X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bluto
    replied
    Re: Dim Clock LCD on Jenn-Air wall oven

The solder joint on the other side of the capacitor doesn't look too good either. You might want to touch it up too. Hopefully doing that will bring life back to your clock.

Leave a comment:

• davnjax
    replied

Thanks for the advice. I have bridged over the bad copper trace. Now the top oven is working but no display or lower oven function. I'm wondering if the ribbon cable is not seated quite right. Great advice on practicing on an old board and watching you tube videos. I'm sure practice will help. I'm not ready to give up so will try what you've suggested.

I'm retired now and used to have the benefit of working with wonderfully talented technical people that could point me in the right direction to fix/resolve problems. This forum is wonderful, thanks so much.
    Jackie

Leave a comment:

• ratdude747
    replied

Originally posted by bluto View Post

Try watching some youtube video videos on soldering too!
    I have a few good ones on my channel I made a while back:

Capacitor installation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op-UQLcH5Rc&feature=plcp

Desoldering braid usage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L4iv_m0ZgE&feature=plcp

Radio shack desoldering iron usage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt5liP59jBY&feature=plcp

There is another method I like using a thin metal pick... sometime I'll have to make that video using my special "solder cam" rig I built.

Leave a comment:

• bluto
    replied

Some more advice that is given often on this site: Find some other electronic device that is no longer working and practice soldering on it. Remove some of the components and re-solder them back in place. Your joints should look like all the others. Once you are more comfortable with your soldering skills, then you can make another attempt on the piece that you are trying to fix.

Try watching some youtube video videos on soldering too!

Leave a comment:

• ben7
    replied

Originally posted by davnjax View Post
    where is the broken copper trace (trying to learn, not questioning your response). Does this mean I just anty up and buy a new board? I'd really like a working oven even if I have to pay the price. And, how do I avoid breaking a copper trace - I want to fix my daughter's oven and not mess it up like I did mine
    Thanks, Jackie
    Here it is. Just use a thin piece of wire (like from a component lead) to bridge the gap there, and solder it in good. That should fix your problems!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• davnjax
    replied

where is the broken copper trace (trying to learn, not questioning your response). Does this mean I just anty up and buy a new board? I'd really like a working oven even if I have to pay the price. And, how do I avoid breaking a copper trace - I want to fix my daughter's oven and not mess it up like I did mine
    Thanks, Jackie

Leave a comment:

• ben7
    replied

The capacitor seems tight as do the other connections on the board. I'm wondering if my problem is the ribbon cable because that connects the board to the touch panel. How do I know that the cable is well seated (pushed far enough in)? Also, is there a fuse that I might have popped because I'm thinking I disconnected or connected when the power was on once. I have attempted to attach a picture of the soldier joints. The joints aren't as flat
    on the board as the originals - is that my problem? Is there a way I can get them to flow to the board better?
    Thanks, Jackie
    Ah! no wonder why it isn't working, you broke a copper trace.

Leave a comment:

• davnjax
    replied

The capacitor seems tight as do the other connections on the board. I'm wondering if my problem is the ribbon cable because that connects the board to the touch panel. How do I know that the cable is well seated (pushed far enough in)? Also, is there a fuse that I might have popped because I'm thinking I disconnected or connected when the power was on once. I have attempted to attach a picture of the soldier joints. The joints aren't as flat
    on the board as the originals - is that my problem? Is there a way I can get them to flow to the board better?
    Thanks, Jackie
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ben7
    replied

I have reconnected and all seem to be tightly coupled. I even had a friend check to see if he could find something easy that I had missed on the connections. My first reaction is that the ribbon cable isn't connected but that seems tight as well. The oven light on the exterior input panel does control the oven light, not sure if that goes through ribbon cable and board.
    Maybe you have a bad solder joint somewhere on the board.

Leave a comment:

• davnjax
    replied

I have reconnected and all seem to be tightly coupled. I even had a friend check to see if he could find something easy that I had missed on the connections. My first reaction is that the ribbon cable isn't connected but that seems tight as well. The oven light on the exterior input panel does control the oven light, not sure if that goes through ribbon cable and board.

Leave a comment:

• ben7
    replied

I am new to this forum. I replaced the C3 capacitor in my Jenn Air wall oven board (modelww27430p). Before the replacement, the oven would work even though there was no display to show the temp, etc. The clock displayed dimly. After the repair I can't get oven to even start, nothing beeps when I press the buttons to start a function and no clock. I tested the extra 68uf 35v capacitor (purchased from DigiKey) and get the same ohm reading with both the unused capacitor and the one on the board so it would seem that the one on the board is connected. Any suggestions on what I can do next to fix this issue? I purchased all the capacitors listed in one of the first messages in this thread. I am confident of the polarity on the capacitor as the orientation is the same as it was originally.
    Check to make sure all the connectors are connected up tightly.

Leave a comment:

• davnjax
    replied

I am new to this forum. I replaced the C3 capacitor in my Jenn Air wall oven board (modelww27430p). Before the replacement, the oven would work even though there was no display to show the temp, etc. The clock displayed dimly. After the repair I can't get oven to even start, nothing beeps when I press the buttons to start a function and no clock. I tested the extra 68uf 35v capacitor (purchased from DigiKey) and get the same ohm reading with both the unused capacitor and the one on the board so it would seem that the one on the board is connected. Any suggestions on what I can do next to fix this issue? I purchased all the capacitors listed in one of the first messages in this thread. I am confident of the polarity on the capacitor as the orientation is the same as it was originally.

Leave a comment:

• bluto
    replied

Post some pictures. It may be possible to see what is wrong. Also double check the obvious things like making sure the connectors are all securely connected and oriented in the right direction.

Leave a comment:

• davnjax
    replied

I attempted to replace the C3 capacitor in my jenn air ww27430p double oven. Before I did the "repair", the clock display was visible and I could use the timer and ovens. After my "repair", I get nothing. No display at all and there are no beeps when I try to press the buttons to start an oven. The capacitor I put in was from digikey 68uf 35v. I bought more than one capacitor because my daughter's range has the same problem. I get the same readings with an ohm meter on my board as I get from a capacitor I have not installed. Any suggestions how I trouble shoot this? I was so excited to fix this oven for a reasonable price. I have had a few circuitry classes when I was working on my comp sci degree(years ago, I'm now retired so you know it's been a while) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (I'm new to the forum) Thanks

Leave a comment:

• olamp
    replied

I just did this repair before finding this website. If you look at each cap while it's mounted you will see a heavy black line on the board next to the negative stripe on the cap indicating polarity. Making sure these two indicators match up when installing the new cap makes it goofproof.

Leave a comment:

• BobK
    replied

I had the same prob. with my Jenn-air wall mount oven Model # W156.
    It has a slightly different PCM board than what has been dicussed here but I thought I'd try to recap it.

The problems were the digital readout was going dim, at times needing a "TAP" to come back on.

Finally the readout went blank and didn't come back on.

here is the oven.

The digital readout after removal from the oven.

The touch screen buttons are connected to the board via this ribbon. It simply pulls out to disconnect.

The date code reads 9223 which equals 1992, week 23 of the year.

Here are my soldering jobs. Except for the 1st cap I replaced(guess which one) The soldering job looks o.k.

I replaced all 5 of the caps that were on the board. The 2 large ones are rated at 105c 1000uf at 35v. the smaller cap by the pins on the right side is 105c, 0.47uf at 50v

2nd of 3 of the 105c,0.47uf, 50v cap

3 of 3 of the 105c,0.47uf, 50v cap on the left and one cap rated at 105c, 47uf at 35v on the right.

Old cap. All 5 had no signs of leakage or bulging.

So I reinstalled everything and it works great!

Total fix cost...$3.23 in caps,$2.80 shipping via the postal service. Got the parts from Digi-Key
    www.digikey.com
    The cheapest replacement board was $260 and the most expensive was about $360.00
    I thought spending $3.23 for caps was worth a try. I had nothing to loose and at the least $257 to gain.

The wife is back in the kitchen where she belongs

I Just want to thank the board for the great info.

Bob.
    Last edited by BobK; 03-07-2012, 10:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PCBONEZ
    replied

NTE are rebranded generic Chinese junk.
    It will last a while but you'll be doing it again.

Leave a comment:

• bvig
    replied

Thank you for all the great information in this thread. If you are reading this and afraid to replace the badcap, don't be. You can do it. Just be aware of the positive and negative sides of the caps (see video below)

I moved into a house which had a "Dim display" Jenn-Air double oven model JJW9630AAW.

1. Purchased a cap from Fry's Electronics for replacement of C3 cap. Used 100uF 35v (High Temp) 105 deg.

Mfr: NTE, Model: VHT100M35, FRYS.com #1005393, UPC: 768249103936

2. Purchased solder iron ~$15, 35Watt cheapest version
    3. Purchased solder ~$3
    4. Turned off power to Oven from breaker panel
    5. Removed oven faceplace (see other pictures in previous threads). I took digital picture of board before I did anything (just in case for reference).
    6. Used sharpie to mark back side of C3
    7. Watched youtube videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCSNWi3UHf4 "Cap Replacement"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieoM_40nRVs "How to solder"

8. Removed bad cap, added new cap w/ negative side matching other caps
    9. Bingo, works like a charm

Leave a comment:

• BobDel
    replied

Hi All, great thread, my stove display went dark about 5 years ago and drives me nuts. The caps from DigiKey arrived today and hopefully by tomorrow I will be able to see what my stove is actually doing for the first time in awhile. Thanks for all the info!
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• retiredcaps
    replied

Originally posted by buni View Post
    Well, I tried it too -- went ahead and replaced all 4 of the caps --- and now nothing works.
    1) Caps have polarity (positive and negative). Check to see that you put it in right.

2) Check your soldering. Give the caps a gentle tug. They should be held in firmly.

3) Post a clear focused picture of your work and maybe we can tell you if the solder is good or not. See my sig file below for instructions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X