Dell 2007FPb - help identify replacement diode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell 2007FPb - help identify replacement diode

Okay, I picked this monitor sometime last year and I lacked the equipment to work on it until now. I already identified all the shorted components (several), but can't figure out the markings for FD4 (diode).

It says S4 65A and a company symbol. It is 3mm x 6mm.

Ignore the soldering on C4. I removed the cap and didn't clear out the holes yet.
    Attached Files
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Re: Dell 2007FPb - help identify replacement diode

Good morning.
    I believe it to be a S4 schottky diode - hahaha tell you something you didnt know!!!

Anyway I think the symbol is General Semiconductors Inc /Ltd/Co or whatever and it is now taken over by Vishay.

"Vishay Semiconductors includes the former Vishay Telefunken product lines, the former General Semiconductor product lines, the infrared component product lines acquired from Infineon Technologies, and selected product lines acquired from International Rectifier (excluding planar high-voltage MOSFETs)."

Further than that I cannot say - hope it helps.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Hi,

Firstly thanks for posting very clear photos and providing a good description it really helps us understand how to help you :-)

Is the attachment of any help?
      Attached Files
      Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
      Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Jasgriff View Post
        Is the attachment of any help?
        Thanks, 1N4004 is S4. Now off to the junk pile to look for a replacement.

PS. It took way more time to angle the board into the sun than it took to write post #1. I guess I could have rotated it 90 to make the markings upright (something PlainBill would have me for not doing).
        Last edited by retiredcaps; 04-14-2012, 06:53 AM. Reason: humour
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
          Anyway I think the symbol is General Semiconductors Inc /Ltd/Co or whatever and it is now taken over by Vishay.
          All I know about Vishay is that I heard they make some very good high end precision resistors.

Thanks for the corporate history.
          --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

There are a lot of people missing plain bill on here. I hope all is well with him. I'm guessing his other half has more than likely been turning off is PC whenever he goes near it.

As a matter of curiosity what equipment were you eating for to get this repair underway?

No probs on the PDF. I hope its the right one.

Comment

As a matter of curiosity what equipment were you eating for to get this repair underway?
              The local electronics store here prices things like the CDN dollar is NOT at par with the USD dollar and there is no such thing as the Internet (i.e. competition).

As such, the Hakko FX-888 was being sold for $140 CDN + taxes. In the USA, Fry's Electronics had the same item as low as $65 USD. So I have been using sort by lowest price ebay soldering 30W/40W irons will fairly good success (around $4 USD).

To fix this lcd, there are at least 5 SMD type of components that I have to remove (the 3A SMD fuse in the picture is blown which is why I had to remove the cap). At least 2 of them are sot-223. The $4 ebay irons failed miserably at removing sot-223 components on junk boards.

Then the local electronics store had a sale and the Hakko FX-888 was priced at $88.88 CDN. With all the positive reviews, I decided to "invest" in a solder station that would last me, hopefully, 20+ years.

The various Hakko clones on ebay were in the $60 to $80 range so I figured why not get the real Hakko for small premium versus the clones. Now if the Hakko clones were $20, I might not have purchased the FX-888.

Safety was another reason to go with a real Hakko. I have read many reports/teardowns on eevblog about the clones not having the ground wire properly installed or insulated. Dave's Hakko FX-888 (episode 242) hack also showed how well it was built. I also loved the blue/yellow color of the Hakko FX-888 versus the generic black.

Having said all that, ironically, after experimenting with my friend's heatgun, I think I may remove the sot-223 components with that while using kapton tape to protect the surrounding components. I'm waiting for my roll of 100 feet kapton tape to arrive from China.
              Last edited by retiredcaps; 04-14-2012, 07:39 AM.
              --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Ahhhh,

Nice to see your investing. Hopefully a few more monitors will now fall your way to allow you to pay back the investment! I have a pace rework station which is a fantastic nit of kit but the tips a can be 20 - 30 pounds each. Is also heavy so choose to use an adjustable Weller that does the job. If I didn't have either of these I would go with the hakko as they have really cheap replacement tips.

I really find covering the smds in solder allows them to come off really easily. I don't use flux either as you just want it to stay as a or blob. Either way I'm sure you will do a good job.

I know you are stuck for the price of bits over there but if you ever need any one to send you stuff from the UK I'm sure there are a number of us that will be only to happy to help.

Comment

Took a look at our old friend eBay and S4 looks to be 1A 40V schottky diode. The 1N4000 series are standard diodes and may not be fast enough.

Comment

Hopefully a few more monitors will now fall your way to allow you to pay back the investment!
                    Actually I didn't buy the FX-888 just for this monitor. I have a 22 inch that needs a new eeprom (8 pin IC SMD), 17 inch lcd with a bad voltage regulator (sot-223), 26 inch LCD TV with a bad inverter transformer, 3 ATX power supplies that need recapping, 4 Dell power supplies that need recapping, and a couple of motherboards that need various things.

I have a pace rework station which is a fantastic nit of kit but the tips a can be 20 - 30 pounds each.
                    I only know Pace from their videos on youtube (which by the way are excellent).

http://www.youtube.com/user/paceworldwide/videos

Then I looked at the price of the Pace solder tips for their universal solder iron (PS-90) and they are like $35 CDN each!!!
                    --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Your help and knowledge alone if fantastic I would just love to see you get all these outstanding jobs boxed off so that you can continue to help so many people. 8 pin smd`s are easy when they re not important but hard when they are. Either way you learn by your mistakes some would say you learn more by your mistakes.

Budm doesn't have loads fixed monitors and spare ccfl`s in his pictures because he fixes everything :-)

I don't know of anyone in here using the pace. I'm lucky to have it but still don't use it. If I could fix things for a living then I'm sure it would be amazing.

Comment

Hi, I also have been searching for the diodes above...

On my boards the part number is S4 78A, while on Budm's teardown post they were S4 66A.
                        On an eBay search for "S4 Diode" there are two part numbers that come up:

SD103AWS and 1N5819 both are 1A 40v Schottky.

Does anyone know if i can use either part or is one preferential to the other?
                        many thanks.

Comment

Hmmm .....

Originally posted by koru View Post
                          SD103AWS and 1N5819 both are 1A 40v Schottky.
                          They are in different package/case type:
                          SD103AWS = SOD-323
                          1N5819 = DO-41

The ones that you need is probably SD103AWS = SOD-323 ... Please verify the datasheet.

Comment

I have raised a query with Budm - I am not sure either are suitable
                            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

1A 40V SCHOTTKY, they use 2 of them in parallel to increase the current handling, but when you put two Diode in parallel without using small value resistor in series with each Diode for balancing the load current (when you put two diode in parallel, the one with lower Vf will conduct, the one with higher will not be bias on, so one diode will actually takes all the load. I would get the 2A if you can, this is common failure in this monitor. They have to match the Vf if they want to use to diode in parallel. The Diode is made by VISHAY.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...07fpb+teardown
                              Last edited by budm; 12-04-2012, 10:56 PM.
                              Never stop learning
                              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Hi I think this one might be suitable DB2141300L I think RS online new zealand have them but you have to buy 10

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                                  Hi I think this one might be suitable DB2141300L I think RS online new zealand have them but you have to buy 10

You can also get a vishey one in 2A if you go tohere:
                                  http://www.vishay.com/diodes/list/product-85682/ then
                                  click on download selector guide it has them all.

Comment

Hello Guys,
                                    I am trying to repair the power board of my monitor (it is also a 2007fpb) and it seems a capacitor is destroyed.
                                    I want to replace it but the values are destroyed aswell. Can anyone tell me the value of capacitor C601? It is the only rectangular capacitor in the board. Or if someone has the scheme of this board it would also help.
                                    Best regards

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ht=dell+2007fp
                                      Where is this cap at? sub power supply board, main power supply, etc?
                                      Pictures?
                                      Last edited by budm; 01-26-2015, 12:38 PM.
                                      Never stop learning
                                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Thanks for the fast answer

I think this is the PSU.

I attached the photos.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X