X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rgronevelt
    replied
    Re: Dim Clock LCD on Jenn-Air wall oven

30 minutes of reading, and 30 minutes to repair….thanks to this forum I just saved a couple hundred bucks. I was so close to ordering the new board before I stumbled across this topic. Thanks everyone. Now I can justify that new iPhone.

Leave a comment:

• bluto
    replied

Congratulations on the repair. As for the remaining issues, make sure all your connectors are seated properly. In regards to the fan running all the time, that has been discussed in this thread: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15001
    There is no solution yet.

Leave a comment:

• davnjax
    replied

Thanks to this forum my own Jenn-Air is working fine. I ordered enough caps to fix my daughter's dim display as well. We replaced 2 caps (same brand, etc as the C4) and now everything works except that the fan runs constantly and timer 1 doesn't work. Timer 1 is no big deal but the fan is a problem. I can't find the circuit info on her stove to see what might be affecting the fan. Any suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• waynetk
    replied

Originally posted by Cougar View Post
    I'm not sure if replacing the other caps also will fix your particular problem since you say the clock part works ok. It wouldn't cost you much to replace all of them and see what happens. If it doesn't work you should be able to replace the board for around 240 dollars.

You might also try cleaning the ribbon cable connections to see if that helps. Pushing down on the end taps of the connector is supposed to release the cable.
    HI, I finally did what everyone else was saying so I replaced all 4 capacitors and now everything works. I can see both the clock and the right side of the display which shows the oven temp and selected functions. This saved me lots of money, cost me less than $6 for the parts and shipping. Thanks everyone for your generous help.

Leave a comment:

• ncredbird
    replied

Originally posted by ncredbird View Post
    I purchased my Jenn Air downdraft used as a replacement for a non working stove when we did some kitchen remodeling 3 years ago. It has functioned flawlessly until recently when the display went dark but is still functional. I just ordered parts listed above and am hopeful that I can get this baby fixed as the replacement board alone would cost me more than I paid for the stove itself. Just a side note here, I am a 60 year old woman whose only soldering experience has been with stained glass but I am going to give it a shot anyway. Will post back with results.
    Whooo Hooooo!!! It is working again! Everything was done following the instructions and illustrations on this forum and I thank you all for the details and encouragement. Original post was in August and life got in the way until I couldn't avoid getting this done when we sold our house and didn't want the home inspector to write me up. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• ben7
    replied

He did do that and even cleaned the connections; unfortunately that isn't the trouble. We got close to fixing it. He may now end up replacing the unit since it is getting fairly old.
    Check for solder bridges, and add some fresh solder to every joint.

Leave a comment:

• Cougar
    replied

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
    Make sure the connector that connects the keypad to the circuit board is fully seated.
    He did do that and even cleaned the connections; unfortunately that isn't the trouble. We got close to fixing it. He may now end up replacing the unit since it is getting fairly old.
    Last edited by Cougar; 08-23-2012, 10:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ben7
    replied

Well, replacing capacitor C3 fixed the display problem but now the front panel control buttons aren't working for some reason.
    Make sure the connector that connects the keypad to the circuitboard is fully seated.

Leave a comment:

• Cougar
    replied

Well, replacing capacitor C3 fixed the display problem but now the front panel control buttons aren't working for some reason.

Leave a comment:

• Cougar
    replied

Originally posted by waynetk View Post
    Hi, I'm having problems with the portion my Jenn-Air oven display (Mdl WM27460W). The "clock" side of the display seems good but the side that shows the oven temp, etc. is not showing anything. Weill replacing the capacitors solve this problem? Thanks.
    I'm not sure if replacing the other caps also will fix your particular problem since you say the clock part works ok. It wouldn't cost you much to replace all of them and see what happens. If it doesn't work you should be able to replace the board for around 240 dollars.

You might also try cleaning the ribbon cable connections to see if that helps. Pushing down on the end taps of the connector is supposed to release the cable.
    Last edited by Cougar; 08-19-2012, 06:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cougar
    replied

A friend of mine asked me to help him with his Jenn-Air oven display. Apparently the display went out on his range but everything works as it should except for the display. This is the third time the trouble has happened and he has replaced the board twice with a cost of over 200 dollars for each repair. After searching the net a little for some info on the PC board I came across this site and signed up. We will try replacing capacitor C3 and see what happens. After reading the posts here it seems that will fix him up ok. I will send in a update with the results after a new cap is installed. Thanks for the help here fellas.

Leave a comment:

• waynetk
    replied

Hi, I'm having problems with the portion my Jenn-Air oven display (Mdl WM27460W). The "clock" side of the display seems good but the side that shows the oven temp, etc. is not showing anything. Weill replacing the capacitors solve this problem? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• ncredbird
    replied

I purchased my Jenn Air downdraft used as a replacement for a non working stove when we did some kitchen remodeling 3 years ago. It has functioned flawlessly until recently when the display went dark but is still functional. I just ordered parts listed above and am hopeful that I can get this baby fixed as the replacement board alone would cost me more than I paid for the stove itself. Just a side note here, I am a 60 year old woman whose only soldering experience has been with stained glass but I am going to give it a shot anyway. Will post back with results.

Leave a comment:

• bluto
    replied

I am sure it is possible that there is something else afoot.... But as you said yourself, the oven works fine, all controls are functional, just a dimmed out display. This matches the symptoms that my oven had and just about everyone else that posted in this thread. I don't think anyone here claims to be an whirlpool-based oven expert, so I don't think you are going to get an alternative explanation for this issue on this forum. If you are worried about this second replacement, why not gamble $ to replace the capacitor on your original clock? You really don't have anything to lose. If it works you can send the replacements back to this shady sounding company and get the $$$ that you spent on it back.

Leave a comment:

• jmcbrg
    replied

Yes I have, but as I say I already have another replacement board in hand from the company I bought the first one from; I was just hesitant to install it for fear the actual problem was on some power supply board earlier in-line and it would just pop this one as well... at this point I'd just as soon replace the whole thing and be done. The first one I got from them was suspicious to start with, it wasn't in a box and it felt a bit greasy, so I wondered if it had come out of a used range somewhere. When I mentioned that on the phone the woman said, no, we would never d that and all our parts come new in the box. I told her this one hadn't and that it failed, she said I'll send another right out, she did and this one indeed was in a box and new. So I'll give it a shot.

Leave a comment:

• ben7
    replied

Originally posted by jmcbrg View Post
    I also have the dimming LCD problem, Jenn Air SVD48600W model. Mine continued to get worse and worse, just like everybody else's but before seeing this forum I ordered a replacement clock module. I replaced it, it worked for about a week then that one went completely dim. The place where I bought the module sent me a replacement at no cost, but before I put it in I wanted to see if anyone knows of any other reason this could be happening. I realize the module they sent could have been faulty (it looked for all the world like a used piece; even felt a bit greasy as though it had come out of a different range rather than new). All the functions still work fine, controls the stove, everything beeps as it should, but the clock is dimmed out completely. Is there an additional board that I should be investigating?
    Thanks
    --Jeff
    Nope, there still is an issue with the board! Have you ever soldered before?

@davnjax:
    If the caps aren't bulged its still a good idea to replace them, they can go bad without bulging!

Leave a comment:

• jmcbrg
    replied

I also have the dimming LCD problem, Jenn Air SVD48600W model. Mine continued to get worse and worse, just like everybody else's but before seeing this forum I ordered a replacement clock module. I replaced it, it worked for about a week then that one went completely dim. The place where I bought the module sent me a replacement at no cost, but before I put it in I wanted to see if anyone knows of any other reason this could be happening. I realize the module they sent could have been faulty (it looked for all the world like a used piece; even felt a bit greasy as though it had come out of a different range rather than new). All the functions still work fine, controls the stove, everything beeps as it should, but the clock is dimmed out completely. Is there an additional board that I should be investigating?
    Thanks
    --Jeff

Leave a comment:

• davnjax
    replied

I had the local appliance repair company try to "fix" the oven. He has a good reputation and has been great on other things. He called Jenn Air when he was working on the oven because it would not register the temp increase he was trying to enter. Jenn Air tech said it needs a new board. I had installed a new thermostat and element prior to that service call but it made no change in the oven temp so I think we can rule out a bad element. The oven is in my vacation rental, when I get an open day I'll open the cover and check for bulged capacitors, etc so your comment to open it up and have a look is a point well taken. Thanks!!

Leave a comment:

• ben7
    replied

Originally posted by davnjax View Post
    Thanks to this forum my oven now has a display, etc. This was wonderful. Now I'm wondering how I could figure out if there is a bad capacitor in my other jenn air oven. I can't adjust the temp on that oven. That oven doesn't get as hot as it should. There are steps to input and bump the temp by 5 degree increments but they don't work. Jenn Air says I need a new control board so for now I'm setting the temp 20 degrees higher than I want to circumvent that problem.
    Are you sure the heating element is not worn out?

Open it up and have a look inside

Leave a comment:

• davnjax
    replied

Thanks to this forum my oven now has a display, etc. This was wonderful. Now I'm wondering how I could figure out if there is a bad capacitor in my other jenn air oven. I can't adjust the temp on that oven. That oven doesn't get as hot as it should. There are steps to input and bump the temp by 5 degree increments but they don't work. Jenn Air says I need a new control board so for now I'm setting the temp 20 degrees higher than I want to circumvent that problem.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X