Kr7a-133r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kr7a-133r

I was playing with my KR7A-133R trying to get sleep to work in S3 and tried a different power supply... upon hooking it up and powering up a smelt some smoke so I unplugged it.... I inspected it to find no visual damage... I hooked the old psu and it don't boot.... any suggestions???

yes I'll throw out that one psu that killed it

Re: Kr7a-133r

post pics of the bad psu.
    was it a bestec?

Comment

damn, you must be good yes it was bestec 200watt'er

Comment

R.I.P mobo

Comment

so no revive methods?

Comment

Bestec power supplies tend to fry the Southbridge. That was what was burning to cause the smoke smell (most likely). The Southbridge is the big chip usually near the last few expansion slots. It is just about impossible to replace that chip. Even if someone has the tools and the experience to replace the chip, the only place you will be able to get one that is exactly the same is from another motherboard in which case you may as well use that motherboard.

Comment

Deja vu all over again...

Those Bestec comments are spot-on. I have seen EXACTLY those same problems, including the fried Southbridge. Most of the dead boards in my bin are related to Bestec failures.

I have an F.U.D. campaign going on now with all my clients, to replace their aging power supplies before they kill their boards.

Comment

I just looked at an E-Machine that I got last week.

Bestec power supply. Toasted board. _NO_ burns by either bridge (north or south).

However, the bios chip itself had cooked. The sticker on it was buckled and warped.

Need to send a broadcast to customres.

Comment

yeah I think thats where this psu came from... an emachine had a fried south bridge nForce2 chipset really to bad...

however I assume was something else... and had tested out the psu with a dmm at one point so I dunno..... anyway next time I know....

Comment

The main problem with a Digital Multi-Meter is that it only shows the average voltage. You can not see the ripple in the voltage. An oscilloscope would be ideal, however I don't think too many people have one. They can be fairly expensive and bulky.

Comment

I have a nice expensive Fluke hand-held oscilloscope - I had to send it back, and they fixed it for free. (was within warranty)

My father has it right now, because he has more use for it. I'm not sure how to even use the sucker

Comment

Originally posted by djpc47
                        yeah I think thats where this psu came from... an emachine had a fried south bridge nForce2 chipset really to bad...
                        I inherited a client with a group of home-rolled systems and BESTEC power supplies. The PSU was some funky non-standard type with an oddball fan box at the external rear side.

This one killed a beautiful MSI K7N2 Delta2 board, and roasted the south bridge. I found it easier to throw away the case and power supply, and put the remaining machines in standard cases.

Comment

I don't know about other Bestecs but the most common model of Bestec 250w unit fries motherboard chipsets right and left.
                          Emachines was sued over the matter. (And lost I think.)

Those particular PSU's were originally built for OEM's only.
                          In addition to Emachines they ended up in some Gateway, HP, and Dell? systems.
                          Later on they started showing up as genaric "xxxxx (brand) replacements".

Mann-Made Global Warming.
                          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                          -
                          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                          -

Comment

I saw a Bestec in a Dell Inspiron 531 system. My jaw dropped when I saw it. It's getting more difficult to recommend a value system that doesn't require parts to be replaced in order to last more than 2-3 years.

Bestec = Worstec

Comment

Working...
                            X