Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Compaq CQ58-d33SZ Caps Lock blink 3 times

This is what i just found out
    When the CPU is in the socket but the laptop is not powered on ALL capacitors around from the bottom side are in short, when i power on the laptop only the three marked on the picture are in short. When i take off the CPU no capacitor is in short...
    I guess it is the CPU that is causing the short?

https://ibb.co/pn4TYmM

Comment

Also the one i removed previously i put it pack and it is not in short when i power on the laptop but is in short when cpu is in the socket but not powered on..

Comment

Resistance on the cpu power rail is really low and some multimeters beep in diode mode if the threshold is somewhat high. There is a huge capacitance with low esr caps on the rail. The "short" will go away when those are charged up.

You don't measure resistance while the board is turned on, right? Never do that.

Theres one easy way to tell if a cpu is shorted or not.
        cpu vcore present -> not shorted.
        cpu vcore not present and cpu draws a lot of current and heats up extremely when injecting power from a bench supply -> shorted.
        Last edited by KvnTM; 11-03-2019, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KvnTM View Post
          Resistance on the cpu power rail is really low and some multimeters beep in diode mode if the threshold is somewhat high. There is a huge capacitance with low esr caps on the rail. The "short" will go away when those are charged up.

You don't measure resistance while the board is turned on, right? Never do that.

Theres one easy way to tell if a cpu is shorted or not.
          cpu vcore present -> not shorted.
          cpu vcore not present and cpu draws a lot of current and heats up extremely when injecting power from a bench supply -> shorted.
          Yeah i measured voltage to check when i turned it on
          So when i plug the charger the capacitors on the bottom side of the cpu are 0v, when i turn it on there is 1.05v and 1.10v
          The CPU is not overheating

Comment

So the cpu ist most likely fine and not shorted.
            I think this question is dumb but have you tested the ram in another machine and tested only one stick in one slot at a time?

Comment

So the cpu ist most likely fine and not shorted.
              I think this question is dumb but have you tested the ram in another machine and tested only one stick in one slot at a time?
              Yes i tested the ram sticks on another laptop, they are working fine. Also tested one stick at a time on the both slots and the 3 blinks are still there..
              So if it is not the cpu then i must be the ram slots or the bios right?
              I can resolder the ram slots pins one by one and try it, and when i get thebios programmer i will try that too.
              Any other suggestion?

Comment

check pin30 of dimm slot for DRAMRST signal. It should be 1.5V for ddr3 ram and 1.35V for ddr3-L ram. You probably dont have this signal present as well as gfxcore is likely to be missing. Is there corrosion on ram slots??

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                  check pin30 of dimm slot for DRAMRST signal. It should be 1.5V for ddr3 ram and 1.35V for ddr3-L ram. You probably dont have this signal present as well as gfxcore is likely to be missing. Is there corrosion on ram slots??
                  No, there is no liquid damage anywhere on the board. I measured the cpu core voltage on the bottom side of the cpu socket as i mentioned before there is 1.10v and 1.05v. I will check the voltage on the 30th pin and i will tell you.

Comment

You already mentioned that there was 1.49V on the caps next to the ram slots. This should be the supply voltage which is fine.

Comment

1.53v are present on the 30th pin only when the board i powered on

Comment

You already mentioned that there was 1.49V on the caps next to the ram slots. This should be the supply voltage which is fine.
                        Yes that is the voltage, i have no idea what else to check

Comment

The memory controller in your CPU could be damaged but i highly doubt it.
                          Those older socketed CPUs rarely fail. I never had one failing even with test CPUs that fly across tables and get thrown into boxes.
                          Newer intel SoC's have a much higher failure rate. Especially the PCH's.

You could try to flash the bios but that most likely won't fix it. I also doubt that the memory connectors have bad solder joints. Both of them failing together is unlikely.

Is there any physical damage on the cpu socket? Did someone already try to "reflow" anything on that board?

Comment

Those older socketed CPUs rarely fail. I never had one failing even with test CPUs that fly across tables and get thrown into boxes.

You could try to flash the bios but that most likely won't fix it. I also doubt that the memory connectors have bad solder joints. Both of them failing together is unlikely.

Is there any physical damage on the cpu socket? Did someone already try to "reflow" anything on that board?
                            I can not see physical damage on the cpu socket but i can see someone tryed to clean it before me, there were traces of some cleaning liquid. I cleaned it again with alcohol just in case it had dirt.

Comment

These marked show up as short on multimeter when the ac in not plugged in an the cpu is not in the socket

https://ibb.co/TTkPBVB
                              https://ibb.co/X2cbt8m

Comment

Originally posted by dmmitrevski View Post
                                These marked show up as short on multimeter when the ac in not plugged in an the cpu is not in the socket

https://ibb.co/TTkPBVB
                                https://ibb.co/X2cbt8m
                                Thats normal.

Comment

Thats normal.
                                  Everything seems working yet it does not work

Comment

have you test in your RAM slot
                                    pin 1 126 VREF DQ / VREF CA
                                    pin 199 VDDSPD
                                    pin 203 204 VTT1 VTT2
                                    pin 75 VDD1

Comment

Originally posted by techtiger View Post
                                      pin 199 VDDSPD
                                      pin 203 204 VTT1 VTT2
                                      pin 75 VDD1
                                      No i do not have osciloscope neither i know someone having at my place, just ordinary digital multimeter. The last thing i can do is flash the BIOS when i get the programmer

Comment

you can test it with multimetre for supply

Comment

Originally posted by techtiger View Post
                                          pin 199 VDDSPD
                                          pin 203 204 VTT1 VTT2
                                          pin 75 VDD1

pin 1 - 0v but pin 2 - 0.8v
                                          pin 126 - 0.79
                                          pin 199 - 0.8v
                                          pin 203 - 0v
                                          pin 204 - 0.76v
                                          pin 75 - 0v bu 76 - 0.79v

Comment