appears they are HP3 Hitachi AIC / Boston AIC caps.

820uF 200vdc.
                                    Say no to Fuhjyyu!

Comment

cubus
                                      Putting decent quality caps on the mains side wouldn't be a bad idea....be prepared to possibly pay a bit for them thought if you are in oz
                                      and you source from the bigger two suppliers (world wide) here

I wonder at the term "Flat" Black

but as PeteS said could be heat shrink
                                      You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Flat black is black that is not shiny. A dull looking non shiny black. :P
                                        http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...G=Search&meta=

I'm not well versed when it comes to capacitors or any electronics to be honest. The Antec PSU I have runs 2 x 200v 820uF caps. The power here is 240volts, I'm assuming Antec runs 2 x 200v caps instead of 1 more expensive 400v cap?

I checked out a review of a Corsair PSU, that too apparently ran Hitachi HP3 Caps on the mains side, but just a single big fat one.
                                        Last edited by Cubes; 12-12-2006, 01:50 AM.
                                        Say no to Fuhjyyu!

Comment

Ok with you now..... flat a is flat paint look not description of how it looks

Yes you can all get up now

OK well it depends on the design of the supply as to what caps they use.
                                          (or for that matter how they are used)

Cubes I am from OZ so yep 240 V AC RMS

if its got 820 uF caps then its got big caps so thats cool

Hitachi HP3 aren't bad caps from what I read here
                                          (ok not the greatest but not bad)

Caps on the mains side are not as critical and don't need to be super uBuet caps but it doesn't hurt if you intent to keep the supply going for a long time or pushing it to the limits and want a little better reliability

You will note as you look through the PSU piccie post that a lot don't have that size cap on the mains primary side.

The mains primary side is the most DEADLY side of it too so be careful if you replace them.

If you haven't I suggest you read PeteS FAQ

Seems a lot of suppliers are now changing the stock lines to RoHS type components so its a bit hard to get a good idea of price.

anyway pm you a couple of links to browse through to get an idea
                                          You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you may be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins ...

Comment

Working...
                                          X